What different types of meetings does your school have?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Dec 22, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

I'm having a difficult time articulating my thoughts here. Here's what I'm getting at: at our school, every week we have a departmental meeting. Other than that, we have a monthly school-wide meeting which actually tends to occur once every two months (but still referred to as the "monthly" in-service meeting).

What other meetings do you guys have? I used to be at a HS where we would rotate our meetings: department, grade, subject, school-wide, etc.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

Oh, and here's what I am also driving at (still early yet, boy I need my coffee to kick in). Do you have different teacher-teams that oversee things? Like, for example, curriculum, assessment, etc.? Do those teams meet regularly, and if so, what is their function?

4. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

When I taught HS, we had Department meetings every week, and a staff meeting every Tuesday after school.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

We have a staff meeting every week, but it gets cancelled at least once a month. We're so small that sometimes it's just easier to send out an email or walk down the hall...

We have a department meeting with the administration once every 6 weeks. We never meet as a department on our own unless there is a really big issue. Our biggest department only has 4 people, and all of us are housed next to each other, so our meetings tend to occur in the hallway. :)

When I taught at a traditional school, we had staff meetings about once a month, department meetings once a grading period and level meetings EVERY DAY (it was built in to our schedule).

There were also "committees" for curriculum, discipline, attendance and one or two other things. Each committee had a rep from each department and at least one admin. They met once a month or so, depending.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2011

We have a team meeting daily to discuss the needs of the students, common planning, writing across the curriculum, etc.

We have monthly curriculum meetings (you choose one area to belong to). These meet every week, but each teacher only attends once a month.

We have monthly SIP curriculum meetings (specifically how we are meeting our school improvement goals in reading, writing, math, and behavior). Again, you choose one to belong to. These meet every week, but again, a teacher only attends once a month.

We have a monthly staff meeting.

We have bi-weekly RtI and behavior meetings to discuss our students. We look at data, test scores, classroom monitoring, progress monitoring, then we make decisions for RtI for our students in math, reading, and now behavior.

I think that's all our meetings, but I may have missed some...

7. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

I work in ten schools, and I do not have to attend any of their meetings. It is nice to avoid meetings, but I do not feel that I belong at any school. I have an office in the central office building.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 22, 2011

We have weekly collaboration meetings. We are scheduled for weekly staff meetings, but they are often cancelled. The building has a management team meeting,a school improvement meeting and a district improvement meeting. I am not a part of any of those teams. : )
    IAT meetings are held as needed.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

Monthly staff meetings. That's it.

Our department consists of two so we usually have impromptu meetings if we feel the need.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2011

We have:

Staff meetings of 1 hour (about 6 per year)
    Faculty meetings of 1 hour (6 per year)
    Department meetings of 1 hour (6 per year)
    Pastoral meetings of 1 hour (6 per year)

Having said that is is rare that the meeting would last less than 1 hour and frequently they run over by 15 minutes or more.

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Dec 22, 2011

I'm on a few committees, so I have more than others, but I have:

Faculty Meeting - once monthly
    Department Meeting - once monthly
    IEP Meetings - typically one every few weeks
    Building Leadership Meeting - twice monthly
    School Improvement Meetings - twice per semester
    Scheduling Meetings - once per week (or more), 2nd semester only

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2011

Full staff:

Staff meeting after school (for about 75 minutes) once/month.
    Divisional meeting after school (less than an hour) once/month

I have several others each month because of committees that I sit on and my Special Ed responsibilities.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 23, 2011

We do have different committees that do different things. For the entire staff there is:

PD- 90 minutes one morning before school a week
    Staff meeting- 60 minutes before school once a month (different day than PD- we still have PD those weeks)
    Data team meeting- 60 minutes before school once a month (also on a different day than staff meeting and PD)

My additional meetings:
    IEP- at least one per week, sometimes two
    RtI- once a week- those of us on the committee attend every week, teachers seeking help from the team will come maybe once every 6-8 weeks or so
    Title 1- once a week
    Behavior/PBIS- twice a month
    Sped district-wide meeting- once a month

Other meetings I'm not a part of:
    AD team (for admins)- twice a month
    ILT- school leadership team for mentors, masters, and admin- once a week
    Social- once every two months
    Grade level teams- some teams meet about once every two weeks, some teams work together informally, and some teams really don't meet at all. It's up to the teachers.

14. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 23, 2011

We have full staff meetings a few times a trimester (more in September and June).
    We have weekly meetings with our grade level and also another meeting with our cycle (here they divide Primary into three cycles: 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, and 5th-6th). There is also a Pedagogicial Comission meeting monthly that the Cycle Coordinators attend and then transmit the information to everyone else in the Cycle meetings. Then there are Department meetings when necessary. All of these meetings take place during lunch break, but we get two hours (one to eat and one for meetings or planning-- the kids either go home for lunch or eat at school and then have recess.)

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2011

Our Wednesday afternoons are for campus staff meetings. We usually have them at least twice a month, but have been known to happen more than twice a month. We have a grade level meeting at least once a month on a Tuesday, but I have called them if something has come up unexpectedly. We have RTI meetings once every six weeks. I am on a cohort team for our curriculum and we meet once a month as well. District meetings for all teachers happen at least once or twice during the year. I am also on the district improvement committee, we meet three time a year.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2011

Waterfall--what time do your students begin if you have 60 or 90 minute meetings before school? Our instructional day starts at 8:05 and while I'm an early bird, I can't imagine being in a meeting at 6:30!

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2011

Faculty - 1/month
    Department - 1/month
    Grade Level - 1/month
    IB - 1/month

Two other committees I'm not on meet once a month.

I'm on SAC - that meets 1/month.

And then parent conferences can be scheduled anytime of the year with 24 hours notice. IEP meetings need two weeks' notice.

Mrs. C - our work days begins at 6:30AM. I'm usually at work by 6:10 so I can set up my room before conferences/meetings.

18. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Dec 23, 2011

I have had principals take the time of all of the teachers for meetings that have nothing to do with half the teachers. Here is just one example to show how ridiculous it can get. This meeting could have been over in 15 minutes, but dragged on for another 45 minutes when one teacher wanted to know details about housing for just a few teachers who lived on campus for some reason. The principal didn't have enough sense or consideration to let the rest of us go. We could have left because as it turned out, there were no remaining topics that were pertinent to teaching. The principal was a know-it-all who needed teacher input as a cover - the kind that makes you realize that anything you say may come back on you. The principal seemed to feel proud of being able to run the meeting with such craftiness.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 23, 2011

School starts at 8:30, the PD starts at 7 and the staff meeting/data team starts at 7:15. You have to be really prepared on the PD days because we go straight from the meeting downstairs to pick up the kids from the playground. Those teachers that have morning duties (playground, breakfast club- the kids don't come to classrooms until teachers pick them up) leave the PD session early. Last year school started at 8 and meetings were after school. I thought I'd hate the morning meetings because I'm not a morning person, but I actually find I like it better to get them out of the way and then just be done after school. Our kids go until 4:00 and our contract time is up as soon as they leave- I like being able to get out right away if I need to.

I also forgot to add on my post- I also have a "sped team" meeting once a week for just the staff at my school (the other sped teacher, the psych, the OT, and SLP).

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2011

1. Faculty meeting every Thursday. Sometimes it's about technology, sometimes about teacher evaluation system, etc. However, we were just told before Christmas break that he was cutting back on those!

2. team meeting at least once a week--we're getting better at keeping it brief and meaningful. We had a meeting recently about how unproductive it was, and so we're taking steps to fix the problem.

3. SST and RTI meetings--way too many

4. Special Ed re-eval meetings--manditory--seems like a lot, but I guess not.

5. Staff development meeting--book talk--supposed to have several but have only had one

6. PTA type meeting four times a year.

I think that's it. Except parent meetings. Two per year mandatory, but some kids get a few "extra special" meetings.

We also have a "teacher work day" at the beginning of next semester. The superintendent has told the principals to not schedule any meetings on that day. He says were "overworked" and "stressed" enough, and we need time to work in our classrooms and work on plans. I love this guy.

21. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 25, 2011

We have staff meetings before school once every other week for about 45 minutes.

We have grade level collaboration during our special times once per week for an hour.

We get out 1:30 every other week for inservice. Meetings vary between our building, elementary, and whole district.

I am currently on the technology and playground committees which are at least once per month after school.

We have meetings once per month for each child that we have on a Care Team Plan. Right now I have 2 and will be adding at least one more when we get back.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 25, 2011

We have full staff meetings on the first Monday of the month. I am the only one in my grade level, and the kindergarten teachers or first meet when the need arises. The first grade teachers are better at keeping me in the loop, but on paper I am in the kindergarten group.

23. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Dec 31, 2011

Do they hope teachers complain because we didn't have a mtg.?

We have a lot of unnecessary staff meetings - once a week usually running overtime for 1.25 hours. We often wonder why we don't have meetings for things that are necessary. I wonder if they really need teachers to complain so they have an excuse to have a lot of staff meetings. Really it often seems like they love to hate teachers.