What Did You Treat Yourself With?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2011

For those who just got hired, what did you treat yourself with? And for the rest of you, what do you plan to get yourself when you get the job? :)

For me, I need to get my own place! I'd love to BUY rather than rent, but we'll see. I'll have so much fun furnishing & decorating it!

Other than that, I'll probably do a little shopping. Get a new oufit, bag, sunglasses, jewelry, & shoes from Nordstrom (my favorite store) or maybe Bloomingdale's.

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 27, 2011

When I get a position, I am buying myself a Chamilia bracelet. I have wanted one forever. I will buy a charm that is an apple or a schoolhouse, something school-related to celebrate the occasion!

And we need a new car, badly. So we will be looking for one, as well!

4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

When I got my job, I needed someplace to live since it is 2 hours from home.

Hopefully, I will soon be able to afford a Gypsy to go with the Cricut I already have and an Ipad.

5. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

My husband took me out to dinner. :) And I bought a lot for my classroom, as well as some back to school clothes.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

When I got my job offer, we were beyond broke, so we didn't do anything except feel really happy. :)

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 27, 2011

Oh yeah, I need a new computer, too. This one is so old and slow. It's awful!

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

I honestly won't be able to think straight for a few days if I get this job. I have no idea how I'll treat myself...I think just being able to live life and not struggle would be a start.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I didn't treat myself at all :lol: My Mom let me charge some new clothes to her card but that was about it. I did buy 11 new books for my classroom. I was just thinking last night that BF and I should have gone out to a nice dinner and had champagne!

Now I plan on treating myself very well after making it through my first day, first week, first month, first round of exams, and first year :lol::D

10. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 27, 2011

I had a list of things I have been telling myself, "I will buy this when I get a job." Some new towels for my bathroom; some new dresses. And, since I am a first year teacher, tons of stuff for my classroom. :)

11. geek412

geek412 Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

:confused: What's a Gypsy?

Since my job is also two hours away, I'm also renting an apartment! I'm super excited :)

My personal treat: A fitness membership!

12. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

I'll wait until I get my first or second paycheck.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

When I got my first paycheck I bought a macbook and then the 2nd paycheck I bought a puppy LOL.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

With my first paycheck I took my parents out for a lobster dinner as a thank you.

15. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Great idea! Nice way to thank them for all the support during your job search. I think I'll do this! :)

16. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

A Gypsy is a handheld tool that is like a mini-computer in the sense that it will hold the memory of all of the cartridges you have and allow you to create designs that incorporate images from any of the cartridges you own. It will also allow you to connect letters to create strings of words (something you can't do with the Cricut alone). All of this can be created and saved without access to the Cricut and when you are ready to cut your design(s) out you just hook it up and press cut!

http://www.cricut.com/gypsy/

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

Actually, my job search was painless.

The thank you was for the 21 years that preceeded the job offer.

18. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

Getting the job will be treat enough for me!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2011

Good reminder. I'm an only child & my parents know that I'd do ANYTHING for them...if I had the money. I had been thinking that to start, my parents could use a whole new set of cookware. But, if it's not a holiday, my parents don't accept things from me because they'd always rather I have something for me. I'll have to mk them accept it somehow! :)

20. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

With my first paycheck I bought myself a Coach purse. With the second paycheck I got an apartment.

21. geek412

geek412 Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

:thanks:

Hmmm.....sounds fantastic..for my scrapbooking habit lol. I don't have a bulletin board in my classroom :(

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I bought my own 3in1 printer/fax/copier. I can make color prints anytime I want IF I have ink. I ask parents to pitch in for ink. I also can make a few copies if needed without leaving my room.

23. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

I am thinking more for my classroom than my scrapbooking (which I do need to catch up on) since I have 8 bulletin boards!

24. Teachnewbie12

Teachnewbie12 Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

I don't know if I ever treated myself...yet. I did buy more appropriate clothing for school, what I had was wore out and too small! I bought several books for preparation, and I went and got a bunch of free leveled readers and school supplies from a teacher recycling center near me.

