What do HAVE TO HAVE in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by MrsCAD, Jul 6, 2006.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 6, 2006

What do YOU TO HAVE in your classroom?

I am in the process of buying items for my classroom and always wonder if things I "think" I need, I really will. So, what are things you would suggest buying that you just can't live w/o in your classroom?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  3. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I am an elementary teacher so I am trying to modify this to only include items that a secondary teacher would use also.
    EZ Grader
    tons of pens
    Dry Erase Markers
    Vis-a-Vis Markers
    small fridge
    bright inspiring posters
    electric pencil sharpener
    desk organizer
    stapler
    3 hole punch
    CD Player and classical CD's

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

teacherbell just about covered it all, but I'll add:

digital timer
    magnets
    plants
    lysol
    label maker
    tons of storage bins

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, battery operated fan-style air fresheners, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. A couple fresh green plants. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 7, 2006

My essentials are:
    pens
    chalk or dry-erase markers
    construction paper
    sharpie markers
    chart paper
    hand lotion
    snacks for me
    a pair of purely comfortable shoes to keep in the class (mine are flip-flops which I usually put on during planning time--it feels like heaven to give the feet a break! :)
    calculator

8. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jul 7, 2006

lol, hescollin, did you forget anything??:eek:

I had to have a 20+ ounce mug for my coffee. (And a classroom near the bathroom....):rolleyes:

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

Too funny, emccoy. I need my huge insulated iced tea cup. I doubt I can add anything necessary to these super lists. I do make sure the candy treat box has something in it I like, and I try to keep packages of peanut butter crackers. I keep a small mirror in my desk with lipstick, powder.

Craft supplies:
    beads, lacing, foamies, felt, glitter, 'gems', card stock, scrapbooking cutouts, ribbon, string, brads, paper shape punchers, decorative scissors, stampers... my own paper cutter (kept in the closet for safety).

I keep monthly files for seasonal activities and put window clings (work great on white boards, too), some small BB cutouts, and holiday stickers in the file folders.

10. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

I'm in middle school and the majority of the above applies to me, too.

I would also add:
    **stack trays for turning in papers (one for each class)
    **an organizer to store papers. (I usually run off everything needed for a unit at one time.)
    **Crates to put hanging file folders in.
    **sticky notes of all sizes
    **rubber cement
    **the usual desk supplies (stapler, paper clips, scissors, etc.)but check to see what the school supplies.
    **bandaides
    **clorox wipes (or similar)
    **small lamp desk

I would love a fridge and microwave, but it is not allowed in my school

11. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 7, 2006

ROLAIDS!

You just never know when a stomach ache will hit!

12. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

rubber gloves!!!!!

Bloodborne pathogens are very real!!!!

13. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Thanks for the lists

I was just hired and am going on a buying spree, LOL

14. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Ohhh

How bout a wooden hall pass? Something HUGE so the kids won't want to 'borrow' it permanantly to skip classes :)

A camera for photos! Digitals are very inexpensive now.

Calculator (a good one!)

Stickers (for younger kids)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  15. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

One thing I purchased and everyone in the building now comes and borrows from is a $10.00 tool kit in a hard plastic case with molded places for each of the tools that came in it-- a hammer, screwdriver, pliers, tape measure, etc. It has saved the day many times!

Also, if it applies, dont forget to have a box of feminine products tucked away in your desk along with a bottle of pain reliever.....After I student taught, my mentor teacher gave me a basket full of little items to keep in my desk with post-its stuck to each thing saying what it was for--4 years later, my little refillable tylenol bottle still has the post-it taped to it that reads "trust me.....you'll need this....." Makes me smile even when I have a headache coming on!

She also gave me scented candles to mask odors children think are so funny and hand sanitizer. I also bought vanilla car air freshener in a little pump spray bottle--vanilla is supposed to be a calming scent....

If you will have recess duty, buy an umbrella to keep at school and a cheap raincoat for those days that it is not raining bad enough to have inside recess.

Hit up the goodwill stores--they can be a treasure trove....

16. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

ALSO, those plastic milk-type crates you can get for $4.00 at dollar general hold hanging file folders great--easily access and neat.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2006

The only things I have to have are something to write on, something to write with, some place to teach and students.

That said, I can teach more efficiently with a computer, projector and sound system, or at least an overhead projector.

I think I will be using a digital camera to make seating charts with pictures. Keeping track of the names and faces of as many as 200 students that change every 9 to 18 weeks is problematic.

