What did you/will you wear on the first day?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by EngTeacher15, Aug 11, 2007.

1. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Aug 11, 2007

What did you/will you wear on the first day of school?

I teach 9th and 12th graders (although last year I taught only 9th). Last year I wore a black blouse with a nice skirt. This year I was thinking of wearing white slacks and a nice top, but I'm not sure.

On the same note, how casual is your dress code for teachers at your school? We can't ever wear jeans (some schools allow it on pay-days), and we're not supposed to wear open toed shoes, but a lot of females still do.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

Umm, I'm gonna wear clothes, I think that would be best. :toofunny:

Seriously, I plan on wearing something cool on top, I have nice slacks, but I will find a cool top. I am on the third floor with direct sunlight, I think it is going to be hot in there.

I can wear jeans on Fridays.....with a nice top

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

I wore a pair of black pants with a red shirt. We are allowed to wear jeans on special days. My school is on a campaign this year to make everyone dress better. It had gotten fairly casual over the past couple years and now they want "professional dress." This came about because the faculty complained how bad the students dressed and so they cracked down on both students and faculty. I teach in a catholic school and the students had gotten pretty sloppy in their uniforms over the past couple of years.

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I'm thinking I might wear this brown, flowy, knee length skirt and a oxford button up shirt (with the sleeves rolled up!).

I wonder if they will address dress code at all the meetings Im attending over the next two weeks because I need to go shopping!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 11, 2007

My school is fairly casual--jeans are pretty common every Friday, and the most dressy during the week is usually black pants and a top. Of course, we are an elementary school and most of us are on the floor for a portion of the day. For the first day, I will probably wear dress slacks and a nice top.

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

I'm going to wear a long khaki vest over matching pants and a white top. My students are starting to wear uniforms this year and I want to blend in the first day.

We have a new principal, and with the uniforms for kids, I feel they will be "watching" teacher dress closely. It was fairly laid back. :)

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2007

I am going to be wearing a short sleeve button-up shirt and tie, khakis, and a pair of my comfortable dress shoes (which I was sneak enough to put the really comfy insoles that usually go into athletic shoes in them. I think the tie I am going to wear is going to be the tie that has our school mascot on it.

9. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Chicken Suit,...no seriously I am going to try to wear a tie this year for the first day of school.

Last year, I only would wear a tie during basketball games but I decided that I would try to wear more ties this year.

My problem is that I have two athletic periods (on both sides of my day) so it is tough to dress out for athletics then get all spiffed up again before class starts.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I try to dress much more professionally the first few days than I normally would and slowly pulling back from that. I've found it sets a nice tone.

I found a BEAUTIFUL pinned stripped pant suit at JC Penney's on sale for $40! It's very sleek looking. I look GOOD in it! :D

I know it's been said a million times, but I do believe that many of the kids, parents and administrators treat you differently when you dress nicely. I think it sends a powerful non-verbal message that I take my job seriously.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

If it's hot, khaki coloured cropped pants, a matching short-sleeved jacket with a brown tank top underneath. The first day I will spend in the office helping with new registrations, organizing bus tags and doing general running around (in between, I'll be going through my students' files and trying to put together my Resource Room timetable). I'll need to be comfy!

12. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I'm planning on wearing my favorite pin-stripe suit. I feel that the best way to let the kids know I mean business is to look business-like. Our principal really pushes for us to dress professionally, but we get one day a month to wear jeans. Some complain, but I like it! I feel that the parents and the students take me more seriously when I'm dressed to impress.

13. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I usually wear a suit, dress, or skirt and blouse on the first day...then again on my formal observation day. The rest of the year is usually slacks or khakis. We can wear jeans on Friday IF we wear our spirit shirts.

Lyquidphyre~If they don't address the dress code in your new teacher meetings, it will definitely be in the employee handbook. You should be able to access that on the district website even before you go back.

14. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

Our dress code just states that "our attire must match our professionalism"... kinda vague!

I'm probably going to wear a pant suit the first day. I'm just a little worried though, because it is hot, hot, HOT here, and I'm roaming between classrooms.:eek:

15. txteacherRSS

txteacherRSS Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I always wear a suit the first day. I always end up dressing real nice at the beginning of the year and slack off the rest of the year. We can wear jeans every Friday with our spirit shirt as well as any other spirit days and during standardized testing. Our school environment is pretty relaxed as far as dress code and I love it.

I did hear one time that you should dress to match the job you WANT to have. So I guess if you are looking to be in admin one day, you should dress more professional more frequently.

16. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 11, 2007

OMG some of our teachers dress really badly. Jeans are a norm, even shorts. I was never comforatable with that, because I came from the corporate world.

17. Ms. Ladybug

Ms. Ladybug Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I am not sure what I will wear the first day; probably something a little more dressy than usual.

I do know what I am wearing on "Meet Your Teacher" night which is a few days before school starts: cute skirt and a nice top (I rarely wear dresses/skirts, so this will be unusual for me). Since this will be the first time for parents and students to meet me, I want to make a great first impression!

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

HOPEFULLY these gray pants I bought that are just the slightest bit too snug. My goal is for them to look great by the first day.

My school has been pretty relaxed for teacher dress, and there is no formal dress code in the contract, and we have rebelled a few times when the higher ups tried to implement one. (We have a very supportive association). However, the kids dress code got a little stricter this year, so I will of course match that. I will still wear jeans on Fridays.

19. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

Our school district recommends you do NOT wear a suit at interview, but dress at an interview the way you normally would dress in school.. with that in mind, most people wear slacks and button down blouses.. My section of the building, however, is VERY hot.. lots of senior teachers wear jeans regularly. I wore jeans a handful of times last year.. but then this will be just my third year in the building.

20. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Tomorrow is my first inservice with this district. I was advised to dress professionally, but leaning toward a more casual side. So I have a nice little capri outfit that should fit the bill for this. Tuesday is another inservice but is also "meet the teacher" night, so I will need to be able to finish up my room and still stay fresh as a daisy for the evening (too far to go home and freshen up). Once again, a nice set of capri's, shell, and blouse.

Wednesday is the first day. I will either wear a new beige linen skirt with burnt orange blouse or navy linen shirt-dress with crocheted jacket/sweat (kinda short, 3/4 length sleeve, really cute). This is a very low income area and it would be presumptuous to dress way up (suit), but what I described would be appropriate here. We cannot wear jeans this year except on rare, special days.

21. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

I'm doing the same thing as Mrs. C, so I'll be wearing something comfortable. I don't wear pants, so it will probably be a sleeveless, rayon dress, 'cause I KNOW that the school will be hot and stuffy.

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 12, 2007

We actually do not have a teacher dress code at our school. The admin doesn't even address it, but for the most part teachers are pretty reasonable with their dress.

23. BusEDTeach

BusEDTeach Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Exactly! :) Im a business teacher.. so Im going to try to dress professionally most of the time. I not only want to teach them about business but show them how business professionals dress. :)

24. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2007

We actually have to wear our school staff shirts on the first day which was disappointing because I actually got this really cute skirt and deep purple button down shirt to match it at Wal-Mart of all places. Guess that will have to be the second day.

25. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

I'll be wearing khaki pants and a dark red shirt, along with my Docs of course.

26. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I am teaching at the most casual school I have ever seen. Many teachers wear flip flops on a regular basis.
    Jeans were supposed to only be allowed on Fridays, but by January they were worn almost every day by some teachers.
    I haven't decided what I am going to wear the first day. Will probably go pick up something right before we start back (when my paycheck direct deposits -:p ) It will definitely be something light weight and cool - we are still in the middle of Texas heat!