What do I do?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HP_Bug, Mar 9, 2010.

1. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

I was just told by my superintendent that my contract will not be renewed due to budget conflicts. Where do I start now? I feel so lost! Please help :(

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2010

Take a deep breath!! Then take a few days to not think about anything. Then start attacking applications. Look at all the districts that are within the driving distance you want to travel. Start filling out the applications for the districts you choose, update your resume, and write cover letters. Good luck!!!

4. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

I agree...take a deep breath...but also know that you are actually lucky that you found out this soon in the game. I didn't find out till June of last year...hence why I'm in your same boat this year. I would first off file for unemployment whenever you can (that has been my lifesaver this year). Additionally, I would update my portfolio, resume, create a coverletter, create a website, video resume, and brochure. Tell everyone that you met you are looking for a teaching job, and do everything the other person said. Finally, ask your principals for a letter of rec. It seems overwhelming, but break it down in order of importance. Don't forget...you're certainly not in this alone!!

5. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Mar 9, 2010

Good advice so far. Definitely get on unemployment once the school year ends.

Also, you need to be think about yourself and be selfish. What I mean by that is that you need to take a few days off to visit schools/districts to meet with principals and administration, and just get your name out there. I know a lot of teachers who are so consumed by their work ath their current schools that they never bother to visit other schools, though they would leave their present school in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

6. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

Thanks mistah. I think that's what I need to hear the most. "I have been there, and I got through it." It just feels like the rug was pulled out from under me. There was no inclination that this would happen. I was getting a lot of compliments from the administrators, things seemed like they were going very smoothly. I figured if something happened with the budget (parochial school, so budget is a big issue) I would be safe. But I guess I got ahead of myself. I've already looked for openings and there's my same position at a larger parochial school in my city that just opened up today. should i take this as a sign? maybe things will work out after all :)

7. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Mar 9, 2010

The district that laid me off last year is laying off another 29 teachers. Our district only has 207 teachers. Teaching in California is going to be tough for several more years. Why are we wasting $708 billion dollars on a losing war when we could be investing in our future? I am perplexed.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Mar 9, 2010

I don't know if "wasting" is the word I would use, but I totally agree. IMO, we need a priority check in this country!

9. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

It's funny cuz this is the first post I've every replied too....I would take it as a good sign...I'm sure you were meant to teach...However, don't make the same mistake I did and get your hopes up when something sounds promising only to find out it wasn't...I'm not trying to discourage you, but only saying you need to have the attitude of...if I don't get it..what's the worst that can happen? But if I do get it...HALLELUJIAH (sp)...When I got laid off in June of last year, I was in the same boat you're in....My kids scored the highest on the reading tests, I was voted "most popular 4th grade teacher", etc...and it hurts when you're let go and people who are lazy around you aren't!! However, sometimes you gotta' let go and let God...which has been a tough lesson to learn but it's true. I thought if I didn't have a teaching job this year, I didn't know what I'd do with myself, but the reality is...I didn't get one and I'm doing just fine. Don't get me wrong...it still sucks but another hard lesson I've had to learn is...no one owes you anything. That sucks but it's reality. Listen...do the things everyone else has been saying and you'll be fine. Are you willing to re-locate if it comes down to that? If so, contact me personally, and I will give you a list of counties I've found that seem to be hiring. Good luck with everything!! It'll all work out for the good.

10. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Mar 10, 2010

It sounds like lots of great advice given. Get your resume and a cover letter revamped. Then decide what places you might want to send your information to. Also, don't forget to network. Let others know what is happening and you never know they might know of a perfect job opening for you!

Good Luck!!!

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 10, 2010

Good advice.

Good luck!

12. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 10, 2010

I have lost several jobs due to cutbacks or the company closing. It is horrible and no words can make it better.

Apply for unemployment benefits. You paid for them with the taxes from your earnings.

Update your resume and start the search, again.

The last time I lost my job because of a closing, I ended up with a much better position.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

It hurts so much when you get cut. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I ended up looking so far outside my comfort zone to get a position. Don't feel guilty about taking a day off to job hunt now while you're still working. It's much easier to get a job when you're working than when you're not working. Get that unemployment claim started now. It takes several weeks for them to get everything processed.

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2010

I agree!!!