What do I do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Sep 18, 2011.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Sep 18, 2011

I was offered a Teacher Assistant position and quickly accepted. When I was hired I was under the impression that as a TA I would be working with a classroom special education teacher and splitting my day with her schedule. However, a week into the position I was informed that instead I would basically be a 1:1 aide for a student but that since some modification was needed for his schedule it was a TA position with a shadow component. This is not at all the job I had wanted since I left the school I had previously worked for the past 4 years in order to gain more teaching experience. In my previous school I was a leave replacement and then a 1:1 aide when the teacher returned. I don't really want to go through another year of being a 1:1 and I'm not sure how that would reflect on my resume. In addition, I have been told by countless people including the principal that the school does not see any teaching positions becoming available for the next several years. Which leads me to the question of do I leave this job and accept a position subbing or do I stick it out. What would look better on my resume and what would help me gain more experience? Thank you.

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

What are the disadvantages of being a 1:1 aide? Is it the pay or you don't simply like the work? I would personally take the aide job over subbing since it would be more consistent pay. What state are you in? I would the take the aide job this year, and then broaden my job search to either the whole state or other regions next year.

4. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Sep 18, 2011

I just really want to be in a classroom working with a wide range of students. I feel that the 1:1 aide position although consistent is making me question my love of teaching.

5. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Sep 18, 2011

If you signed a contract, I would say stay in your current position because it will look bad on resume if you break contract.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 18, 2011

Same thing happened to my friend Carol. Her situation involved being hired as a TA for a teacher and then having several of the students move out of the area. The schools only way to make sure she had a job was to give her a 1:1. She's sticking it out, but like you she's not happy.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

You have a job on Long Island, where there ARE no jobs in education.

Can we assume that means you also have a benefits package?

And that you signed a contract saying you would do this job until June?

I would stay at this job, and do a wonderful job at it. I would become indispensible to that class and to that child, doing everthing in my power to help him. Just imagine-- he gets 1 on 1 help all day long. Imagine the good you could do for this child.

Next year, when you're looking for that full time teaching job, imagine the letters you'll have from his parents, the classroom teacher, and the administration. The fact that your principal doesn't foresee any openings doesn't mean they won't happen-- people have kids and stay home, people retire, people's spouses get transferred, people decide they can't afford to stay on LI and move. If and when any of those things happen, YOU want to be the person they know they can count on to do the job.

8. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Sep 18, 2011

Unfortunately I don't have a benefits package. As per a contract all I signed was a piece of paper saying I accepted the position. If I was to leave the job it would be before October and I would leave the experience off of my resume. The reason that no positions are being seen for next year is because the district laid off close to a hundred teachers this year.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 18, 2011

If you signed a contract, I would stick with the position. You will find that education is a very small world. And you just never know when your P might change schools or even one of the teachers. Then, you go on an interview thinking... they will never know and this person sees you. Well, needless to say... Kiss that job good-bye. I moved many states away and I sincerely needed the help of the references I had on my resume. I was also surprised at the connections that I was able to form because of my previous experiences. It may not be ideal, but in the end, it may be your best option until the new school year. Start looking in January at surrounding districts. Make contacts that you can use as references in your building. Build a relationship with this child's parent so you can also have a parent reference. I know this is not fun. But try to stick it out.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2011

Coming from another Long Islander....

While I agree with most of you that once you sign on, that is it...this is not what she signed up for. They told her she would be a teacher assistant and she is not. (are they still paying you TA pay to do a 1:1 job? just curious)

The problem is... if you quit, there is no guarantee that you will get sub work since so many teachers were laid off everywhere. I have a few friends who are subbing and 2 have not worked yet at all (its only been 8 days but still)

I personally would discuss with my principal the fact that this is not what you thought you would be doing, so can you be considered if any other TA positions come up- at TA goes on maternity, etc. In this economy, I wouldn't quit with the what-if I can get called to sub everyday.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

As did many districts on LI.

Subbing wouldn't get you benefits either. Or the promise of working every single day. Or those letters of recommendation.

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

I would stick it out with the TA job, at least until the end of the school year.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2011

I'd never want to be a 1-on-1 aide in a million yrs. I just wouldn't want to have to work w/ just 1 handful of a kid day in & day out, plus you're right that there is no growth. HOWEVER, in this economy, when we have to make a living & pay the bills, I'd probably stick it out now that you have it.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2011

In my school, the timetables of our 4 educational assistants get changed a lot, based on the needs of the students. None of our students have one-on-one assistance, but needs do fluctuate. The student who has been okay with only minimal support for the first two weeks of school, may start new meds and need extra support while adjusting. All of us, educational assistants and Special Ed teachers, go where the needs are; I always joke that by the time we get schedules worked out and printed, they change.

You are gaining valuable experience and building relationships; I think you should stick it out.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2011

While it's not within my area of certification, I think it would be a remarkable opportunity to really make a difference in the life of one child.

"The Starfish Story
    adapted from The Star Thrower
    by Loren Eiseley (1907 - 1977)

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one." "