What did you do ?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by eowensteach, Aug 8, 2013.

1. eowensteach

eowensteach Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I was wondering for any middle school teachers out there how did you decide which content to student teach in? Also were you able to get a job in the opposite content area that you student taught ?

Thanks in advance

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

I'm not sure I understand your question. In my state, middle school teachers are licensed in a particular content area. They would have student taught in whatever content area that is. For example, if they were intending to be licensed in English, they would have student taught in English.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

In Ohio, middle school teachers are licensed in two areas. So they could be science and social studies grades 4-9.

At my school, the middle school majors student taught in both. Is that not a possibility for you? They spent 8 weeks in each content.

I might pick the one you feel you have the best chance of getting a job in. Is there one you've done more fieldwork in?

5. eowensteach

eowensteach Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

The MAT program I am in, we do a internship in the fall and then full time in january we were told to chose one of our content areas and then Feburary to May (student teaching) in the other content area. I was wondering if it matters if I have more experience in one content area than the other when it comes to looking for a job.

Thanks

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

I would probably choose the one that seems to have more jobs.

What does your advisor say?

7. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 9, 2013

I chose the content area I was most comfortable doing at that time because I had more field experience. I could have done the other content area with no problem I'm sure. However, at that point in my fledgling "career," I chose to go with my strengths.

I haven't been able to secure a job in either of my content areas after graduating. The market for middle school jobs where I live is very competitive and has very few openings for middle school jobs.

Wishing you the best with your student teaching!

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 15, 2013

I chose English as my content area, because that seemed the easiest to me. I had to pass the CSET and I had to student teach in that content area to be certified, so the student teaching part wasn't my decision.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 7, 2013

Here middle school people are certified in two areas. They student teach in both areas for the same amount of time.

I'm secondary certified in English, so I just did mine in 9th grade English.