What did you get from the kids?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by monica, Dec 21, 2007.

1. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 21, 2007

What did you get from your students?

I got one of the neatest things I've ever gotten in my ten years. I got an autographed copy of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"! Cool huh?! A little girl in my class gave it to me. Her family went to see Eric Carle at the High Museum of Art here in Atlanta in September and he was doing book signings. I was floored! The kids were excited because it has a CD (of him reading it) and they want it to go in the reading center. I told them they could listen to the CD with an OLD copy of the book! :eek: I want to get a stuffed caterpillar (I saw at Barnes & Noble) and put it on a shelf with my new autographed book!

I also got a Willow Tree Angel (collectible angel), cheese ball mix with little tray & spreader, snowmen salt & pepper shakers sitting in a sleigh, ornaments, a snow globe...

My class as a group gave me a giant holiday Tigger stuffed animal, he's totally off white and very pretty. I also got Disney Dollars because I'm going to Disney the week of New Years. Perfect! (It's tradition pretty much, we have annual passes and typically my kids give me Disney Dollars for Christmas and/or the end of the year) Love it!!

My assistant gave me a School Box gift card, that's perfect too!

I gave her UNO ATTACK for her family and I gave my kids 3 wrapped books and a stuffed mouse. They dressed like mice for our preschool Christmas program!

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 22, 2007

Yay for the Eric Carle book! I have an autographed copy, too, and it is one of my prized possessions. He must be doing a circuit... I saw him in D.C. last winter. He is a very entertaining man.

From my families, I got...

a tea set
    $50 visa gift card
    $25 starbucks gift card
    $10 starbucks gift card
    two ornaments
    LOTS of chocolates, cookies, and candy
    Lotions
    Stationery

My favorite gifts were the beautiful cards with handwritten notes of sincere appreciation. I almost cried when I saw that a girl I had as a toddler (I now have her younger brother as an infant) is now old enough to write my name on my card. :)

4. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

On his website he said that he was going to keep book signings to a minimum in years to come. He's 75 (I think?) and wants to concentrate on working on books and relaxing some. I was thrilled to get the book before he stopped doing that. I'd love to have met him, the family said the same thing "very warm & entertaining". I felt special for sure though!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 22, 2007

I don't teach preschool but this is what I got

tea,mug with the letter J and those stirry sticks, blanket, smelly candle, one of those things you put in the garden (he made it himself really cool), cookies

cookies, candy, Willow Tree Learning Angel, homemade chex mix

Spiced Mulling Cider

glass Snow Globe (wicked cute)

mug with coffee, homemade bead ornaments

10 dollar gift cert to Dunkin donuts

A red candle that smells like apple pie and a really scary looking angel

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 22, 2007

Monica-what a great gift! I'm sure you'll treasure it!
    I received:
    2 grocery store gift certificates
    mugs with candies
    a collectible angel
    candles
    5 ornaments

7. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

my class as a whole got me a large gift card to the outlet mall. I also got 2 tree ornaments, 2 candles, lots of cookies and candy, a photo album, coffee cup with hot chocolate mix, gift card to a breakfast place near me, a bracelet that has charm that says hope and joy.

I got my kids each a snowman cup with their name on it and a book. I also made them little reindeer out of paper and put a few pieces of candy in it. I used candy canes as the antlers. they loved it.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2007

I have a signed copy, too, and I cherish it! Usually at my school, the kids all pitch in and purchase one large gift for the teacher - a gift card. This year, my AM and PM went in together and I got a $100 gift card to the mall. I don't mean to sound grinchy, but the person organizing it didn't spend much time thinking about where I'd prefer a gift card to - and we actually have to fill out a questionairre at the start of each year (favorite hobbies, stores, places to eat, colors, etc.) The mall the card came from is more than an hour from my house (and from my school, too!). It just seems odd. I'm not sure I'll ever have the chance to use it.

I also got a lot of presents from individual kids, which is not the norm in my school, so I think a lot of parents decided not to contribute to the class gift. I am a Starbucks addict, and 5 spereate kids got me Starbucks cards for $20 each (that's a LOT of coffee!), and a couple got me cards to Trader Joe's (a favorite store of mine). I got lots of ornaments, candles, mugs, cookies, chocolates, etc, too.

I have 40 kids - and on top of the group gift, I have 25 additional thank you's to write!
    Kim

9. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

That's how I ended up with individual gifts too. I had some that chose not to participate in the group gift of Tigger & Disney Dollars. ($85 worth) I have to confess to being thrilled there wasn't a coffee mug in the bunch. :eek:

A few years ago I put my wishing tree back up for the class. I wrote this long (thought out for weeks) letter about how appreciative I was of anything and how I didn't expect a gift ever, but... if they wished to do something for me I'd love for them to get things we can use in the class. I put the tree up with construction paper stars of things we can use all year. It was fantastic. The parents even wrapped the gifts and the kids put them under the tree. We opened them together as a class at the party. I LOVED it!

