What did you want to be when you were little?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Mar 29, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

Have you always wanted to be a teacher? Or did you want to be an astronaut?

When I was little I wanted to be an art teacher. Around middle school I realized I was awful at drawing:lol: I took to science. In college I dabbled in el ed, nursing, and even just biology for a bit. But I went back to science ed, so glad I did!!!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012

When I was in kindergarten, I wanted to be a telephone operator. That was in 1990--I have no idea where I got that from!

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

When I was in Kindergarten, I wanted to be a police officer.
    But I knew that I wanted to teach ever since junior high, even though I never thought I would. You see, I grew up in a culture where everyone becomes doctors or engineers. Admitting to myself that I wanted to teach was extremely difficult. I finally realized that I wanted to teach in my junior year of high school and never looked back, even though my parents were less than pleased with my choice.
    I'm so glad that I chose to teach, because I absolutely love it!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

I always wanted to be a teacher.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 29, 2012

I've pretty much always wanted to be a teacher. I've toyed around off and on with other things that included an ER doctor (thanks to the show ER), a neuro surgeon or neo-natal surgeon (thanks Grey's Anatomy), an Olympic show jumper, a CRNA, and I'm sure a hoard of other things.

Instead I teach English :lol: It makes me laugh because almost everything else was so science based!

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012

I wanted to be a tap-dancing librarian. Would be noisy.

8. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 29, 2012

Magic Johnson.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

My plan as far back as five yeas of age was to be a teacher and farmer's wife. Accomplished half of that... :)

I thought that a few other careers would be interesting, though. Park ranger, Egyptologist, anthropologist, archaeologist, and forensic pathologist (that's a lot of ologists!). As for the last one, I have changed since I was younger so while it still interests me, I couldn't do it. Owning some sort of small business was a fun idea as well (and still is). In particular, I wanted to open a small "Peach Pit"-style place for young ones in our town.

10. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Mar 29, 2012

When I was little I always wanted to be a teacher, but I flirted with the idea of being a zookeeper.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 29, 2012

When I was very little, I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then in middle school, I discovered music, and wanted to be a professional oboe player. I got as far as being accepted to Juilliard, but then a hiking accident ended my music career. I went back to school with the idea of nursing, then started taking pre-med courses, then eventually switched to math. I was going to be a statistician, but then I somehow wound up getting sidetracked into teaching.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 29, 2012

When I was little (much to my mother's chagrin) I went around telling everyone I wanted to be a K-Mart cashier. ;)

In high school it was a freelance photographer or a private investigator (I would still love to do that on the side)! My sister wanted to be a teacher and there was no way I was going to do the same thing. :whistle:

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012

My little sister told everyone that she was going to be a taxi driver...

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

I had a reading buddy once who told me he wanted to be a grocery store when he grew up. :lol:

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 29, 2012

I've wanted to be a teacher since about 2nd grade. I had a truly awful teacher that year who quite literally handed us a pile of worksheets at the beginning of each day and then we spent the day working on them. I'm not kidding. On the rare occasion she was in a good mood she would let us work on our worksheets in pairs. I would rush through mine so that I could help other kids in my class with them- I would go out and get out sticks to use for math manipulatives and show them different strategies to figure out the answers. I often had a line of 5-6 kids behind my desk waiting for me to help them. I'm not sure why the teacher let me carry on like that- given her teaching style maybe she was just glad she didn't have to do it! From then on I knew I was meant to be a teacher. Before that though, I was dead set on being a waitress!

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012

Jim Morrison

(btw, I was 5)

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

I'm sorry you had such a bad teacher, but that is such a cute story!

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012

I wanted to be a McDonald's cashier, astronaut, nun, ice cream tester, linguistic cryptologist, writer, discoverer of Atlantis, editor, chef, dinosaur trainer, forensic anthropologist, and fishing boat captain.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 29, 2012

Never a teacher, but I always a career working w/ children. From as early as I could remember, it was a pediatrician, then a child psychologist.

20. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 29, 2012

I wanted to be a tightrope walker and a nun. I loved the circus and when my Catholic friends told me nuns were married to Jesus I was very impressed . Later I wanted to be a social worker. It wasn't until much later I wanted to become a teacher.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

From second grade on, I always wanted to be a teacher.

22. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Mar 29, 2012

Carpenter, artist or musician when I was younger and writer and librarian when I was a little older. Up until I was a sophomore/junior in HS I swore up and down I was never going to be a teacher or any sort of job that involved interacting with the general public on a regular basis (I have no idea what I thought I was going to do......) I'm now a teacher and a tour guide. :whistle:

23. nikkiluvsu15

nikkiluvsu15 Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

I always wanted to be three things (listed in alphabetical order, not preference): Anthropologist, Police Officer and Veterinarian.

Though the Vet quickly become off the list when I realized I'd have to deal with sick animals, etc. I still have days when I long to be an Anthropologist or Cop, just because it is something I always wanted to be.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 29, 2012

I mostly wanted to be an RN or APRN, or maybe a doctor. I'm still really interested in the medical field. I even entered college as a pre-med major.

When I switched to English, I thought about law school. I never pictured myself as a teacher. Ever. That's really funny because I seem very well suited for it now that I'm doing it.

25. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 29, 2012

When I was three I wanted to be the lady who worked in the snack bar at Walmart, because I thought it was so cool that she got to yell out numbers all day :lol:
    But ever since I was school age I always wanted to be a teacher. I used to "teach" my little brother in my room for as long as he would let me :)

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

I never had any desire to be a teacher until I was a senior in high school.

Growing up I wanted to be:

1) vet
    2) pediatrician (even volunteered at a hospital for two years when I was in high school)
    3) journalist
    4) fitness instructor (still do!!!!!)
    5) chef/baker

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 30, 2012

My dad was a teacher and I was (and still am) a "daddy's girl", so I always played school with my stuffed animals. I also considered journalism pretty seriously. I remember when I was tee tiny wanting to be a bank teller and I would play that at home with Monopoly money!

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 30, 2012

Before I started school I wanted to be a toll collector on the bridge. I guess I thought it would be fun to watch people drive by all day LOL
    After that I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I would make up work to give to my brother and sister. Even when my sister had friends over we would play school and I would give them work. I even made a report card for one of the friends and her mom saw it. She said, "Oh, I bet TeacherNY will be a great teacher someday"!

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2012

After wanting to be Jim Morrison, I wanted to be a B-17 tailgunner.

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 30, 2012

I wanted to be :
    a ballerina (even though I never took dance lessons)
    an ice skater (loved to skate, and thought I could go to the Olympics-again, without training)\
    a famous violinist (this time I did play, and had private lessons. Peer pressure made me quit playing, a choice I regret)
    A librarian (until I found out I couldn't read all day)

In the back of my mind, I think I knew I would be a teacher. When my sister and I played school, I always had to be a teacher, and I even assigned homework! Those play times were the times I felt most comfortable and sure of myself. No surprise to anyone when I graduated from high school I went to college to pursue teaching.

31. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2012

It was always a mommy. But along with that, when I was 5, it was a police officer, because I thought the hats were cool. Then I did my 8th grade career project on architecture, because I loved drawing house plans. But I couldn't handle the math and physics. So, since music was all I knew, I majored in music education, and decided I liked classroom better.

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2012

I was the little girl that always played school with stuffed animals; however, since the age of 5 I wanted to be a vet. I worked with my grandpa for a couple of summers and that changed my mind about wanting to be a vet! Then I wanted to be a business manager, and an accountant. I tossed around the idea of being a lawyer too. I finally got my head on straight and pursued a teaching degree. I would love to be a anthropologist and travel to Greece and Egypt.

33. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 30, 2012

When I was in 5th grade I wanted to be an archeologist. I don't really like history, but I think I really enjoyed the 5th grade content. We would go to our weekend house from spring to fall just about every weekend, and stay there for longer times in the summer. I would pick up bricks laying around, carve a figure in them (hieroglyphics lol), bury them in the ground, hoping that when I return during the summer, and dig it out, I will really think I found something rare :)) Then we started learning about the wars, and I lost interest.

In 6th grade I wanted to become a chemist. I started learning Latin (language geek, right?), but wasn't really into it. I did have a lot of fun learning all the ingredients in the medicines and pronouncing them. We started physics in 6th, and chemistry in 7th grade - it was hard, so that was the end of that dream.

And after that I had no plans, not even in senior year of high school.

34. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 30, 2012

At age four or five, I wanted to be Johnny Appleseed. I obsessed about it for a year, stuck broom straws in floor cracks and raged if anyone plucked them out. It cannot have been easy for the rest of the family.

Through most of school, I had a nebulous idea that I would be a doctor: math and science geek, obsessed (again!) this time with biology.

Somewhere in college, I decided that science and math didn't mean anything. (I've since relented a little, except in the case of social science, which I still abhor.) I became an English major, minoring in philosophy.

The eternal question arose: what's an English major to do? I gave teaching a try, absolutely loved it from the first, and here I am, waiting to give a test on Socrates.

35. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 30, 2012

flight attendant, paramedic, missionary dr, teacher, those are some I remember

36. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 30, 2012

I wanted to be a writer! I was infatuated with the English language.

Probably in jr. high I became interested in teaching after my Girl Scout troop worked on a childcare badge. I fell in love with young children!

I have done some writing, but my dream is to support myself through writing. We shall see.

37. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Mar 30, 2012

I wanted to be a brain surgeon. And then I found out I wasn't that great at math, science bored me to tears,and my hands shake more than average ESPECIALLY when I'm nervous. That one just wasn't in the cards for me.

38. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2012

So, after wanting to be Jim Morrison when I was in kindergarten, and a B-17 tailgunner when I was in elementary school, my career ambitions dropped to absolutely zero when I was in middle school. I don't recall wanting to be anything during that time period.

Once in high school, I wavered between wanting to be a farmer, a priest, a photographer, or one of the Rolling Stones (I just knew they were going to have to replace Keith Richards very soon.)

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2012

Keith Richards has hung in a lot longer than you ever thought, hasn't he, Sarge?

It's so interesting the different paths we all have taken to get here.

40. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2012

For a while I also wanted to be an ER nurse. I didn't want to make the incisions, just get to watch and hand over the tools.

41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2012

I always wanted to be a teacher. :)