What do discuss with my Parents during Parent Meeting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Aug 13, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

My parents will come in for a meeting on Wednesday. I usually go over my letter (in fact, I hand it out to them that night), and I discuss rules, and procedures on homework (the homework folder, homework calendar, when to return it, etc.). I can't, for the life of me, remember what else I have talked to them about in the past, and I am trying to get my talking points at least thought of (I'm also really exhausted from this week, and today which I spent in my room again, painting).

What do you all discuss with your parents when you first meet them as a group?

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 14, 2011

I teach kinder, so many of my parents are new to the school! I go over arrival, pick up procedures like where to get carpool number, how the children will be getting home the first day etc., lunch forms, snacks, extra clothes, have them fill out emergency cards so they don't have to worry about returning them later, wish list, and answer any questions they have!:) I also go over my welcome packet...I do a Kindergarten ABC's list...I don't go over each point but I do give it to the parents to review at home...I also give them my parent letter and my contact magnet. This year I'm hoping to end with a scavenger hunt of things/places in my classroom and kindergarten wing!:)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

We talk a little about what their child will learn and introduce them to where the textbooks are online or other resources are. We also talk a little about what they can do at home to support their child.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

I have a Power Point that highlights the content curriculum we will be exploring and quick overview of class 'rules'. It's nice because I stay focused and get to highlight the SmartBoard technology.:)

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2011

Since I teach kinder, I also go over bathroom procedures, letting parents know that their child cannot go to the bathroom whenever.

I also talk about birthday parties & what they can & cannot send in.

I go over the discipline policy. My expectations in the classroom & how parents can help both at school & at home.

The school calendar. . .I tell them that I try & remind them about days off, but it is their responsibility to keep with the school calendar. Same with PTA meetings, the few dress down days we have etc.

I let them know that I send home a weekly newsletter.

7. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

In my last school back-to-school night was very unstructured. Parents were free to move in and out of your rooms so it could be difficult to have a set time to speak with all (or the majority) of parents in attendance. For this reason I usually had a SMARTBoard presentation going reviewing who I am, some highlights of the grade, and information about our school. This allowed parents to have something to look at while I spoke with another group.

For the kids, I typically have a scavenger hunt for their new classroom. When they finish it, I have them turn it into me for a prize (usually a pencil). That keeps the students occupied and in the room.

Thanks for reminding me I need to ask my new colleagues how the back to school night runs at my new school.