What did you teach today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mrs_Goatess, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

I thought this would be a fun activity here. I started at school this week, and I've had two classrooms already. I thought it would be fun to share what you as a sub or, as some put it, "who were you today?" My favorite part of subing is the variety.

Thursday I taught SAT prep, Senior dual-credit English, and general senior English.

Friday I taught middle school band.

What did you teach?

3. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Wow, school started for you already? :) When I get my first job, I will post as well! We start the 22nd here.

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

Tuesday, I was 8th grade Language Arts (and it was FANTASTIC!).

5. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

Today, I was Keyboarding, Computer Lit, and Girls Athletics. It wasn't bad at all. We watched a movie most of the class period.

I was called right at the last minute and had my assignment switched (7:15am). This class sure beat the first one, which was only for a half a day!

6. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 29, 2006

Well, I haven't been in the classroom yet, but I got called today to sub one day for a geometry teacher, another day for a world history teacher, and two other days for another geometry teacher, all within the next six weeks. These will be my first jobs if I don't get called in before that.

7. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 29, 2006

BTW, our schools here started on August 15th. Between me signing the paperwork and finishing my last week on my previous job, I was called four times, but felt bad for turning them down to be nice to my boss and finish my notice.

8. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

I subbed in a Reading Resource classroom today. I loved it!!! I certianly did not expect to love it as much as I did! I'm seriously considering becoming certified to teach Resource classes.

These were very interesting, sweet kids! I also loved that I really got the chance to talk to them individually and help them out more than I have been able to in regular ed classrooms. Plus, there were only about 9 kids in the class, so I was really able to get to know them better and give them the attention they needed. This is why I want to teach!

9. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 31, 2006

I'm subbing ESE US History today and tomorrow. It's a challenge because the lesson plans weren't 100% clear, but I can do it!

10. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

I taught 4th grade today, it went well. Like above, lesson plans were a little hazy in some places, but I got through it. (I like knowing when dismissal is, lol)

Kids were a bit hyper, but they have a 4 day weekend coming up, who wouldn't be!

Tomorrow is 8th grade lang. arts- I'm a little bit apprehensive about THAT one....

11. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 31, 2006

I taught chemistry today. My first time ever as a sub went fairly well, and I had only one problem. The regular teacher had left detention slips for me to pass out, and while I was collecting some worksheets, one of the students tore his up and threw it in the trash. I don't think they knew I noticed it in the trash until I told the aid what happened. She got another teacher to help me sort things out, and after that, things went well. I was warned about this class period from the teacher across the hall, so I was a little more prepared for rough behavior.

I am giong to sub in the elementary school tomorrow. Little ones!! At least I have one day under my belt.

The only other question I have is how do you deal with hearing, "Can I go to the bathroom?" Every class had at least 3-4 students who asked me that question. By the end of the day, I was tired of hearing it.

This day was certainly a learning experience for me!!

12. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

Well, today, I ended up in Head Start/Pre-K. I went from high school to pre school!! This was like night and day. I didn't even freak out or anything. I was subbing for the teacher's aide, and the teacher asked me if they scared me off yet. It was actually quite enjoyable. I told her if they needed me, I will be back. It was fun, both yesterday and today.

13. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

Subbing is unpredictable, isn't it? Especially when you teach 2 different things in one day!

I taught the 8th graders, it turned out to be 8th AND 7th graders. I was a little scared of the job, but it went great. I was just firm at the beginning of each period and the day flew by.

About the bathroom question-just say NO. I only let SOME students who were doing the potty dance go during 4th hour, since I figured that by that point in the day they would actually have to use the restroom. And I timed them, they had 3 minutes.

If a student asks me at the beginning of the day, I say no. I never let students out for drinks, either. They can wait. Otherwise, if they see one person leave, they all want to leave for some reason.

Hope it helps- I am teaching 5th grade next week for 2 days and we are going on a field trip-woohoo!!

14. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 5, 2006

I'm teaching remedial math and math lab... not going so well. I hate filling in for floaters...

15. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2006

Aprilgurlie---a field trip sounds fun! I haven't subbed yet this year, but school just started at the end of last week...hopefully tomorrow!

16. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I taught 5th grade for the past two days- it went fine. The field trip was fun, we went to a nature learning center. We had to hike up a hill a little ways, and the kids were all huffing and puffing! lol Too much time in front of the TV this summer I guess! :) It was pretty funny.

Today it's upper elementary again, and then K on Friday! I might need a weekend after K!

17. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 7, 2006

Today I taught 6th Grade Science and Spanish at a Charter Middle School. The school specializes in inclusion of special education students. Everyone was nice including the students. The paras in my classes were helpful and I helpded out as a para in an English class during my conference period. I will work for them again on Friday next week. I hope I get more calls soon. Terry G.

18. MrsStephanie

MrsStephanie Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

I just got my first offer for this school year. Next week I"ll be teaching Kindergarten specials for 3 days. I'm not sure what exactly that means!! It sounds a little scary this early in the year. Specials is usually a little less structured - pair that with a substitute, kinders, and only the 2nd week of school - yikes!

19. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

I was subbing this week in a HS Spanish class. The teacher is very ill, and word got around to the other Spanish teachers that I speak Spanish, and they told the principal. They offered me a long term assignment for the rest of the year, or until the teacher comes back!!! YES!! All they have to do is mail the letter home to the parents letting them know there is an uncertified person in the room. I get to make lesson plans, grade papers, make tests, EVERYTHING!

The only bad thing about all this is that there is a mountain of paperwork to grade. The kids have had five subs this year, and school's only been in session three weeks. The subs didn't even separate the papers into class periods or anything. So I have about 600 pieces of paper to grade.

They haven't gotten progress reports because nothing's been graded. The regular teacher was only there for 3-4 days. So, all in all, this has been a great week for me. I've managed to get nearly 1/2 of the papers graded. Now, I have to grade a lot of written work, and it's tough. I'm still in school to be a teacher, and haven't covered many education classes. At the moment, I feel overwhelmed! I'm hoping to get most of the papers graded by Monday. Overall, this has been amazing!!

20. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2006

MrsStephanie- Good luck this week! I think it will be fun; specials usually are. Let us know what happens!
    and txteach2b...WOW!! What a great position to land! Now if only all of us could have such luck....My only advice is not to be overwhelmed by paperwork-that is soooo easy to do!
    I got my first call for one of the districts on Friday, and it was for 2 minutes before the school day started-I have subbed for 2 years, and this has never happened to me! I hate feeling so unprepared, so I didn't take the job-since I just moved, I'm not even sure where the school is! Do any of you take the last minute calls??

21. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 9, 2006

Yes I take last minute calls. I get the address of the school and Mapquest it or look at the map of the district schools. They usually have a copy in your sub handbook. You will be late anyway so just get ready and get there as soon asou can. I always get up and get ready so i can be out the door in 20 minutes. If you do a few of these last minute calls, you will be requested more. Terry G.

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2006

Today I subbed for 2nd grade in one of the new schools in our town...it was so nice!! There were only 19 kids in the class...it was a great day!

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 11, 2006

This was my first day of the school year to be subbing. I was in a Multiple Disability classroom - 8 students with 3 teacher aides and myself. Super easy day!

24. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

I taught high school Home Eco. today. Thank goodness they weren't cooking yet. I just had to give them a test, it was pretty easy. But boy, some of those attitudes! I think I want to stick to K-8. :)

25. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

Yesterday was my first day subbing this year and I taught elementary music in the school I spent the most time at last year. It was great seeing so many kids I remembered and I got lots of hugs from kids who remembered me.

WVsub

26. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 13, 2006

You guys are making me wish I was still substitute teaching!

27. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 15, 2006

I taught 7th grade math for the last two days and also this coming Monday. Even the "bad" class is better than many "good" classes I've had!

28. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

I taught Kindergarten on Wed and 1st grade today. They both were good experiences, but boy those K kids wear me out! I am looking forward to the older ones next week!

29. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 15, 2006

I taught 7th and 8th grade math at a charter school today. Some of the students were special ed. and they did not have their math quizzes modified. They ended up doing worksheets instead. One girl needed to have her quiz enlarged because she had visual problems and there was no copy so I just read the questions out loud to her and she was able to take it. The principal observed me today and said I did very well. I hope I get more calls soon. I am going to drop off my resme and business cards Monday to 2 districts if I am not called to sub. Terry G.

30. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 16, 2006

This past week was my first days of subbing again. It just happened that it was all special ed. On Monday, I was in an MD classroom - all boys, most of them autistic. On Tuesday, I subbed for a high school intervention teacher. On Wednesday and Thursday, I went to the high school in my town and subbed in an ED (Emotionally Disturbed) classroom. On Friday, I went to the town just south of me and subbed for a 6th grade ED teacher.

It was a fairly good week. My only "big" problem was when I was out at the high school. The room was small, but had four vents for the air conditioner. The first day, I nearly froze to death! The next day, I came to school bundled up!

