What do do about whining?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 22, 2016

High schoolers seem much more whiny than middle schoolers. With MSers I would just say "I'm sorry you feel that way" and move on. They're intelligent enough to realize that they're whining and stop it because they know its silly.

With HSers, when I say that they, just roll their eyes groan, and whine to their partners about it who usually lend sympathetic ears, so the whining continues. Scratch that, they usually are whining to their partners and never directly to me anyway, but they're usually whining about me in loud voices so I can hear. I rarely respond to it. I was hoping that ignoring it would make it go away, but the whining continues and it just gives me a very negative vibe about my classroom.

Most of the whining is about stupid things like "Ugh, what are we doing right now? I don't know what to do, this class is so stupid, he never explains anything, blah, blah blah." In reality, I have the instructions posted on the board, I've made sure I had their attention before describing what to do, and nearly everyone in the group knows what to do so they can just ask them.

Or we're taking notes, and I also read aloud what I'm writing as I'm writing it so they can hear it and see it and usually 2 or 3 times, but I have a bunch who whine about not knowing what to write. If they listen and stop trying to whisper conversations all of the time, then they would get what to write down. My tack right now is to ignore their whining and let them reap the consequences of not listening, but any tips on how to tackle whiny dramatic high schoolers?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2016

Offer them some cheese to go with their whine? ;)

IDK ... whiney hineys are annoying. My daughter is one.

Obadiah and Linguist92021 like this.
  4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2016

I had a student whine to me yesterday that he hasn't turned in work because I am so disorganized and my materials don't make sense and he doesn't know what do and whine, whine, whine.

I supply a unit handout that includes: objectives, unit due dates, all unit handouts. The course websites also has all of this material available in a numbered list format. I've been complimented numerous times on how clear my expectations are. My materials are designed to fully support a flipped classroom with a high absentism rate, so students can actually go straight through everything on their own if they have to.

He finally admitted he had never even read the first page of the handout.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2016

I'm the same way as you, I have everything on the board. The warm up tells them exactly what to do, but a lot of kids just stare at it and start copying. It's not copying usually, you have to do something with what's on the board. So they often ask, not really whine, but it's just as annoying. I just tell them to look on the board and read directions, and I point to the board and say 'read the directions' as many as 5 times.
    Eventually they'll get it.

Do you think it's really that they don't know what to do, or they just want to complain? At my last year I had so many complainers and whiners, complained about everything, it was so annoying. Everything was 'boring' to them (which is just a code for a lot of other things) or they whined that it was too much work. My response was that if they keep complaining, I will show them what really is a lot of work.

But normally I would cut it all out by telling them to stop talking.

You can either do that, or put some on the spot.
    "if you have a question, why don't you ask me? ... what is it that you don't understand? did you pay attention when I explained it? Do you know that the directions are on the board? ... well, now you know, and from now on, everyone please take notice when i tell you what to do so I'm not repeating myself, and please remember everything is on the board" I would say this one time in each class, and from that point on just point to the board, or tell to stop talking or ignore.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 23, 2016

Whining has no age division. I'm sure you know adults who whine. Try to forget about the content and focus on the fact they are talking during instruction. If they are talking to neighbors then they are not engaged in the lesson. Often the direct question, "Are you going to stop, yes or no?", limits their response. Avoid backtalk starters like "You two were talking" and "I want you to stop talking" and "Turn around and get back to work" as they are topic sentences for continuing backtalk ... "But I don't know what to do!?" ... "You went too fast!" ... "This is dumb!" ... "I was just asking her/him a question about your notes!"

Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016

I was just subbing in the SPED room where all the TAS did was b**** and moan about everything, LITERALLY EVERYTHING! It was pay day and they whined about their pay check, "We should be getting more money!" And yet all they did was sit around all day texting, gossiping, looking at the newspaper and complaining. Those whiny students just become whiny adults. "Oh this is too hard," "I don't understand," "I can't do this ..."
    [​IMG]
    :mad:

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 23, 2016

This is exactly what I feel like I've been dealing with. I put so much effort into making my handouts and work foolproof with a clear organization system, clear instructions, I also have a website that has all of our materials on it, etc. Yet students don't listen and immediately shut down because they don't know what's going on, or they instantly dislike my system for no reason at all and refuse to use it, and then get confused when all of their papers get lost.

I feel like I'm dealing with students that "think" they have it all figured out and they feel like shoving papers into a backpack or refusing to listen to instructions "works for them" because they've gotten away with it in the past (i.e. the teacher sat with them and reexplained everything so they never had to listen the first time, or the teacher lets them get caught up by giving them full credit for months late work when they're so far behind [which I am guilty of right now due to pressures from admin]), but then they are all confused when they fail because they're not keeping up with the work because they're screwing around in class.

Now I feel like I'm whining.

This is a good idea. I usually just say "<NameHere>, stop talking." They stop for a second, but usually get right back to it once I start talking again. Not usually loud enough to be disruptive, but they're missing important instructions. If they talk back, I just ignore and walk away.

It's taken me a while to figure out how I'm going to do classroom management at this new school because it has a lot of weird systems and essentially no supports to handle classroom behavior on your own.

I'm going to use a version of time-out I call "independent study", and suck it up and do referrals, because there are no intermediate consequences I can give. So warning, time-out, referral/phone call home.

I have to figure out how to teach this this late into the year and have them take it seriously.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016