What Did Everyone Get for Christmas?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 25, 2015

I got more than I thought I would: [​IMG]

$50 GC for Nordstrom
    $40 GC for Sephora
    $20 GC for Macy's
    $20 GC for movie theater
    $20 GC for my shopping mall
    $10 GC for Target
    $10 GC for Subway
    Novel: The Girl on the Train (a signed copy, but it's the same price as non-signed)
    Hand lotions
    Shower gels
    Room diffuser
    Fragrance mist
    Shower body exfoliating sponge
    Candle
    sitNcycle Deluxe XL Low Resistance Exercise Bike:
    http://www.qvc.com/sitNcycle-Deluxe-XL-Low-Resistance-Exercise-Bike.product.F11747.html?sc=ONAIR

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2015

I received many gift cards and lovely appreciative notes from students' families.
    My family is generous and I received nice presents but my favorite is from my sons and DIL who bought tickets for all of us to go together to an upcoming sporting event in January. For me, family time trumps anything that comes in a box. :love:

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 25, 2015

BF and I hosted Christmas Eve dinner for my parents and grandma (brother was working and sister lives out of state).

Today, my parents hosted Christmas Day lunch for my brother and me. BF had to work (the ER never closes, of course, but he said some local businesses were kind enough to donate food to the hospital employees). The highlight of my day was a FaceTime conversation with my sister, nephew, and brother-in-law. My sister wasn't able to travel to CA this year because she is pregnant and has been feeling pretty crummy lately (long story short--it has been a difficult pregnancy). Anyway, although we weren't physically in the same room, we were all able to see each other's faces--which was really nice.

I'm all about family time during the holidays. A few short years ago, I was fortunate enough to have all four (maternal and paternal) grandparents alive and well. Now, I only have my maternal grandma (she's in her mid-80s, though). It's almost unbelievable the way three of them passed within months of each other.

MrsC likes this.
  5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2015

Holidays are not my favorite time anymore. Without people to share them with, they are pointless. It's just me and my mom now, so our hearts just aren't in it.

I bought a bunch of toys for the local toy drive. I think I bought at least one of everything Costco had for under $30. I hope Frozen dolls and dinosaur activity books helped make some kids' day brighter. I also got a bunch of art supplies and board games at Walmart. My mom did the same, so between us we really filled up the donation box. They sent out a plea in the local newsletter that donations were scarce this year so we really wanted to help. The things in the box looked mostly crappy, like dollar store stuff. (This is in a pretty financially stable community) I don't give any toy I wouldn't give to a child I love.

I bought myself some Polo Ralph Lauren skirts and sweaters and a very cozy night shirt. Usually they are excluded from discounts, but they weren't this time so I got some really good deals. I also stocked my kindle with books to read over break. My mom also got me some Polo stuff. I'm very easy to shop for: if it's black and Ralph Lauren, I'm going to love it.

The birds got nothing because they have no appreciation for silly things like presents. Parrots are not fans of any deviation from the usual schedule, though they did show too much interest in my peppermint kahlua. The conure is a little lush; she will dive in if I don't keep a sharp eye on my drink!

One of my GED students gave me the most wonderful little basket with two tins of tea (flavors that she apparently remembered that I love!) a personalized mug, and a scarf. I was really floored by such a sweet gesture.

z33jay, scholarteacher and Missy like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2015

My gifts were thoughtful and meaningful, but having my children home for the holidays trumps anything.

(For some reason, several of my students thought that ENORMOUS boxes of chocolates were the ideal gift for me. I need to find someone for them to go, because there is no possible way we can eat them all!)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2015

My best Christmas present was sharing the day with the entire family. All of the nieces, nephews, cousins, siblings, etc were able to be in town for the first time in many, many years.

My second best present is always enjoying watching my children excited and appreciative opening their presents. I always over shop because that is one of my biggest joys at holiday time.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2015

Most of you guys know me by now. I always post this kind of thread for Christmas for fun. Of course the time of spending or talking w/ our loved ones definitely doesn't supercede any material item that we may get.

mollydoll, I'm sorry your heart is no longer in the holidays. I was alone for about 4-5 hrs yesterday. My father passed away last month right before this Thanksgiving, so it's just my mom & I too. My mom & dad had been together for over 44 yrs, so for her to suddenly be without her partner will definitely take time. I've always had a solitary life, being an only child & maybe having a pal here or there in my life. And I'm not talking about a BFF or even close friend. I hope you can find joy again in the future holidays someday. Before my dad's memorial service last month, I hadn't seen any of those relatives since 2008 when my aunt's funeral took place.

