What did you give your students for Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TeacherSandra, Dec 17, 2006.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2006

Does anybody buy their class Christmas gifts? And if so, what?

I purchased 2 hot wheels for my boys ($1.50)
    The girls received a beautiful "Disney Princess" journal/notepad and a set of Disney stampers ($2.00).
    I also put in a sheet of "Nativity" stickers.
    The kids were thrilled! One even exclaimed that this was the best Christmas ever! :angel:

I found the gifts at a dollar store and got the stickers from Oriental Trading.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2006

I actually made my kids' holiday gifts. My co-teacher and I made booklets of "coupons" for extra credit on homework assignments, the freedom to eat a healthy snack (they provide) in class, and other things like that. I also give them a snowman pencil. They love this every year, and it is almost no cost for me!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 17, 2006

I bought the .95 books in the November Scholastic catalog. I had a $10 coupon to use and since I only have 11 students it only cost me .45. I wrapped up the book and taped a candy cane to it. The kids were pretty psyched.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2006

Nice gifts!
    I never thought of the coupon book...love it!
    And kids never tire of books, either...awesome!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2006

I got FREE books from Scholastic (look for the offer in September next year- one of the first offers of the school year is a free book for every student in your class withyour first order). I wrap in a cellophane bag with a packet of hot chocolate mix, a 'Little Debbie' gingerbread man, a few Hershey kisses. Tie with a curly ribbon. :)

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 17, 2006

I got those and used them in my monthly prize box and to raffle off randomly. As I said, I've only got 11 students, but they sent me 20 books so it was pretty cool. :p

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2006

I am really jealous, teachers. I absolutely LOVE your creative gifts! I wished I had asked this question BEFORE making my purchases.
    oh well...live and learn!
    I will carefully inspect my Sept. book order next year. Thank you!
    Gotta love those add-ons too! Sweet!:angel:

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2006

I ordered free business card magnets from vistaprint. They were pictures of the cosmos (or a star or a galaxy or something) and said: Mrs. A thinks I'm a STAR.

I ordered 8 separate bunches of 25 when they were free, so I paid only shipping. My 180 7th graders can put them on their lockers. They were a big hit on Friday when I gave them out.

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 17, 2006

Two Scholastic books. Both the $0.95 variety.

They loved them. :)

Kelly :)

11. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2006

I put together small gift bags; a holiday pencil, eraser, pen, silly putty, and a bouncy ball. We aren't allowed to give any candy-I usually do candy canes too.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2006

I have 6th graders - homeroom class for a reading/writing block and then the whole team (60 students) for science. I'm giving my science students a really nice pencil with fancy eraser. My homeroom is getting a chocolate bear (school mascot - molding them myself + scholastic book coupon). I'm toying with getting something custom printed with the team name for next year. I'm going to look into one of those promotional products catalogs. I know I'll have to buy 100's but then I won't have to think up something each year. Anybody do this?

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 17, 2006

I got them four books - two $.95 books from Scholastic and the two free books from the book orders, a Christmas pencil, and a toy from Dollar Tree that we played Chinese Christmas with. An inflatable frisbee was "stolen" six times.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 17, 2006

Chinese Christmas? Is that like a Yankee swap?
    Everyone chooses a number, then in order they choose gifts and can keep the gift or trade it with someone else.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 17, 2006

Yes, but if you take a present from someone, they get to open a new one.

16. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Dec 17, 2006

Coal...well, that's what a couple of them disserve. I plan on giving them all a book and some candy. Very boring and teacherlike, but many of my kids keep telling me that they don't have books at home. I'll fix that! :)

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 17, 2006

Ooh ok. That's a little different then. In a Yankee swap the person opens a gift and decides whether to keep it or swap it. If they swap it they take the other person's gift and that person keeps the gift that was just opened.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread. I was just curious. :D

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2006

We got a travel hangman game from the dollar store and we are printing up a list of all their spelling words in a little booklet so mom and dad know what kind of words their kiddos can guess for the game.

19. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

I also gave them a $0.95 book. I also gave them a card and wrote a personal message to each of them.

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 17, 2006

I didn't give my students their cards with their gifts, but I sent them out Friday afternoon after I got home. That way I could also use it as a thank you card for the gifts they gave me. I think they'll be pretty excited to get them in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday.

21. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Dec 17, 2006

I used MANY bonus points, plus 2 $10 book coupons from Scholastic. I got almost 100 books, so that the last pickers wouldn't feel like they had any choices, plus anything that isn't taken will go into my classroom library. I plan to randomly pick the order of students who are there on the last day before Winter Break, and they will pick books. Maybe some of them will read over break?

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2006

That is a really really really good idea! I may just have to steal it :)

I think I will do them in the car on the drive home :) Just have to get the kids addys tomorrow.

I have posted elsewhere, but I got my kids those free books from scholastic, a pack of welches gummies (only 3.94 at walmart for 24) a pencil, and a homework pass.

23. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Dec 17, 2006

I got my idea from another thread. I found knit gloves at walmart for 2 for $1.44. I wrapped them in tissue paper and tied it with curling ribbon and a candy cane. They were so thrilled to get it. My daughter is in third grade and told me she wished she could be in my class.

When I taught kindergarten, I bought playdough and wrapped it in tissue paper with curling ribbon and a holiday shaped cookie cutter.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 17, 2006

For my science classes they all got a card with a small magnifying glass inside (Oriental trading - they loved it!) and a Santa sucker.
    For my homeroom (it sounds like a lot, but much was bought on clearance last year) - Scholastic book (free with points), Christmas Fun Pad, Christmas erasers, pencils, box of colors, slider puzzle, and some candy.
    I always hit the holiday clearance at Oriental trading and have next year's gifts bought ahead of time (which also helps with money during the holidays!) I keep a box in my classroom with everything in it. I have a sheet in my records folder that I list the purchases on so I don't accidentally buy for a holiday that I've got covered.

25. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Dec 17, 2006

Mine actually stemmed off of what I was giving the staff. I made the rice wraps that you can put in the microwave and keep warm. Well, I made hand ones for the IA's and then remembered a conversation with a student about those hot hands things and mine said they liked those in the morning when they were waiting for the bus. So I made each student a set. I also included a pencil, eraser, and a few pieces of candy.

26. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

I'm giving mine the free book from scholastic and a bookmark. I also found that they LOVE pop-tops. The plastic things that you turn inside-out and put on the table and it pops up and flies in the air...I happened to find a bunch in walmart as stocking stuffers....88 cents for a pack of 3 so I picked up 7 packs of them so each kid can get one. Hopefully they'll appreciate it!

27. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 18, 2006

Gave them a free poetry book I had received with an order from Scholastic (spend so much get a set of 30 free books) and then went to Dollar Tree and got the girls stuffed animals (snowmen, cats, bears wearing christmas hats for a dollar each) and the boys travel games (hangman, inline, seabattle) all were just a dollar each with a christmas pencil and a candy cane they thought they had hit the jackpot.

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 18, 2006

This year they are getting a holiday pencil, candycane, and small snowperson ornament. That's all I can afford at the moment.

29. nytwinbee

nytwinbee Rookie

Dec 26, 2006

holiday gifts for my students

This is my first year teaching so I think I got a little carried away with my second grade students, and I got a lot of things, but most items were well under a dollar, or even free.

1- poetry book from scholastic (free)
    2- snowman book from scholastic (.95) I also used bonus points to get them, and the $10 coupon
    3- pocket full of kissies (.95)
    4- baggie w. pencil, eraser, hershey kissess, lollipop, & small bag of skittles from halloween clearance
    5- starbucks hot cocoa pack w. 3 holiday marshmallows in cellophane- I tied them together w. ribbon. (hot cocoa free, from hubby's job, and marshmallows about $1 for a bag I used for the whole class)
    6- last but not least a beautiful glittery pine cone decoration, which I bought last year for $1 after the holidays

Then I put everything in a holiday gift bag, I put a nice label inside each book, "This book belongs to...", and my kids were so excited.

The poverty rate at my school is quite high, I believe 92% live at poverty level or below, so I just wanted to make it a special one for them, besides I feel so fortunate, I have a wonderful family, my health, a job, and I am truly blessed. It was also happy to see my students so happy.

30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 26, 2006

I have a self-contained class and right now I only have 4 students so I kind of spoiled them.

I gave them each a $5 Arch Card from McDonalds, 2 candy canes, a handful of hersey kisses, chocolate snowman and santas, a santa lollipop, a pencil, a glowing plastic snowman nose and a plastic snowman cup. I also bought them pizza for our party along with all of the extra treats.

Unfortunately I just learned about the free scholastic books from this thread, so I was unable to give them a book.l

31. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2006

My last round as Children's ministries director, I bought each child an ornament from OT. It was a glass ornament with the Nativity inside. I stuck a candy cane inside the bag. My Sunday school kids got a book I made, with an activity on each page. One page was a blank xmas tree, another page was to list how many words you could get from 'Christmas'. I tried to come up with as many pages as I could.

I did a neat thing for my teachers one year. I made up a gift bag with different foods, and each food meant something- Teddy Grahams were a big bear hug for their work all year, Lifesavers because they were 'lifesavers' in the classes. I forget what else I put in there. I got the idea from Mailbox. I also gave them a poinsettia with a dedication in that week's church bulletin.

32. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Dec 28, 2006

I didn't give my kids gifts yet because we had the horrible storm the Thursday before break and no school on Friday. My kids get to have Christmas when we get back on Tuesday. I am giving them a book and a candy cane. Pretty boring...I know.:eek: :)

33. NCP

NCP Comrade

Dec 28, 2006

I had a bunch of extra notebooks, so they each got one of those. I also bought extra boxes of crayons at the back to school sales, .50 cents each, so they got those. I also did the Scholastic free book for every child, or I will order some of the lit sets they run and give them different chapter books. I think I did pencils too. They were happy.

34. forkids

forkids Cohort

Dec 29, 2006

SnowDaisy822, how do you make the rice wraps? They sound good.

35. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 29, 2006

I bought sticker books from Scholastic last year, with my bonus points, and had another batch of books given to me. (So each student got two books.) I also bought Christmas pencils and cute erasers, which I put inside the rolled-up books before wrapping. As a name tag, I used silver jingle bell tree decorations (we read The Polar Express during the last week) and put student names and "2006" on them with a paint pen. It lwas a great package and a minimal expense.

36. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jan 1, 2007

A fellow teacher and I for the past couple of years go to Wal-mart and purchase mugs (they have snowmen, reindeer, etc) for $0.60 each. We put a candy cane and a hot chocolate packet in each cup as well as a ticket for the classroom weekly drawing. The kids are really suprised that they get to take the mugs home and it costs me less than a dollar per kid. Can't beat that. :)

37. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 4, 2007

G'day.

I gave this year's kids a Christmas card and two candy canes (because I had enough lying in the drawer because only about 17 kids turned up on the last day!). The difference was, the Christmas cards were made by me.

Through the year I kept four display folders in the reading shelf filled with printed versions of my webcomic. The kids loved reading them and getting to know the characters. The Christmas cards the kids received were pictures of these characters in Christmas scenes and stuff. Means more than your standard dozen cards in a box for $2.50 from K-mart cards, eh?

Did mean I had to use colour ink printing up 20 odd cards though, but they're just the little things you do for the little tackers, eh?

Cheers.