What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Jun 11, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

:cool:

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

You didn't do anything really WRONG from what I could tell. I think with that age group, the most important thing is play. I might lighten up on the "academic" questions and attempt to engage in conversation (as much as possible)... "what do you have? is that a ball? can you roll me the ball? Do you have a car? Look, I have a car too! Which one goes faster? Let's race!" Simple things like that so that they hear language, and can pick up more easily. Let them guide based on what they choose to play with. For one and a half year olds, the main thing is acquisition of language, and the more they are exposed to it, the better off they'll be.

Keep in mind, I'm no professional preschool educator, I did some work in a daycare during University, but most of that time was spent with some of the older ones... but that's what I think the goal is with that age group... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

Under 2's are still learning through their senses. So anything that involves moving, touching, listening, or looking is pretty well received. D is right--you should avoid academics.

But they love to sing, dance, read a story, or explore things. Show them science stuff like rocks, water, leaves, pinecones.

Keep them safe. I suggest a good textbook on child development. Or, look up a development page to review what each age is doing. I like the under 2's as they are pretty happy with whatever you do with them. One of my favorite activities is to look in the teacher cupboard, and put out a variety of "things" to explore. Try putting out muffin tins, small balls, cotton puffs, and spoons, and let them explore. You will all be laughing soon.

5. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Just engage them and play with them rather than asking them academic questions. I remember when they put me in the sensory room with a bunch of 1-2 year olds and we played with different shaped balls and I sang a tune about how the ball was under the table, on the table, on my head...they really liked that and even imitated my movements with their balls.

Those kids might not have spoken because they did not really know you or perhaps because of their language abilities. All in all I think that if you are put in a position where you are with the younger kids, sing a song, play with them, just engaging them and activily observing rather than just "babysitting" gives you a big plus in any preschool hiring. Observe what they are doing and try to do a spinoff of that rather than introducing completly different. Just have fun :)

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 12, 2010

Lots of songs...music works so well with this age.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 12, 2010

I worked in a daycare centre and started in the 3-year-old room. After a year they moved me to the infant room and I was terrified. I had NO idea what to do with them, and the children couldn't tell me with words. Once I started to make connections with the children and earn their trust I fell deeply in love with all of them. Children this age need strong relationships with their adult caregivers. Sing, hug, laugh, touch - communicate through their senses. They are a wonderful group to work with, and no one talks back!!