What do I do with this child??? (ADHD?)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Olivesmom, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

So my class is already driving me to the breaking point... I wish I could quit but anyway. I have a boy in my class (first grade) who cannot sit quietly or still. I have had ADHD kids in my class before but they have mostly just been restless. This boy hums or shouts CONSTANTLY. I cannot get through a book or give directions for an assignment because I have to remind him to have a quiet mouth. He doesn't hum or make noise quietly either, it is loud! If he isn't doing that he is pounding very hard on the inside of his desk or on his desk. I have tried to remind him to pat his legs so it isn't so loud but that hasn't helped. I try my best to stay calm with him and give him constant reminders but sometimes he will not follow directoins and if I give him a consequence he shouts NO at me or Stop talking to me! It is getting to be very hard to teach my class because he is constantly disruptive. I already had to move him off on his own because his constant noise was making some kids around him so frustrated they were crying. I know for sure I want to approach mom about some sort of evaluation but in the meantime what do I do? Suggestions? I wish I could say I was exaggerating but it is REALLY bad!

3. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I had a kid like this last year. The mom did not want him labeled so she pulled him out to home school him. But, he must have driven her BONKERS because he came right back! :eek:

I do NOT do well with all the fidgeting, humming, and such. I sometimes just stop and silently pray for patience. Good luck!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

I can relate, really I can. I have a hard time with the noisy ones and constant fidgeting while I'm teaching.

Give him:
    a fidget ball
    piece of velcro somewhere on the side of the desk to rub
    visual reminder of a quiet mouth

Put him on a contract of some sort to monitor the disruptiveness.

Good luck.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

One of my co-workers has a student just like this. He climbed over a locked bathroom stall yesterday. She had a meeting with the mom and principal tonight-they were going to tell her that she needs to either medicate or have him shadowed all day. Or else I guess he's going to get booted from the school. Can you principal help you like this?

6. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is this....we have loads of problems in our school. I work in the inner city and like it or not there are just tons of kids with problems...I mean we have drug babies, and other issues. Unfortunately he is one of a few kids but he is the one that drives me the most nuts. I have already talked to the principal about another kid who is also very disruptive but seems to do it on purpose. THe principal is new so I don't want to overload him. I am going to work with our social worker to also try to figure something out. I just can't believe how verbal he is. It almost makes me think of tourettes but I hate to diagnose. I do really like the idea of the velcro and the quiet sign. It sounds very similar to dealing with kids with autism.

7. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

I tried a fidget ball one year, but the other kids wanted one, too. How do you handle this?

Also, I tried giving students a pen to click. I tell them they can click that pen all they want, but they can not do anything else. Once they do, I take the pen away. It seems to help them focus.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

A clicking pen would drive me insane!

9. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I have a student like this - 3rd grade. He is diagnosed ADHD, and although dad has been telling me he was going to start new meds for the last week.... still nothing. He's extremely noisy, unable to stay in his seat for more than 4 seconds at a time (seriously... I timed him the other day), even when I read assignments to him we can barely get through a sentence before he's distracted. I tried to read him a science quiz today while he was playing with a rubiks cube - didn't help at all. His 2nd grade teacher says that the medication makes a HUGE difference, I'm just not sure I'll have the luxury of seeing him actually medicated.
    He cut his foot with glass this weekend & has stitches - even that didn't get him from running around the room today!

10. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

UPDATE! I tried to talk to mom today about testing and she poo-pooed it, saying she would take care of him and get him on track. I totally understand that there is stigma attached to this stuff and it is hard to come to terms with you child having issues, but honestly the boy cannot control himself...I am a little frustrated BUT now I am more determined than ever to document, document, document!!! That way when he continuously is being written up for disrupting the class it will make a stronger case.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

I have ADHD, but I was not "labeled" ADHD as a kid. That didn't happen until I was 36 years old.

Instead, the labels I got as a kid were things like "weird", "obnoxious", "spastic", "stupid", "lazy", "space cadet" and "on drugs."

I would have given anything to be "labeled" as having ADHD.

12. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

I completely see where you are coming from Sarge and I am so sorry that so many awful terms and names were used in describing you..how awful. People just don't think sometimes. I think unfortunately in the community I work in (which is inner-city, mostly African American) there is a resistance to testing and labeling because so many African American boys especially have been labeled inaccurately as having ADHD or other issues. However, I feel as if I have gotten pretty good at noticing when kids really have underlying issues and when maybe they are just full of energy and active children. One boy I have for example, is also very distracting and constantly talks, which some might think ADHD but I know he saw his dad get killed so to me I can just tell he is miserable and does not want to be at school because he is sad and just wants to make everyone else miserable. It is just too bad that there has been overdiagnosis in this population because then parents are put off. Now the mother of the boy who I am afraid has ADHD has decided to send in the grandmother to check on him and sit with him, which is fine if it works but my thought is that it will not last past the time she is sitting next to him.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 10, 2008

Start telling him that certain things you are doing are to "help him."

