What Did We See? Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Obadiah, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 6, 2016

I hesitated posting this because I didn't want anyone to think I had become one of the trolls that have been visiting this website lately, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. Last night as it was turning dusk I was driving down a local road with my friend also in the car. Up ahead, a tall thin man was standing in the middle of the road. This is normal; there's rarely much traffic in this area. My only thoughts were, I hope he doesn't just stand there. As we got nearer, the man suddenly transformed into a medium size dog; it was an unusually thin dog with black and white splotches. I didn't say anything and frankly, since it was turning dusk, didn't think much of it. I just figured my eyes were playing tricks on me. Suddenly my friend asked me if I saw what he saw. A man standing in the middle of the road who turned into a dog. Well, that gave us quite a good laugh! We both saw the same illusion! (And by the way, no, neither one of us were drinking). We just chalked it up to an optical illusion. But then I became curious.

I only have dial up, so I was limited on how far I could google last night, but I'm wondering if some teenagers were pulling post Halloween hijinks last night, and if so, how in the world did they do it? I'm thinking some kind of laser hologram projector, but two strikes against that idea: can something like that be projected against nothing but air? (it was a clear night and not quite dark) and how could they afford such a device? (but people who are quite rich do live in this area and many of them would have access to technical research equipment--but not necessarily their kids). On the left side of the road were just houses with medium sized lawns. On the right side of the road is an athletic park with a ball diamond and soccer fields behind it. About 30 feet away from the road is a small concession stand so an electrical outlet might have been available. Monday I'm hoping to get to the library's faster computer to look some ideas up, but again, the most logical explanation is our imaginations. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have ideas about how this could have been accomplished if it was a prank. (A further note, if it was a prank, I'm surely hoping the dog was just a coincidence. I'm hoping no one was endangering the life of a dog just for a silly prank).

3. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 6, 2016

The Dog may have been standing up on its hind feet , then it sat down.

Example: A Butterfly or Moth or other bug flies by and the dog tries to eat it, while half way jumping / standing on its back feet.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 6, 2016

Obadiah likes this.
  5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2016

At dusk, optical illusions tend to happen.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 26, 2016

No, Ed4Life, neither of us were drinking nor on drugs. Last Saturday, my friend and I were joking about our adventure as we were on the same road, again, so I told him my solution as to what we saw. Looking for the simplest solution, I figured as we approached that point in the road, there really was a man in the middle of the road. This is not uncommon as this small village has few cars. A dog was also on the road, but my headlights wouldn't have shown on the dog from that distance. Where I live, it's also not uncommon for people to let their dogs outside unfenced to "do their business". OK, so when the dog came into view, because we both like animals, and this was such an unusual looking dog, we both were watching the dog, especially me, being certain it didn't stay on the road as I drove up to it, and so we didn't see the man walk across the road, probably into the park. My friend agreed, my solution would also match his observation. So the mystery was solved. But it was a fun phenomenon and gave us quite a good laugh.

What made this adventure especially fun for me, this was the village I grew up in. At that time, the park was just a ball field surrounded by woods. The whole village was our playground, and we, the neighborhood kids and myself, would often explore the woods looking for frogs and tadpoles in the ponds. On the road perpendicular to the ball field, a new house was being constructed and a large mound of dirt (large to us as kids) was in the yard. Now, any mound of dirt instantly became a mountain for us to climb up and down on. One day, while on top of the mountain, we saw a helicopter flying overhead. Well, we instantly pretended it was not a helicopter--it was a UFO. We named our newly discovered mountain, Ghost Mountain.