What did you teach today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mrs_Goatess, Aug 12, 2006.

1. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 7, 2007

:eek:
    The only time that I might have an aide in the classroom is when it is a special ed class or the aide is there for one particular student - or a few inclusion students.

It really depends on the aide as to how "helpful" she may or may not be. I recall one class where two of the aides (who knew that the teacher would be absent) showed up late to work. They did a couple of busy-work activities that they chose. Then they popped in a movie that one of them brought in. I thought it was from the school library, but one of aides got it from the video store on her lunch break. It had a bunch of "inappropriate words" in the movie! The teacher had not left me any plans, so I was kind of stuck doing what those two aides wanted to do.

Another time I was in a special ed classroom and the two aides spent the day bad-mouthing the classroom teacher (that I was subbing for). From what they had to say, that teacher didn't do anything right!

Recently, I was subbing for a language arts special ed teacher. The regular teacher was out for three days because her daughter was in the hospital. I had an aide in the classroom for one period. The aide decided that the teacher had made a mistake in what she left for us to do! The aide decided that we should continue with what they had been reading the day before. I told her a couple of times that the teacher had it clearly marked as to what we were to do for the class. But, that aide just took over! I decided it wasn't worth fighting over. However, I made sure to leave a note for the regular teacher stating that it was the aide's idea to do the other reading -- not the one that was marked for us to do. (That was a really irritating situation, because I KNEW that the aide was totally wrong.)

Overall, I just go with the flow and if the aide says that she knows what to do, I go with that. Then I leave a detailed note for the teacher explaining how things went for the day.

2. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 8, 2007

Glendall and Cutandglue,
    Thank you for the replies. It was helpful to read them. I understand that aides sometimes are not sure when they should step in and when they shouldn't... I do understand the aides position, but, she was only in here for 2nd period. There was another aide in 1st period, she walked around the room and assisted the students who needed help. The aides usually are in classes for specific students who need extra help and they follow their assigned students throughout the day, but they also help any student in that period who may need it. Different people have different ways about them I guess. I have been subbing for the same teacher for 5 days now and I felt like I was getting into a rhythm with the class. I felt a bit like she was putting me in my place.

Today during 2nd period I felt myself anticipating the moment that she would come over and tell me I was doing it wrong again...But she didn't. She was walking around the classroom helping the students with the problems they were assigned. While she was explaining things to ind. students I heard her contradict me. She made sure to say it loud enough for me to hear I guess. I think she just doesn't like me. End of story. That is fine with me...I don't have to have everyone like me! But what really bugs me is the way she is to my face is different than how she is toward me in front of the class.

Also, my daughter is in that period. She even noticed the aide being contradictory toward me.

Anyway, I can only do what I can do! I have really enjoyed being with the class and leading them through an entire chapter. It was neat to see the "lightbulbs" go off in there eyes and say "OH! Now I get it!" I have actually LOVED it! I have felt happy when they come up to me and ask me a question during their study hall. It may sound silly...but that has been something I don't normally get on daily assignments that change every day. I have done my best, and that is all I can do.

Oh! We had another 2 hour delay today! Hooray! Today is sailing by! Except that aide would have been on a field trip if we didn't have the delay, slight bummer! ;)

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 8, 2007

With Middle School Be Strict!

Don't Worry. Sometimes you have to be strict and MEAN to middle schoolers. Try to be cooperative and plesant but they start fooling around with you you have to lay down the law. I subbed for high school and middle school at a Christian School today. I had 8th grade English the last period. The boys joked around and I had to settle them down but they worked until the end of the period. It also helps to have a sense of humor because kids at this age like to joke around esp. with subs. They can be fun though and sometimes you can even enjoy their antics.But do not let them see you sweat!
    They will get worse. Have a good time subbing. Some middle school classes can be quite good. Terry G.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 8, 2007

Submom...

Even given the different perspectives people have about a scenario, you are the one that was there. Tone and body language among other things can never be implied well enough here. I'm sure your instinct about how you felt about the aide was right on target. :)

I'm lucky in that I don't follow a student. I'm literally in the same class all day working with the teacher (sorta like a student teacher) and with different kids all day (small class). I even have some of my own lessons/lesson plans. There are some days where it may SEEM like I'm following one, but only because that student is having extra problems. I love my job too! Isn't it nice when we can say that! It sure can't be for the money!

