What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Oct 17, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

So I'm in the middle of my 5 day subbing assignment. For the most part things are going good with the exception of a few girls who think they can challenge authority and get their way.

Anyway--I had a 3 day Math assignment (on two separate tickets) for the same teacher lined up for next Wed-Friday. And today the automated system call me and notified my job was canceled.

Is this common? What did I do wrong? I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack over this.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2012

Maybe the teacher cancelled the 3 day absence/workshop for next week since she was out so much this week.

4. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

I hope that's the case. I'm paranoid that I did something wrong.

5. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 17, 2012

(((hugs)))) I heard things like that happen to subs all the time. I just started in September but i have read on these boards and others that cancellations will happen. It comes with the territory.

So, try to relax...you are just like me :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2012

It's A LOT of work to be out...and a teacher grows concerned about how much kids have 'missed' during an extended absence and how much will need to be retaught (regardless of how great a sub is, it's the classroom teacher who is ultimately responsible) there is also concern sometimes about parents questioning why a teacher is out so much.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's just a canceling of plans or training, and has nothing to do with you. If you did something wrong to be canceled like this, it would have had to be a huge deal (like calling a student a name, yelling at them, someone accusing you of touching them, etc.)
    This teacher doesn't even know what you're doing right now, because she's out.

Just be glad that your assignment was cancelled early enough for you to have something else in place. My job got canceled on the same day at 6 am and couldn't get another one for that day. Since then (and before then) this same district is calling me 7-10 times / day for jobs, I see the jobs online, I could pick and chose, but not on the day I actually needed them. I'm still upset about losing money from that day.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 17, 2012

I bet the teacher canceled the absence. A teacher in my department was out (unexpectedly) for three days last week. She was supposed to be going to a two day workshop next week, and canceled that today. Someone else is going in her place.

9. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 17, 2012

I have canceled subs before. One time last year I cancelled the sub because the doctor had the flu, and canceled my appointment for the next day. Luckily, I was able to explain myself to the sub at school the next day, because she picked up another job.

I am sure it has nothing to do with you.

10. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Oct 17, 2012

It could be as simple as the teacher put in the wrong day(s).

11. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

Ya I haven't done anything other than yell at the kids for being loud/disruptive. I'm glad to know it's a 99.9% chance that it's not me.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2012

Until you said this, I was going to agree with everyone else that the cancellation probably isn't about you.

When I saw this though, I guess I'm not sure. I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to yell at kids. I wouldn't want to find out that a sub had yelled at my students. There might also be some concern that the class isn't being managed, considering that they were evidently loud and disruptive enough to cause someone to yell at them.

In any case, there's nothing you can do about the situation now. Move along to the next job.

Good luck to you.

13. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

Yet me explain what I mean by "yell" I mean I raised my voice loud enough to where they could hear me over THEIR talking that they needed to quiet down. I do not mean yell as in AHHHHH I'M YELLING

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 17, 2012

You definitely don't want to yell. First of all, it's not right. I wouldn't want anyone ever yell at my daughter, so I wouldn't want to treat anyone's kids like that either.
    And second it is ineffective. Yelling does nothing. It shows that you don't care about / value / respect the students.
    I learned from the book a Mindframe for understanding poverty that there are 3 voices: the child voice, the parent voice and the adult voice. The kids are used to the parent voice, which is yelling, nagging, complaining, threatening, blaming or judging, with a win/lose mentality. It's not effective, and can easily tuned out. we're supposed to be using the adult voice which is non-judgmental, factual, often in question form, with a win/win attitude.

Sometimes I have to raise my voice slightly more than I'd like, and when that happens I always explain, that I'm not yelling, I just have to raise my voice enough for them to hear me, because they were getting too loud. (I only do that if they really can't hear me in my regular voice). Fortunately it doesn't happen often.

15. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

That is a fantastic! I am going to start using that.

ETA: I also feel the need to add that the canceled job was not at the same school I'm working at this week.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2012

From the info you gave, it doesn't seem to me that the cancellation was due to you. I seriously doubt that a teacher next door heard yelling, went through the trouble to seek out who you were & called the teacher you're subbing for to let her know or to call the subfinding secretary that you were yelling & to cancel your next job. And I honestly don't se anything wrong with a little yelling here & there for a regular teacher to do. Kids need to be yelled at every once in a blue moon.