I was just coffee mugged and ornamented "out". :eek: I hated to get things that I couldn't use and then spend so much money on things for school we need.

Then the past 2 years I have had room Moms that asked I let them handle it themselves, so what can you do?! Last year they gave me one of those American Express gift cards you can use anywhere, those are PERFECT! Then the Disney Dollars is of course great for me.

You love the extra thoughts when they want to give you something of their own, but when you've been teaching for a long time (10 yrs) it mounts up and you just don't have anywhere for those kind of things.

I'm sure you guys understand that thinking.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2007

Yup. Sure do.

I appreciate anything, but there are very few items I actually end up using.

Ironically, one of my favorite gifts this year was a mug! It is really pretty and big with a nice shape and on the inside rim it says "joy" which is something I need to remember/appreciate a bit more. Plus there was chocolate inside. :lol: Also, it came from a family that I no longer teach but both of the boys were in my K class over the years. I love that they still remember me each year.

I got one gift card this year, but for the most part my students are from a low socio-economic background. I get dollar store lotions and things usually. I do appreciate them, I really do. And I know they spent money they don't really have time to spare.

11. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

I got lots of candy/cookies, bath stuff, candles, misc. Christmas decorations, and gift cards to Applebees, Blockbuster, and Bath and Body Works.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2007

My favorite gift this year was an ornament with my name on it (not engraved).

13. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Dec 22, 2007

I got gift cards to Barnes and Noble and Sheetz(a local convenience store - it will come in handy for gas since I drive a suburban!)

Yankee Candles
    several ornaments
    a really cute lamppost that lights up and has bears around it. It plays Christmas music
    lots of candy
    Two buckets that say #1 teacher and my name
    Lotions, soaps (my 9 year old was thrilled!)
    Mary Kay satin hands set (not the sample set but the actual kit - the mother sells Mary Kay)
    a couple mugs
    hot chocolate
    a smores kit
    wreath
    santa chimes
    christmas socks

My para got me a supply of Pepsi ( I need at least 1 pepsi a day!) and a really cute hallmark ornament with 4 charms to hang off of it with my own children's pics and the stand

I think that is it. Most of it is still in the entrance way while I am trying to decide what to do with all of it! I taught reading for years before this got maybe 3 gifts at Christmas so I was totally overwhelmed!

14. zawa

zawa Rookie

Dec 22, 2007

We got a group gift from the parents that was a $50 certificate good at lots of places around town, including wal-mart (where I will probably use it to buy groceries).

Quite a few of the parents ended up giving individual gifts as well. We have 12 kids in our room from 11 families (one is a set of identical twins), and I have had the older siblings of 3 of the kids before as well. I got:

Candy
    Bath stuff
    Gift cards to Applebees and a book store/coffee shop/folk art store
    cash
    a flower in a bag kit
    a few other assorted items (small lotions, note pads, etc)

While I enjoy the gifts, what I really love are the thoughtful notes that some of the families include with their gifts. I really love all my kids and enjoy most of their parents. I babysit some of the kids. I've taught older siblings of several of the kids. I've taught some of the kids off and on over the last year and a half since they were very young infants. So it is wonderful when the parents write notes telling me how much they appreciate me being in their childrens' lives-- I hang on to those notes much longer than I keep many of the other gifts they give.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 22, 2007

I got a lot of stuff... 21 of my 26 kids got something for me and for my co-teacher!

moose munch trail mix
    homemade scarf
    BEAUTIFUL ornament and macy's card
    hot chocolate mug
    Coach(!!!!!!!) mini-wallet
    mall gift card
    target card
    potbelly card, Borders card, and chocolate
    bath and body works stuff
    candy apple
    muffin mix with sprinkles (not sure what I'm going to do with the sprinkles, they're weird... last year, they gave a stocking with turtle wax and other car care stuff)
    Barnes and Noble card
    chocolate cookies
    tea set (and something else that I can't remember)
    teacher book and an amaryllis plant for the classroom
    Chili's card
    ornament, hot chocolate mix and a cookbook
    poinsettia and a chili's card
    chocolate (2 different kids)

and... my FAVORITE... a mug that they had put a picture of me, my co-teacher, and the kid that they took at our winter program. It's a great shot of the 3 of us, and it's a really nice mug! my co-teacher and I were showing them off all day because it was a unique gift.