A source of caffein and sugar makes life easier, too.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Well, I HAVE to have a dry erase board...but I don't! :(

19. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Go buy white tile board at your Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. It comes in 4x8 sheets and works the same as an expensive white board. Usually costs less than $10/sheet.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

I am in the process...but it's just not the same as I am very particular! Thanks though...

21. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 9, 2006

forgot to mention a hot glue gun and a big bag of gluesticks. I would love to spring for the cordless kind but having a cheap one has its advantages too since I have replaced one already after it was "borrowed" by another teacher.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 9, 2006

and oddly enough...I tend to need paintbrushes and never seem to have them or enough of them.

23. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 9, 2006

A good staple remover can't hurt either! Not one of the 'claw' models, but instead one that is shaped like a nail file. They cut the bulletin tear down time in half! (A pointy knife will also work) =)

Chenelle

24. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2006

advil (or any other pain med) is a MUST!!! I stock up each year and keep it in my desk.....
    I also must must have a hand sanitizer and cream on my desk....I am nuts w the germs!!

25. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2006

I think I have OCD when it come to germs. I have hand sanitizer wipes for myself(I use them frequently), and I also spray my room down with lysol almost every afternoon when the kids leave. I Spray chairs, desks, pencil sharpener, door knobs...( extreme, I know). When I first started teaching I was sick all the time, but since I have started my lysol obsession(plus vitamin C) I'm rarely sick.

26. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Jul 11, 2006

a staple gun for stapling kids to the wall on those crazy days. j/k

you will need a staple gun to make quick work of bulletin boards.

27. T. Shreve

T. Shreve New Member

Jul 15, 2006

Couldn't imagine living without...

Since I teach 8th grade one of the more obvious things is Teylenol: )
    I must also have:
    chapstick
    lotion
    deodorant
    tums
    glade oil plug-ins
    air freshener
    extra pencils (for kids to buy)
    divided paper tower w/12 slots for "incoming" & "outgoing" papers for every period (available at Sam's or office supply stores)
    simple folder w/ pocket for every period to keep papers organized while grading
    recycle box
    white board w/accessories
    plastic organizer box (like for screws, nails, etc.) to put basic office supplies in (these are GREAT) Mine is large & sits right on my desk...bright yellow, easy to find!
    lots of posters & lots of color
    pictures of family/friends/past & former students
    electric pencil sharpener
    Lots of Post-its
    Both spiral notebooks and memo pads for notes, lists, etc.
    hmm...I'm sure there is more....good luck!

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2006

Am never without:
    large bottle of Advil
    Clorox wipes
    chocolate (for medicinal purposes!)
    hand cream
    lip balm
    lots and lots of pens
    3 or 4 staplers (I can never put my hands on one when I need it)
    heavy duty hole punch
    every size and shape Post-it note
    "Teacher's Pencil"s
    tub of gummy worms or jelly beans
    bins of all shapes and sizes for books, papers, etc
    blank and lined paper
    my "smiley face" notepaper--perfect for writing notes to students and to other staff when asking for a favour!
    magazine files
    label maker
    envelopes--all shapes and sizes
    file folders--again, all sizes and colours

This is just a start--no wonder I had so much to pack when moving rooms this year.

29. T. Shreve

T. Shreve New Member

Jul 15, 2006

What part of Arkansas??? I'm in Fayetteville, but from the northeastern part originally!

30. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

One thing I've become "famous" for at my school is personalized stamps. I went to Staples and had several stamps made for when I collect homework. Here's what they say:
    *Homework not turned in
    *Homework turned in but incomplete or sloppy
    *Late Homework Pass used: HW due next school day
    *HW not turned in due to absence. Make-up work due by_______
    *HW was turned in!

When I collect HW, I stamp each kid's agenda with the appropriate stamp. This allows parents to know what's up with a kid's HW and also lets the kid see at a glance how well they are doing about turning stuff in. I chose green for the HW was turned in stamp and red for the *bad news* stamps and black for absences.

This is a long explanation but I LOVE having these stamps! It saves me loads of time writing individual notes home.

I'd recommend ordering some!

31. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

TYLENOL!

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

For years I have been using the bottom of my scotch tape dispenser as a hammer. Pitiful, I know. Finally, I purchased a small hammer for the room. Sheesh. Not like a major purchase or anything. I buy tons of fun things that I really can live without ..... hammers aren't too fun, but I sure am glad to have one there!