What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennaleigh, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

The good (amazing!) news: I got my first teaching job! It's for third grade.

The not-so-good news: I am completely lost as to what to do next. I got my keys, did my physical and filled out the paperwork etc. I am moving up there (it's an hour and twenty minutes from home and I still live at home - so my first time moving out) and have secured an apartment. Today I met with the principal to get my keys and do paperwork and now I won't see her again until August 19th, when new teacher orientation starts. I have that for three days, in-service for all teachers the entire week after, and school starts on September 1st.

I have access to my classroom (for now...they are going to be tiling it soon). I know I am going to go through and sort what the teacher left (a lot!) and figure out what to do with the things I don't need (she left a lot of old things and old curriculum books). I know I can make a welcoming bulletin board. I know I can start developing a classroom management plan. I can't make job charts or things like that because I do not have a list of my students.

So what else can I do? I feel completely lost as to how to start planning lessons, although I do have the curriculum books for reading and math. When I asked the principal about starting lesson planning she suggested I e-mail the two other third grade teachers, since we will be teaching the same things/at the same pace etc., but I'm not sure what exactly to ask them, since that's so broad of a question.

I also don't think I am given any money to spend on my classroom. No one has mentioned anything and I'm sure they would have by now. I have been to afraid to ask as I don't want to look...I don't know...greedy? :eek: But I am flat out broke until the year starts.

Any advice, any links for first year teachers, questions I should make sure I ask etc. would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 13, 2015

Ask the other two teachers if you may see a copy of one of their lesson plans. The school might have a required format. Also, if yall teach the same/same pace, you might do combined plans. We did that last year: one did all ela, one all math, one all science. We uploaded it to the web and printed a copy for each of us weekly.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 13, 2015

Email to other teachers:
    - share your excitement to be a part of their team and school
    - ask about lesson plans (mention P suggested contacting them when you asked about planning)
    - offer to assist in any way you can

Email your P and simply ask: Are there any classroom budget funds for purchasing classroom supplies? (That's not being greedy, its being proactive and efficient).

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2015

I agree with emailing the other teachers and just asking about how they approach lesson planning. I also think it's okay to wait on lesson planning until you start the in-service days, when you can talk to your team in person. You might all be learning new info that affects lesson plans and curriculum during those days anyway. I would probably start thinking about your first week or so, not in relation to curriculum but in how you will teach your rules, routines, and procedures and how you will do the getting to know you activities. You won't be starting curriculum on day 1 anyway. You might want to find out from your team if there are any rules, routines, and procedures that need to stay consistent between all of you or across the building. Sometimes new teachers come in with their own ideas only to find out that the building already has a way of doing things.

You could also start working on building a classroom library by finding inexpensive books at used book fairs that local libraries or non-profits often have or by shopping garage sales.

Other than that my best advice to you is to relax, enjoy the remainder of your summer, and try not to be too anxious or stressed. It's easy to go overboard with planning and stressing when you are new because there are so many unknowns. Rest assured that you will brainstorm and share your anxious feelings with other new teachers at your new teacher orientation and that experienced teachers in your building will very likely walk you through everything during the in-service days before school begins. Right now is the time to relax and enjoy the fact that you don't have anything pressing that needs to be done right now.