My co-teacher knit me a really soft scarf... I made a cross-stitch for her that says "Put your big girl panties on and get over it." She LOVED it.

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2007

I also got wonderful gifts from my students:

*big box of Rocher candies (variety)
    *Grocery gift card
    *Photo album (nice and heavy duty!)
    *Orange clove scented candle (which is burning right now :))
    *A HUGE muffin from Breadsmith, candy dish, ORIGINS lip gloss, ORIGINS body cream and a 2 CDs
    *Tin of short bread
    *Bath & Body Works cream and body wash
    *cocoa cone to make my own cup of cocoa!
    *Pine Tree, Santa Cookie, Ornament, more Rocher candies!
    *Guess Purse
    *picture frame, mittens and shower gel
    *HUGE mosaic candle
    *Olive Garden gift card!
    and my Teacher aide got me
    *Target gift card.
    I hope I haven't missed anyone!:unsure:

17. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 24, 2007

Clarnet- What is potbelly?

18. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 25, 2007

I'm not Clarnet but Potbelly is a subway type sandwich chain in my neck of the woods- Yum! :)

19. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 25, 2007

An autographed copy of the VHC is a very cool gift! My mom got me an autographed copy of the latest Jan Brett book, Three Snow Bears, I love it!
    Because I work in a very economically disadvantaged area I don't get many gifts from my students. Some of my student's situations are so impoverished that when they do give me gifts I feel guilty because I wonder if this means they will have to go without food or rent $$ just to give me a gift :( This year I received the following from my 23 students:

teddy bear
    pumpkin spice candle
    scented lotion
    lanyard (I always wear a lanyard for my ID badge and keys)
    calendar (I needed one!)
    Set of candle holders
    2 tins of butter cookies

While many here received gifts of substantial monetary value my gifts are also equally rewarding in a different way; my gift is getting to do what I love (see post on my blog titled "Joy of Teaching").

One thing I did this year was to make my holiday Thank You cards at Vista Print over the summer for free. I now have enough holiday thank you cards to last me for many years and they're personalized too- very cute!

20. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Dec 25, 2007

Lots of gift cards: VISA, Coffee, Bookstores, Movies
    Books and plants (love these)
    chocolates, hand cream, snack packs

My parents are very generous!

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 25, 2007

Thanks Vanna! :)

22. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Dec 26, 2007

A gas card is such a great (and thoughtful) gift! We have Sheetz out here too :)

23. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

I got a couple of gift cards to restaurants. I also got a bag of cookies with a $100 bill inside. It was from a former student of mine. The mom wrote how much she appreciated my hardwork. I also got a loads of unwanted gifts. Mugs, serving trays (2 sets of those) various teacher trinkets, candy, lotions and candles. My DS's babysitter just moved into her first apartment and she took the serving trays. Seriously, it is such a waste of $. I usually end up throwing away 90% of the stuff.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2007

25. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

The mom told me to look into the bag before sharing the cookies. I am so happy that she did because those cookies would have been sent to work with DH!

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2007

Whew! That was close! What a nice gift!!!

27. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

Instead of throwing them away, couldn't you donate them somewhere?

I often get things that I personally can't use or don't have room for. I try to give them to someone though, I can't imagine actually throwing them away. A local nursing home could use them as prizes for a bingo give away. (my Grand mother's assisted living home LOVES that kinda stuff) Or just the Salvation Army or something?

28. zawa

zawa Rookie

Jan 1, 2008

A couple years ago I had a bumper crop of lotions and candles with scents that I didn't like. I posted an offer for them on my local freecycle group and a non-profit that does after school stuff with poor kids got them. They said that they use those so the kids can have gifts to give their parents-- I thought that was a great way to regift!

29. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jan 1, 2008

I have tried the Freecycle and most of the time the people don't show to pick it up. What I get rid of is the Christmas mugs and various other trinkets. Most of the time I find that no one else wants the junk either.

30. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jan 2, 2008

My favorte gift was a gift certificate for a 1/2 hour massage. I am so with you on the coffee mugs. No where else to put them.

31. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jan 4, 2008

We have a small group and a few of my students gave me gifts.
    I got a candle - smells great
    Cash - yes cash
    Slipper socks
    candy
    and a bottle of wine.
    I was shocked that I got gifts besause we serve low income famlies.

32. Emmyer98

Emmyer98 Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

One student gave me a gift bag with a Blockbuster Gift Card,some popcorn and Jr.Mints(My favorite).

I received a ton of lotion and bath things. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they think I stink. Ha! Just kidding :D

Mugs with candy in them were very popular this year. Especially with peanut butter cups (another favorite). One mug I especially liked, and I found it in a local store and bought myself a couple more.