Today all the kids were H-Y-P-E-R. One kid with ADHD was unmedicated and was really bouncing on the walls today. What's so funny is on another day it would have been hair raising, but the reason they were probably in this state was that we had a snow day the day before. The reason I wasn't stressed out was for the exact same reason. Sometimes a day off really really helps! Wow! I felt great all day no matter what the situation was.

5. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 9, 2007

Today is my last day in this 7th grade math class. A few students gave me wonderful compliments and said they would miss me. I thought that was alot coming from teenagers! :) I would return to this class in a heartbeat. It has been a great week. Partly the class...and partly the 3 days of 2hour delay's!! ;) I've got 2 days scheduled for next week already. Nothing yet for Monday. Maybe I'll take the day off and catch up on my ever mounting hill of laundry in my mud room! ugh. I hope everyone has/had a great Friday and will have a wonderful weekend. Take care-:)

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

Dear Sub & Mom: If you like to teach middle school math you will get plenty of assignments. Get to know the math teachers in your district. Terry G.

7. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 12, 2007

I was a rotating sub today. I was in 4 classrooms, for about 20 minutes each. The teachers had meetings with parents. Two of the teachers forgot, or something, that they had a meeting, and were surprised to see a sub (me). In another class, I jumped right in teaching exponents. She apologized for not having a lesson plan. Another teacher barely looked me in the eyes when she was talking to me. I think she was having a bad day. One meeting was canceled, so I did prep work. Aside from the brief lesson on exponents, I pretty much baby sat. Oh well, I get paid, either way.

8. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 12, 2007

Today I was in my favorite middle school subbing for a 6-8 grade "Life Choices" class.
    Most of the kids were diligent and well behaved...but the 6th grade class...ugh. It was hard for me to get their attention when they got a little too rowdy--I don't exactly have a booming voice that demands attention.
    On the plus side, a few of the administrators took positive notice to me standing at the doorway of the classroom in between class changes. I like being noticed, in hopes that they will keep calling me. :)

9. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

Today I did assessments in a Kindergarten class. Wow, what a difference in ability! Some still didn't know their letters/sounds, numbers to 30, etc while others knew all 25 sight words, reading way above level. etc. That must be a challenge.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2007

Was this some type of informal assessment that the teacher created? They never let subs do assessments here.

11. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

Nope, this was for their report cards, etc sanctioned by the district. I did the easier stuff, letter recognition, sounds, fluency, number recognition to 30, sight words, days of the week, months of the year, penny, nickel, dime,etc. She will still have to get the phoenemic awareness done on her own. It must be really hard to get assessments done without a sub!

12. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 13, 2007

I subbed for a kindergarten class on Monday. It went really well. The aide and I worked out our approach before class began. I was the lead with her helping guide me in the class structure and being my extra eyes. I was really fortunate. The other kinder class also had a sub. We talked at lunch and her aide just sat in her chair and observed. I'm off for the rest of this week while my MIL is visiting. Next week I have two days in 3rd grade and I've already been booked for one week in high school in March. I just need to find out what grade level and subject.

I'm a little concerned about my performance in 6th grade last week. When I arrived to check in for the kinder class one of the elem. teachers was on the phone. She greeted me when I walked in and said "You're famous!" Then whoever she was calling picked up and she turned to that conversation. I think I may have really screwed up the 6th graders computer lab by letting them work on something they weren't supposed to. I haven't gotten any reports negative or otherwise. I'm wondering if I should approach the technology teacher and doublecheck. I think I may have caused her a lot of extra work.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

I would love an assignment like that.... I bet it was interesting for you.

14. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Feb 13, 2007

Yes, it was great. I had subbed the Monday before for that same class so it was nice to see the kids again. Plus, the more I'm there, the more she will think of me when she needs a sub :) She already asked me if I'd like to help again at the next grading period.

15. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 14, 2007

Today I subbed for World History at a charter school. I had subbed there before. It was 10th grade. There was no lesson plan except going over their quizzes. I pulled out my trusty sub book and did a quick review of the Renaissance and Reformation. They wrote a paragraph at the end. This fit in with the school's writing program. I also got some great help from the resource teacher. It was a pretty good day.