Also, just got a sitNcycle Deluxe XL Low Resistance Exercise Bike:
    http://www.qvc.com/sitNcycle-Deluxe-XL-Low-Resistance-Exercise-Bike.product.F11747.html?sc=ONAIR

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2015

Thanks, m's I. I'm sorry about your loss.

We lost my dad not long after Christmas 2 years ago. Our only family is in Ireland. I've never had the opportunity to get to know most very well.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2015

mollydoll, thank you & I'm sorry for your loss as well. I thank God my dad was on this earth for quite a long time at 87 yrs. Heck, I still think about & miss my dog that passed away too young 3 yrs ago this coming Feb. He was my baby that I spoiled.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 26, 2015

I enjoyed spending the day with my family and cooking together with my sister and mother. I'm not one to list received gifts. However, my 2 year old nephew did make me some "art" for my classroom which is ridiculously adorable and perfect. So that was my favorite gift. :)

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2015

Electric shaver, 30 year edition of Back to the future on DVD, 1 litre bottle of Jack daniels, guide to route 66 (on the plan for the next couple of years).

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 26, 2015

I have enjoyed spending time with my family (they live 6 hours from me, so it's not that often we get together).

I got a personalized cake pan with cake mixes and frosting, fleece scarves, Bog boots, Carhartt bibs and coat, pyrex cake pan and carrier, an infinity scarf, and a rhythm of love necklace.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2015

We know you, ms I. And you know us. We are going to be honest. And in this case let you know our best gifts. I received several hundred dollars worth of gift cards that i will most likely ignore for months and months. My favorite gifts are my family. And family IS FUN. Celebrate what matters to you. For me time with family DOES supercede packages and boxes and bows. But that's me. Doesn't have to be you. But you asked. Happy holidays.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2015

Sure no worries. If I had kids, grandkids, siblings, & maybe even nieces, nephews, or little kids in my family, etc., I'd be talking about them too!

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 26, 2015

Mom and I don't exchange presents. It's just us. We had dinner Christmas Eve. I stayed home by myself Christmas Day, and my BF came over last night.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 26, 2015

I got some thoughtful gifts, but I was more excited to see how excited my family was about the gifts I bought for them.

Ms. I and czacza like this.
  18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2015

teacherintexas, I agree. I love seeing the excitement of my gift recipient as well.

teacherintexas likes this.
  19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2015

It's just me and my daughter in this big country, as far as family goes. We always spend Christmas eve together with candle lit formal dinner, ever since she was a baby. It's tradition from my family from Hungary, so I kept it going.
    We just basically relaxed this whole time, she gave me a ring and a pretty necklace with a heart on it, but the best part was that we adopted a German shepherd puppy the weekend before Christmas, so we only had her for a week. I already have a much older German Shepherd, and we're just sitting on the couch in the living room, watching these two playfully wrestle and cuddle and love each other. The puppy is a little hyper thing, the older one is full of patience and is very mellow, so it's perfect. The puppy is about 2 years old I think, already big, but acts like a 2 year old child.
    And to be honest, I'm enjoying my time away from my narcissistic sociopathic ex-boyfriend, we broke up a month ago, no contact for 2 weeks and I really think it's for the last time. My Christmas has been anxiety free and peaceful :)
    Few things are worth more than inner peace :)

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2015

[​IMG]

My husband made this for me...it was my favorite gift. I got gift cards to Barnes and Noble, JCPenney, and Walmart. I got diamond earrings and a matching necklace. I also got a few little trinkets and a copy of Janet Evanovich's new book. But this was my best gift. My husband spent weeks designing this, drawing the font for the initials, and painting it. The metal work is easy for him, but the wood work is harder for him. The fact that he made the frame is amazing. It looks great over my fireplace. I love it.

21. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 27, 2015

I got a faux fur blanket for my couch and a ton of stickers for my Erin Condren planner. I had a beautiful blanket that I had to throw away because it was getting gross, so my sissy got me a near perfect match. I also got homemade cookies from my niece who recently got married, so that was very sweet.

22. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Dec 27, 2015

On the last day of school I got a letter/card from a student telling me how much he enjoyed my class. I have gotten other cards like this in the past, and sometimes I don't believe the kid, but this particular student really came alive in my class (it's a writing class) and shared a lot of his personal stuff in his writing and inspired so many of his classmates. ...His letter was easily among the best gifts I got.

23. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Dec 27, 2015

mrachelle, the gift from your husband is amazingly beautiful!

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2015

Thank you...he is very talented. He earned over $2,000 this last month making metal work as a hobby to pay for Christmas. I sold stuff on my facebook page and he could barely keep up with orders.

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2015

The gift is so cool mrachelle....
    My dad is a blacksmith & can make see some pretty cool stuff too. He uses horse shoes though. We tell him he should make some & sell them.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2015

I got some wonderful books, blu-rays, socks, items for our new house (like blankets, sheets, rugs, etc.), and a Fitbit. I've become pretty obsessed with the Fitbit over the past few days! :p

More than anything, I have been loving spending time with my family.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2015

Caesar...we get socks every year... My mom gets them for everyone. Lol! We were watching Jimmy Fallon & they did a poll & socks were top of poll for the worst gift. We all said we Love getting socks!!! Lol!!!

Caesar753 likes this.
  28. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2015

I got a Polar HRM watch (tells you how many calories you burn when you workout), a pair of boots, sweater, gas gift card, boot cuffs, and some money. Christmas day is not really a huge deal in my family since we have so little family. I'm an only child and growing up it was my mom's family that we always spent time with, and her mom and sister have both passed away. My grandpa on her side has alzheimer's, so while he is still physically present he isn't really "here," so it's basically just my parents and I. I know they are disappointed that I have not gotten married and brought in new family members :rolleyes:.

29. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2015

Went to tropical paradise with the esposo to visit in laws, friends and the beach of course!

30. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2015

We had a busy holiday. We did Christmas day with my husband's family. So much fun, even if it was really hot! His mom has a history of giving Christmas presents that are less than useful, so we ere excited when she got me a cool decoration for my classroom, and less excited when she got my husband a shirt about pooping. We had so much fun playing with my godson and other cousins!

The next day we went down to see my dad and his girlfriend. I got a coloring book I'm pretty excited about, and these beautiful bracelets that hold my FitBit.

The next day my mom and her husband came in town, and we visited with them for a few days. They got us concert tickets to see a band we like, and some sweaters and things.

On our way home, we stopped and visited with several former students and colleagues and friends. Today I'll try to talk to my other sister. Her family sent me tickets for the local theater, so I'm excited about that! We had such a great holiday filled with family and friends, and now I'm ready to relax a few days before school starts again.

31. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 30, 2015

My favorite was from my DH:
    he got me a kitty (although that wasn't a surprise; we adopted him together) and a catbowl Pandora charm for my bracelet <3

32. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2016

From family, I got a few nice gifts. What was interesting was, for the first time in 33 years teaching, I didn't get anything from students, which was fine. We are a low income school, but I usually get 1-2 things.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 8, 2016

Isn't that something, scholarteacher!

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2016

Why is that 'something'? Im sure scholar understsnds the economic realities of her students' families and knows st hat while a thank you note costs nothing, we must always take a step back and realize most families are doing what they can. And hope that their resources and energies are first devoted to their family needs. I don't need anything from my students' families other than knowing they care about their kids well being.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 9, 2016

I got gift cards, some new cast iron skillets, a Dutch oven, and my MIL had two pictures framed for our new house. One I already had. The other I had chosen to go in the same room. Apparently they had been hidden in house for a few weeks and I had almost found them while getting the guest room ready.

Sweets and I chose not to exchange birthday, anniversary, or Christmas gifts this year and instead took a cruise the week between Christmas and New Years. That was six gifts rolled into one.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2016

I guess I have to spell it all out for certain people. I wasn't going to reply at all, but I didn't say it because I think she had to have something every yr...just saying, "wow, isn't that something in the whole 33 yrs."

It's like how people comment sometimes, like in this kind of context:
    Person 1 - The Grand Canyon is below 40 degrees here tonight...coldest it's been in 10 yrs.
    Person 2 - Wow, isn't that something!
    Person 1 - Yep, that's why I have all my winter gear in my car.

37. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Jan 16, 2016

From my preschool class
    300.00 visa gift card
    100.00 Target Gift Card
    50.00 Amazon gift card
    50.00 cash

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 19, 2016

I got an air fryer! It was a totally random gift (since I never expressed any interest in one) but I've used it a few times and it's pretty neat. I made sweet potato fries the other night and they came out really yummy!!