Give him the visual/velcro but tell him it is there to help him. If it is not helping, then you will keep it (notice I did not say take it) for a while but you will give it back when he feels like it will help him again. Then follow through (kindly). Give it back when he starts doing even slightly better. I know it seems to contradict the purpose of it but it works because the student wants it. The few students I tried that on gave it to me because I ensured them that I would give it back and it was to HELP. Another thing is if you do move him back, only do so when he is having issues. Don't keep him there. Again, use the word helping. He may not like it at first. Insist. Students I've used this on (even ones without ADHD) eventually come to see the chair moving as a positive calming down (area to fidgit) place. One student, the first one I started using this term on, even started REQUESTING this position.

With the help of others, see if you can find coping strategies to help him and always use the word HELPING.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 11, 2008

Me too. I usually have to outlaw them in my room by mid-January because the kids can't keep from clicking them.

Have you talked with your admin? It almost sounds like there might be more going on here than simply ADHD. When I read the original post, my innitial reaction was "this sounds like tourettes or a tick disorder (I had a child with one last year but it was silent thank goodness) or even autism." I'm not there to observe this child so I really can't say it is any of these, but I think it warrents looking into the possibility there is something else going on. Is the child diagnosed? medicated? Is an IEP in place?

On another note, since the noise making is loud and distracting, can you move him to another part of the room away from the class? It really isn't fair to his classmates to have to listen to this, especially if the noise is so distracting it is bringing others to tears. Also, give him to opportunity to bring in a small pillow. When he feels the need to talk/hum/sing have him do so into the pillow so the sound is muffled. I don't know how well this might work, but it's worth a try.

15. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Sep 11, 2008

I also would caution you to remember to use compassion with the child. My son is in 1st grade and has ADHD. We just got him meds this year, but he is an extrememly fidgety kid. He tries, but that his how he functions. Unfortunately for kids with ADHD the regular classroom setting isn't usually a best fit, but they need school, socialization and the feeling of normalcy that other kids have. My son, along with all children with disabilities, is a sweet and wonderful child. I know the feeling of frustration I get with him at home and can't imagine how difficult it is for the teacher, but try to keep the concept first and foremost in your thoughts that he is a child with needs and fears and a self-esteem that you need to nurture. In other words, don't let your annoyance show through. Try to find something to like about this child.

That said, what works well with my son is a few modifications.
    1. Tennis balls on 2 legs of his chair (diagonally). This lets him rock in his chair quietly.
    2. Chewing gum. This gives him something to do with his mouth other than talk.
    3. Fidgets
    4. Let him get up and take frequent breaks
    5. Rewards
    6. Lots and Lots of praise

16. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Sep 13, 2008

I have a boy who sounds quite similar. I recently put a huge rubber band (the kind that you use for exercise) across the legs of his chair so that he can bounce his feet up and down without making any noise. This has helped quiet the figeting a bit, if not the constant noise, and the other kids don't even notice it. I also let him stand whenever he needs to. My heart breaks for these kids because they are so disruptive that it effects not only their academics, but the other kids get so frustrated by them it effects them socially as well.

17. pamms

pamms Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I know in our county/state they are once again pushing inclusion for everyone except in very extreme cases. This just isn't fair to any of the kids. The kids that can't 'behave' in the way expected in a regular classroom and the kids who will be with those students suffer. That child is much less likely to get the kind of help and attention he needs (because it would be at the expense of the others) and the other kids lose instructional time because of the distractions, not to mention that the whole class misses out on things the teacher would LIKE to do with the class but can't because that one (or few) students would not handle it well....so frustrating. Anyway...I know I have seen in the past that no matter what the teacher said it got no attention or help from admin unless and until they truly saw it first hand. That can be accomplished by asking a counselor or admin to come observe or video taping (also helpful for showing parents) or, if needed, sending them to the office when they become excessively distracting so that the 'office' gets well aquainted with the student's behaviors.

18. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

twiddling thumbs

I teach my entire class the old fashioned twiddling thumbs!! Quiet, always there, etc!!(I am aging myself...:) ) I, too, like the fidget toys, but, for a whole classroom it can be distracting.(balls on floor, pipe cleaners all over, etc.) I wish my classroom had room for more sensory things, but with scheduling, etc., it is very difficult to take time for sensory breaks as often as I would like. I teach 2nd in FL and feel it is too much, too soon. The kids get stressed out and frustrated, as do some of us!

19. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Well, it is a whole lot better than all the other jazz. :p I usually put them in a place that is not distracting to me or the other students.