16. kermy

kermy Companion

Feb 14, 2007

i get the whole wk off!! yeah for me!!

17. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 15, 2007

well, after 3 days off because of the winter storm that flew through Indiana, I am now back to work. Good thing, cuz I was becoming a couch potato! I am a special ed teacher today and tomorrow. I am doing the job of the person who drove me crazy last week in math. My day will consist of 4 periods of assisting students during classes and then 3 periods of study skills. Shouldn't be too difficult.

PS-Happy Belated Valentines Day!!!

18. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 15, 2007

Now that I have taught it I feel a bit more confident to accept Math classes. It started to come back to me! Just had to get through the mud in my head. I actually love math. I was always hesitant to sub for math because there are some things I didn't fully understand while I was in school and I was always afraid I'd teach the kids wrong or I'd look stupid! :eek: With any other subject, I am totally confident. I definitely will start accepting more math positions. :love:

19. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

Today I subbed in Kindergarten again. Just like last time a parent volunteer mentioned how they were not acting like usual (which I took to mean more talkative.) I didn't think they were too bad at all. I wonder if I have a higher tolerance level?

20. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

Mrs. B., I had the same experience. I subbed for a Kinder and a 5-6 split. I thought both went well. There was an an aid in the 5-6 class who accompanies a student who needs extra help, and she said the students were louder that usual. I didn't think they were loud at all. No complaints when I talked to the office manager the next day. In the Kinder class, the aid, who is there everyday, kept telling the class to quiet down. I felt like I wasn't doing my job. But I didn't think they were that loud, either. Could it be that some people do have a higher tolerance than others?

21. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 21, 2007

Today I didn't teach anything! :( I spent all day with the guidance counselors organizing FCAT materials for middle school students. For some odd reason, I thought the FCAT makers sent all the test booklets and answer keys pre-packaged and ready to go for teachers and students. I had NO clue guidance counselors spend a month organizing, printing labels, etc etc.

Poor things.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

If the kids don't get to write in the test booklets - which I think is stupid, by the way - then it could be that the test booklets get reused from year to year to save money. In which case, yes, it would fall to the schools to organize the materials.

23. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 22, 2007

Today I am teaching 7th grade Health. Yesterday I was the computer lab teacher for an elementary school. Yesterday went very well except K was a bit rough. By the time I had the entire class started on what they were supposed to be doing, it was time to go. And then, I had to assist with car rider dismissal for the entire school. That was CRAZY!! They handed me a walkie talkie and told me to go outside and stand in from of the line of cars and tell them when to stop and go. They were asking me, "did Ally get to her car? Or are the Cummings kids out already?" I didn't know these kids!!!!! This added nearly a half hour to my day. What a way to end the day. UGH!:(

24. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 2, 2007

Yesterday, I just filled in for a Special Ed Aide and helped students in 6th and 7th Grade Language Arts, but today I actually got to teach 7th Grade Math! :) So, I was quite happy about it, especially since it was a FULL day for me (yesterday was just a half day).

25. kermy

kermy Companion

Mar 2, 2007

I got to teach half for a nice 4th grade class! it's weird sometimes to be a young teacher. I got asked my age sooo much today, more than normal. One kid was like you're 18 right? i'm 25...

26. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Mar 2, 2007

Today I had 3rd grade release again. I rotate to four classes throughout the day so each teacher gets a break. I did the same lesson 4 times and then taught PE the last hour. The release lesson is always the same, read a book, do test prep packet and cursive practice. The kids aren't too thrilled so I bring my easy button for them to hit when they finish. Pretty easy day.

27. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2007

I had a 3rd grade class for half a day. All went well, except for missing an assembly!! It was a good class.

28. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 2, 2007

What's an easy button?

29. Jen07

Jen07 Rookie

Mar 3, 2007

I'm new to the boards here and I've found that I really like this thread, It's so interesting to see what others are doing and how their days go, and to learn about things other subs encounter so you're aware and prepared incase you have the same occurances. Anyway Thursday was my first time subbing, it was for a wonderful second grade class, I really enjoyed it. Friday I subbed for a split 2nd/3rd grade class-They were extremely well behaved, got quiet when I asked and did what they were supposed to, it was an easy day, (I was only there half day-afternoon both days) All I had to do was read a book to them, take them to lunch, they came back and watched a movie, then they had to read books on their own-recess and back to get ready to go home! My first days of subbing were great! But I think I kind of enjoyed Thursday a little more because I had a lot more interaction with the students and felt like I actually got the opportunity to teach them, but no complaints about an easy Friday:)

30. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Teenagers...Ugh!

