What do I do? AAH! Quick advice please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by silvroses, May 19, 2008.

1. silvroses

silvroses Rookie

May 19, 2008

I normally am more of a reader than a poster, but I could use some advice. Here is my brief background info- I graduated in 2005 and am certified in grades 1-8 and have had absolutely no luck finding a teaching job (the market here in Southeastern Wisconsin is absolutely saturated.) Well, I did some interviews recently at some Catholic schools and two of them called me two hours apart! School 1 wants to meet with me later today because they are having a tough time deciding between me and another candidate. School 2 left a message on my voicemail (I am substitute teaching today and am on prep time right now) that they want to offer me the position!

Can I call back school 2 later and let them know I received another offer and ask for 48 hours to think about it?

School 1 really is my first choice- closer to home, more of a mixture of urban and suburban. School 2 is really nice as well although it is more inner city and is a longer drive. I absolutely loved the staff at both schools that I have met (both had the principal and 2 teachers at the interviews.)

Will it look bad for me to ask for more time from school 2 or is that something that is common?

Please if someone could let me know asap, it would be great.

P.S. I am so excited I am almost shaking! :)

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

I think that's fine to tell school 2 that you would like 48 hours to think about it and it is common. Many people need to discuss a job offer with their family before they can accept it. Good luck today and congratulations on the job offer!

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 19, 2008

Congrats! That is fine to tell them that you need some time :)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 19, 2008

Tell them you are excited and need to talk it over with your family (if you don't have one, it's vague for a significant other), and don't mention school number 1. I would think that would make them feel like they are second best, or that you aren't sure because there might be something better out there. I would just act super excited, and say you need to talk it over. Then see if you can stop in to school 1 this afternoon.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 19, 2008

And... CONGRATS! Just enjoy this feeling-I let it wash over me like a waterfall all day. Anxiety and panic will come later.. but enjoy the euphoria for the moment! ;)

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

I agree with Jem's advice. Congrats!

8. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 19, 2008

HI, I am in Northern illinois-right on the border of wisconsin and illinois. The market here is saturated also. I have not thought about Catholic schools yet. Does one have to be catholic to teach there? Good luck with your decision. Are you certified Wisconsin or Illinois?

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

I missed this earlier, but I agree with Jem's advice. So how did it go???? Fingers and toes are crossed for you!!!!

10. silvroses

silvroses Rookie

May 20, 2008

Update

Ok so here is the update:

I did go to School 1 yesterday and had another mini interview with the principal. She asked me four situational questions she created that were based on situations that happened in the school this year. She seemed to really like my answers, and one of the questions she asked was actually a situation I was in on Friday! I told her what happened and how I handled it, so that was an added bonus.

The only thing that stinks is that the other candidate cannot come in until Wednesday (tomorrow) so the principal at school 1 will let me know her decision tomorrow night or Thursday morning. I am glad I let her know about school 2's offer so she at least knows that I am on a deadline. She mentioned that when she was offered her principal position, she did request 3 days to think about it before accepting, and that that sort of thing does happen often.

I called School 2 after my meeting and I left a voicemail (no one was there because it was after hours), thanked them for the offer, and requested to have until Thursday to talk it over with my family. I am very excited, but time is going so slow! I hate having an offer hanging out there, but hopefully it will be worth it. :)

11. silvroses

silvroses Rookie

May 20, 2008

I am certified in Wisconsin- I live near Milwaukee in Waukesha County. I have practically given up on the idea of teaching at a public school. I work as a substitute teacher in a suburban school district in the area which has recently had some job postings. I found out that the first grade position they recently posted received 416 applications, which is shocking because you can't apply online at all and have to submit all paper applications by mail or in person. They had a sixth grade position last year that received over 600 applications and didn't hire any of those people- it turned into the "who you know" game.

You do not necessarily have to be Catholic to work at a Catholic school, but I am not sure since I am Catholic. Some schools say in their ads that a practicing Catholic is preferred, others do not specify. Most have not asked me about it in interviews, so I am not sure. I know the pay is less at these schools, but I like the environment better and the competition is far less at this time of year.

12. silvroses

silvroses Rookie

May 21, 2008

So, school 1 called back- and offered me the job and I accepted! I am so excited, and am going in tomorrow to sign my contract. Woo hoo! Finally!

I am just nervous about calling school 2 tomorrow to decline their offer- I feel bad!

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 21, 2008

Congrats!!!!!!

They will understand. You had a better opportunity. Thank them for the chance to work for them, and you wish them the best...or something ;)

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2008

Congrats!

15. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 22, 2008

Congrats!!!!

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

Congratulations! What grade will you be teaching?

17. silvroses

silvroses Rookie

May 22, 2008

Thank you everyone! I will have a 7th grade homeroom and will teach them Language Arts and Religion. The rest of the day the classes rotate and I will be the 5th through 8th grade Science teacher! This is great because in addition to my 1-8 certification, I am also certified in Language Arts and Science, so this position will play to my strengths.