Oh, and on Tuesday, I went to that high school to sub for a math teacher. The principal had forgotten to cancel my day to sub (because the teacher's meeting had been cancelled). I ended up subbing for the intervention teacher - because his substitute teacher had locked herself out of her house without her car keys!

31. MrsStephanie

MrsStephanie Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Well my first sub job of the year (Kinder specials) went great! I taught Art one day, PE the next, and Library the 3rd day. I am really starting to enjoy subbing in specials.

I subbed this week as a Special Ed Aide. The kids weren't bad, but the direction I was given was terrible. I wasn't told what kind of support to offer, how much the kids were capable of, how to handle any discipline issues, and when I took them to the resource room there was no lessons for me there. Another aide kept telling me I was doing things wrong. So, bad experience, but not because of the kiddos. Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Guess I'll just wait for the next call.

32. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 24, 2006

Last week was an odd batch:
    Monday: 7th grade math
    Tuesday: HS Geometry
    Wednesday: 7th grade Behavior unit
    Thursday: 6th grade Social Studies
    Friday: Honors Chemstry (which I have *zero* background in!)

All next week will be VE, which I have *NO* idea what to expect. Wish me luck!

33. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 24, 2006

Subbed as aide also

I hear you. I subbed as a special ed. aide with autistic students in high school. They were low functioning. They did tell me what to except going to the bus. The kid I had was bigger and dragged me along to his bus. It was the wrong bus. Luckily one of the other aides helped me get him off and we made sure he got to the right bus. I asked for help but I was ignored until I went outside and asked the people outside to help. No one in the classroom gave me any guidance. When I had to sub there the next day I spoke to the principal and after that I received help. Sometimes in education you learn by the sink or swim method. It is stupid but that is what often happens.
    Terry G.

34. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

Hey there

Last week

Monday- Kinder
    Tuesday-First
    Wednesday- First
    Thursday- Second - half day
    Friday- Fifth grade Math/Science

This week

Monday- Kinder
    Tuesday-Second - half day
    Wednesday- Fourth
    Thursday- Fifth
    Friday- Kinder - half day

All at my neighborhood school!

35. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 25, 2006

I taught at a Catholic high school through Kelly Educational Staffing. I was assigned to teach health and PE to ninth grade boys. They had to do a textbook assignment in health and the PE class played basketbsall. They were pretty well behaved although some joked around. I had a great day. Terry G.

36. kermy

kermy Companion

Sep 26, 2006

i taught on fri. and it was weird. I taught in a biligual 2nd grade class. I don't even speak spanish that much, thank goodness there was a student teacher! she did most of the day. it was fun though.

37. zanke

zanke Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

I taught fourth grade social studies for 1.5 hours and then fifth grade social studies. It was just a half day. All of the kids were so well behaved! It was great. They all listened to me and we finished almost all of the work. This was my second time, so I hope the majority of the classes that I sub are this way...I will keep my fingers crossed!

At least one of the teachers asked me for my info for her sub list, so hopefully I will be called back there when needed.

38. Back2Work

Back2Work Rookie

Sep 28, 2006

Sooooo glad to have found this thread! I just got fingerprinted yesterday, and am waiting for my first phone call. Just as this website helped to ease my nerves for my interview, now you guys and gals on this thread have eased my nerves about daily subbing! It is so nice to hear that you are enjoying yourselves so much, and the kids arent taking advantage of you as a sub (at least not too badly I hope). I havent subbed in 10 years, and stopped teaching five years ago, so my nerves were a little uneasy. Thank you for reminding me that subbing can be a great experience!

39. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 28, 2006

Today I subbed for an reading intervention teacher at an elementary school. I arrived at the school at 8:15 am. The teacher returned to her classroom at 10:45 am, so I drove over to the junior high. I ate lunch there and then went upstairs to sub for the junior high inclusion teacher. I just sat in two different classrooms and then I got to leave at 1:05 pm.
    I got home early, so I got LOTS of personal errands done!

40. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 28, 2006

Wow, I had no idea so many of us worked half days! I've only done a half day twice (once the teacher became ill mid-day, and the other was during mid-terms at the high school where they simply test for two classes and go home).

Like I said, all this week was ESE Language Arts and Social Studies, 6th and 7th grade. It'll be the same next week. I have to say I like it because I've never worked with aides so much. It's nice to have someone who works with the same students (and other teachers) watch you teach and tell you that you're doing a great job. It has been stressful though, and it's good to know I can walk away after next week and still be gainfully employed! :)

41. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 28, 2006

I got paid for a full day today!! I don't accept those half-day jobs. If I am going to work, I work for a full day's pay.