I think once I get my first paycheck....I'll truly celebrate!

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I started buying stuff for my first apartment that I have all to myself, and more "teacher clothes." My best friend got a job about 4-6 weeks before I did, and I was SO jealous watching her shopping for all this stuff for her apartment and the school year. I didn't want to buy things before I knew I had a job, so I waited until I knew I actually needed the stuff first.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2011

That's nice that many of you got a new place to live! I can't wait for that day to come for me! :D

Yes, it seems that's mandatory these days! I've had 4-in-1 machines for yrs now (w/ the scanner too) & I actually have to use the scanner from time to time. I don't know what I did before having all this!

27. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 28, 2011

Hubby took me out to dinner & we enjoyed the rest of our week (we spent the week in Florida for my interview, house hunting...). Oh, and he bought me a new charm for my pandora. Also, I guess you could say our beautiful new house could be a treat! :lol:

28. geek412

geek412 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

You have eight?!!:spitwater: What are you going to do with all that space?

I'm probably going to buy a couple of those $1 dorm room cork board square sets and create a bulletin board........I hope they are selling those corks this year.

29. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

No job yet, but I've got a list of things to treat myself with-- starting with an apartment, because I haven't applied/interviewed anywhere near where I live now. My parents live 5 minutes away from my college, so I stayed with them during college. I am way BEYOND ready to get my own place!!!

30. lovelit

lovelit Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I rewarded myself with "teacher clothes" and my then-fiance (now husband!) took me out to dinner!

31. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I bought myself a cricut on clearance at Wal-Mart yesterday. My husband and I usually celebrate by going to a nice restaurant. Since my kids went to my mom's yesterday for a few days, we will probably go out to eat this week. Actually I have a $50 gift card to Red Lobster just waiting to be used. So it's like not spending money! :thumb: I want to go buy a few new school clothes, but may wait until my first paycheck. I may just wait for this Arkansas weather to cool down when I need more fall/winter clothes. I just bought my daughter's, 3rd grader, school supplies and new wardrobe. That was a chunk of money. :eek: I have really nice clothes from long term subbing, so they really are in great shape. Even if I don't treat myself to anything really grand, I am just happy knowing I am getting my own classroom...which I get to see tomorrow!!!! :D

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

I don't think I bought anything to celebrate my first position - it was an LTS position and I was broke. At the end of that school year when I was offered a permanent contract I bought a dress to celebrate. This year when I found out I was changing grade levels, my roommate and I went out for supper to celebrate I had finally landed my dream job.

33. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

My first year as a permanent teacher, I saved up all year long. The Saturday right after school was over for the summer my mother and I flew out to New York and spent 10 fabulous days enjoying a fabulous trip. We even drove up to Canada. It was well worth the wait! :)

34. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I think I'll probably buy a car now that I have a full-time, permanent position.

35. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

I know this thread is a little bit old (it was on page 7!), but I have been waiting to post on it. I didn't want to before because it just bummed me out that I didn't have a job and couldn't buy anything, but now I do! :D I have been shopping for some new "teacher clothes", since I was holding off until I knew I'd need them. I also signed the lease to my first apartment last week...the rent is almost as much as my entire monthly income of last year (and yet I can now afford it), which is just crazy to me. PLUS I have been really wanting to put money away towards a new (well, new to me) car, and I finally will be making enough to do that. Yay!

I know a few more of you have recently been hired...what are you going to treat yourself with? :)

36. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

When I got my first job, I got the ultimate treat: my beautiful black ice denim Harley Street Bob.

I had back surgery a year ago and am just about finished paying all my medical bills, so now that I have a job, I need to replenish my savings. I'm going to try to pay for physical therapy and a personal trainer too so I can ride my Harley again (can't right now because of my stupid back).

My mom bought me some clothes today as a congrats gesture, so that was great! Most of my nice clothes don't fit since I've gained 15lbs after surgery.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

Same here!!! A place to live is at the top of my list & I've begun making a list of unique things to get, decorative items, etc. I already know what kind of sofa I want! :)