Today was my first time back at the high school. What a nightmare. The ninth graders weren't bad but the 11th graders were awful; downright defiant. According to the teacher this wasn't supposed to be bad. They were all starting PP projects and were to write down brainstorming ideas and then go to the computer lab. No one wanted to get out paper. Two students in my last class sat there and read skateboarding mags and an anime book. I told them to put there books away and join the class. The one student actually said that he wasn't disrupting the class so why should he. In the computer lab he finally got to work but I was in a slow burn. The anime guy decided to use Japanese websites so I couldn't guess what he was doing but I suspect it had little to do with women's rights. After school I was having a bit of a gripe session with the school secretary and it came to pass that skateboard mag guy was her son. No sooner does she announce this than he walks in. Needless to say he's in big trouble and I'm sure Wed. will be no picnic when I see him again. Of course I could always send him to the office. I just don't think I'm cut out for high school.

31. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Today I am teaching 7th grade science. I am in this class for the next three days and I am worried because the teacher left plans to work on a review packet in each period for the 3 days. In 1st period, several students finished it already. I am trying to think about what I can have the students do to fill the time between the rest of the class finishing. There is an enormous gap in the progress. The packet is 5 pages long and some are done, and some are on question 3. I have been checking the packets of the students who finish, and so far they are not having any trouble with it. They are just asking me "What do we do if we are done?" Gulp...

There are other papers to work on when the entire class is done...but I need to introduce them. I'm looking for some independent filler work they can do on their own.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to offer them!!!

32. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

Today I subbed for a lovely 5th grade class. I even had a prep period the last hour when they went to a pull-out. It was a great day except I realized later I messed up and had them read a whole story when she only wanted them to read some of it. Oops! She only gave me the plans 5 minutes before class (she was on campus at a training) and I was rushed but still I should have been more careful. Hopefully that won't mean she won't call me again.

33. Suburban Gal

Mar 6, 2007

I taught 2nd Grade all day, how fun! :)

34. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Mar 8, 2007

I'm in 7th grade health today. I love covering for this teacher. She is so organized and thorough with her plans. I can count on a smooth day when I am in her room.

35. Suburban Gal

Mar 8, 2007

I taught 6th Grade today. Not to mention, it was my first time teaching in a Catholic school too!

I'll be back in the same classroom tomorrow.

36. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Mar 8, 2007

I just read the question addressed to me about my easy button. LOL! It is the button that is in the commercials on tv for the store Staples. When you press it a man's voice says "That was easy." The kids really get a kick out of it. :)

37. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Mar 9, 2007

I'm new to subbing too

I've been in a week long assignment. Last Tuesday to this coming Tuesday in PM Kindergarten. Aside from some students and sometimes being chatty, it;'s been great and has been going well. U've been using the AM Kinders lesson plans. The teacher I subbed for said to go ahead and do that. (She;s on bed rest and she was going to leave plans, but we told her not to worrry about it) I observe AM Kinder and then mostly use that.

The first sub I had was in a Kinder. No lesson plans and the AM Kionder had a sub too. It was my first assignment and didnt ythink I was goibg to get called so quick, so I was cutting straws in that one.

Anyways, I will really miss the kids here when the assignment is over. I've really gotten to know the AM Kinders and the PM Kinders.

38. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 10, 2007

Aaah! Sorry it's been about a year since I've seen a real commercial but I do remember that one now.

Friday I got to sub for 10th graders and I have to say that was a real joy compared to the rest of the week. SEVERE senioritis has set in and I got the seniors the first four days. Yeah me! :rolleyes:

39. Suburban Gal

Mar 12, 2007

I had 10th Grade Spanish today - 3 periods, 2 periods of hall supervision, and cafeteria duty!

40. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Mar 15, 2007

I was 2nd grade in the morning and then went across the street for 6th grade Science in the afternoon. Pretty good day!