What do I do now that I'm not a teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 14, 2016.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 14, 2016

I used to spend all of my spare time on school work that I brought home, browsing Pinterest for teaching ideas, updating my classroom website... Pretty much only teaching stuff. Always. For the past 8 years.

So now that I'm a SAHM, I find that I'm pretty bored. My house is really clean and overly organized. (The other day, my husband said, "I think our house is TOO organized.") My daughter keeps me busy during her waking hours, but when she goes to bed, I just sit on facebook and watch TV.

If you didn't teach, what would you do with all of your spare time? I guess that's assuming that you have no life, like me. ;)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2016

Well, since I only taught about 10 hours a week this past year, I understand what you mean. Except that my house isn't as well organized as yours! But, I spend hours reading each day, and I also like various kinds of puzzles. I love browsing Pinterest - just not for school stuff. I don't shop much because I really can't afford it. I go to lunch with a friend or my sister about once a week. When a snowbird friend is down for the winter, we see the latest movies.

How old is your daughter? Before mine were in preschool, and I didn't work, I joined a play group and then a mommy and me group. We went to story hour at the library and met friends at the park once a week.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 14, 2016

My daughter is 16 months. I do need to join some mommy groups, and get out more. The tough part is that I'm currently pregnant, and I'm SO tired, and I have morning ("all day") sickness. So I hate making plans, especially since only a few people know I'm pregnant.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2016

Pigeon... congrats....

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2016

Pigeon... congrats!!! Can you come to my house??? Lol

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 14, 2016

Sure, if you don't mind a toddler running around! ;)

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2016

Nope got toys to keep toddler busy!! Lol

DrivingPigeon likes this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2016

Great news, DrivingPigeon! How wonderful. No, I bet you don't want to plan to get too much yet. But, you can look into groups in the meantime. Churches, local recreation departments, homeschool groups all can be sources of Mommy & Me groups. Some of our local libraries have drop-in story hours. That might work for you since you wouldn't have to commit to a certain time and date. Hope you are feeling better soon.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2016

Congratulations! As you're not feeling well, I am so happy for you that you can stay home.
    Do you like crafts? I mostly read in my little spare time, but cross-stitch is easy to learn, carry around with you, and do when you have a few minutes. I also like to sew. Made all the Halloween costume for my girls, sleeping bags for their dolls, and lots of sundresses. Now I make quilted wallhangings and baby quilts and the occasional larger quilt.

Library story times are great!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2016

Congratulations!! When I was home with my little ones (I had three in four years) I found opportunities to work at home. One year I made hair bows for a private company and was paid by the piece. I bought cheaper things and sold them for more money on ebay.

I also learned how to cross stitch and made samplers for all my children. I made baby blankets for them, also. Anything to keep my mind and hands busy.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2016

Oh, I remember cross-stitching my little fingers off. Especially in the fall when I made ornaments like crazy. Keeping the hands busy was very soothing.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2016

My cousin, who has been busy most summers (either with teaching or her masters), was describing to me yesterday how she has felt weird (this is her first summer with her first kiddo :)), but realizes she's still sort of treating it like a school day with her child, in a very loose sense. That is, they'll have "gardening time", and then "book time", and then "free play" time...probably not doing it justice, and it isn't strictly structured, but thinking of it that way has helped her keep herself busy while also providing great experiences with her kid!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 15, 2016

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I'm totally not a crafter at all, but maybe I need to start! I have a friend who started making clothing after her second baby. She makes them the cutest skirts and dresses. That could be fun!

Before teaching and kids, I spent a lot of time going to concerts. I went to a concert last week, and my old body was mad at me. :D There's no way I could do that anymore!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2016

:):D:p;)

16. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jul 16, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2016

Who cares did you see in concert?

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2016

Well I finish in 5 days. Mrs B already has a long lists of jobs for the Summer including emptying the attic and sorting out the stuff in there, followed by the garden shed and then the garage. I'm sure when the shed comes out I shall 're-discover' my golf clubs and my fishing rods ;)

19. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

Video games, books, netflix, tinkering with computers(building them, fixing them, ect).
    I'm not good at staying at home. We have been out of school since June 6 and I decided to teach summer school. That ended two weeks ago so this past week was my first week off. I've already gone crazy so I joined a gym and I've been going twice a day.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2016

I'll give you some things to do over here, ha!

How about...

- reading novels/magazines
    - pack your daughter up in the car & go for a drive sometime
    - take your daughter to some kind of mommy & me class
    - take up a new hobby
    - buy fitness equipment & exercise at home
    - get a dog...they're good company
    - cook meals for the week & freeze them, so you're all set

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 18, 2016

I'm not in a classroom of my own right now, either, and apparently school was my hobby! Planning, creating, searching, etc. was how I spent my free time! In the last year I learned that I enjoy:

-baking (Trying new recipes has become quite addicting. Good thing I have lots of friends who are willing and eager to eat it all!)
    - eating healthier and looking up healthy recipes, ingredients and products
    -making cards
    - running (if someone had told me 15 months ago that I would be running long distances and ENJOYING it, I would have laughed in their face!)
    - reading
    - decorating & rearranging my home

22. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2016

I've been home with my 16 month old since January. It was a really tough adjustment.
    I plan at least one outing a day (park, playgroup, lunch with my hubby)
    We've joined every playgroup I can find. I'd be a hermit if I could but he's soooooo social
    Walks,hikes, etc.
    he looooves window shopping downtown