What decreases a tip?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, May 3, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 4, 2009

That's not always true though - if it is cold or I said no tomatoes or something, that could be the server's fault.

I think serving food, perhaps unfortunately for the waitstaff, is one of the last jobs where the people receiving the service have the responsibility of evaluating your job and paying you accordingly. This happens in practically no other job in our country, but that is the way it works. If you don't like those conditions, get another job. I am not trying to be cruel, because I think I tip well and am pretty understanding, but you know going into the job that some people will be cheap, some will be generous, some will be nice, and some will be jerks. And sometimes you just might be off your game.

I would much prefer to live in a country like Japan where the people are paid accordingly and people don't tip. But that's not the way it is here.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2009

I understood that when I waitressed. And I was OK with the fact that poor performance on my part would have an effect on my pay.

But I will never understand people who, as a rule, tip poorly. No matter what the waitress does or does not do, they're getting a poor tip from these people.

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

I usually tip between 15 and 20%. We went out to eat Friday night and our service was really poor, I even had to ask another waitress to get her for us. When she came, she apologized that she had to be called for, but she never came back to check on us. I was still going to give her a 20% tip, but dh said to give her less. So she got a 15% tip.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 4, 2009

We tip 20% every time. DF is a chef; I've waitressed for 11 years. Like a few people have said, a mistake with your food happens with the line cooks, not the server. Plus they have to tip everyone out... and pay taxes on 15% of the bill whether you leave it or not. And the numerous other things they have to do behind the scenes that they are making $2.13 an hour for. I'd never, ever not leave a tip.

And I think that justifying a 10% tip by saying you can't afford more is a cop out. If you can't tip the proper amount and pay for services rendered, then don't eat out.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 4, 2009

:agreed: Alice and chebrutta!! And with the economy like it is, I'm just thankful for any job I can get!

6. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 4, 2009

I either round up from 15% or round down from 20%. I don't necessarily calculate taking off a certain amount but there are some factors that will cause me to tip closer to 15% or closer to 20%.

Closer to 15%:

Patronizing treatment of any kind. This includes yelling at me, whispering to me, dumbing down language, talking to my wife or friend instead of talking directly to me.

Checking on us regularly enough (within reason depending on how busy the restaurant is).

Closer to 20%:

Polite and equal treatment -- that is, treating me like every other customer. Offering help but not giving it when I specifically say I don't need it.

Poor service, even after taking into account how busy the place is.

I do not lower the tip for bad food. This is not the fault of the server. If I don't like the food, I just won't eat at that particular restaurant again.

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 4, 2009

I put myself through college by waiting tables...I tip everywhere Sonic, hairdresser, nail shop etc.
    For food servers unless the service really bad...not because they are in the weeds and slammed but because they are goofing off and never refill my water I will leave appx. 15%.
    For the average server 20% is the min. for me, for a great server I tip really well.
    I remember that regardless of how much money I made on tips, a % would go to the bus boys, bar and cooks or food runner...this can really cut that 15% down to nothing.

8. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

May 4, 2009

I typically tip 20%. If the service is really good I'll tip more.

The thing I struggle with is what to do when the service is poor. I don't mean minors mistakes but really poor service (rude, inattentive, etc). I was once told by someone that you should either tip your usual amount or nothing. Their reasoning was that (unless you are a regular at the restaurant) lowering your tip will not get the point across. The waiter or waitress has no idea what you typically tip so when you lower your usual 20% to 15% they'll just think you are an average tipper. When you lower your usual 15% to 10%, they'll just think you are a bad tipper. They aren't getting the point that you actually lowered the amount because of their poor service. However, leaving nothing gets your point across loud and clear. I understand the logic and think it's probably true, but still cannot bring myself to leave nothing.

So those bad servers end up getting 20% and thinking that they are a great server or that I'm a real idiot for giving them that tip. Makes me mad :mad:

9. socaligirl

socaligirl Rookie

May 4, 2009

You let management know! Honestly, there is NO other way that managers will do anything about awful servers. Other employees telling them does absolutely nothing, but if a customer brings it to their attention, they will take action.

And you're right. With bad servers, if you leave a small tip they will just think you're cheap. Of course they will NEVER think that they are the ones with the problem.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 4, 2009

I usually tip 20% or higher. In our small town we know most of the people who wait on us! Esp. if it is a college kid working for tuition, we tip well.

I will not tip if the person is rude in any way. I can't stand that! I also don't like service people in any store/restaurant complaining about their jobs to me! I am paying their salary - don't gripe to me!

If service is slow, food is cold, they serve with the exact food I requested be left off because I am allergic, we have to wait a long time, --- I put up with all of that because that is how it is in our town sometimes.

The worst was when we ordered, everyone who came in after us was served, then the busboy brought us the check before we had ever been served! We saw the waitress trying to send him back to our table with the check a second time - she did not believe we hadn't been served! The drink server brought all the wrong drinks twice, then our food was served - each order was wrong. It was like You're on Candid Camera or something!

Even then, because we could tell the drink server was brand new and getting mixed up over the waitress, who was mixed up because the kitchen was screwing up, we went ahead and left a 10% tip. We know the people and go there often.

When we are out of town we tip according to the service - attitude, attention, food quality. No good, no tip. But I like to be generous with tips. I read somewhere that if you are doing well, tip really well; when you aren't doing well, tip as you can. It all comes back to you later.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 4, 2009

I hate sitting in the middle of the room, too. If the greeter insists on putting us there, we just leave. NOW.

There's a steakhouse in Bloomington, IN we will never return to, ever, ever again, because they seated us in the middle of the room, even after we requested a side booth, and we stupidly stayed. There were five or six empty booths, but the servers for them "were on break," so we couldn't sit there. Every time anyone walked past our table, he/she knocked against us. I felt as if I were sitting in the middle of the street. It was awful and I hated every minute of it. I couldn't tell you if the food was good or not; I was so miserable in that seat, nothing else mattered.

I've been a server - that's how I paid for my daughter's band trip - and believe me, if a customer requested a certain table or booth, he/she got it, no matter who was on break or whose "area" it was.

People are picky about restaurant seating. I know I'd rather just go home and eat PB&J than sit in the middle in my favorite restaurant.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 4, 2009

I'm a big tipper if the service is good. I think people who have worked in food service understand how hard it can be, and tip well. However, if the service is bad, I leave a nickel and I begrudge even that. I've "been there," and I know that good service is a choice the server makes.

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 5, 2009

If I have a reason to lower my tip, I let the server or manager know. For example, if a server directs all questions to my DW or friend, I will begin by addressing them directly.

Server: What would he like?
    Me: I would like...

If the server continues to address my DW or friend, I will politely say, "Are you aware that you have been addressing all questions to my wife/friend?"

If the first technique doesn't work then the second one usually does. And if the server doesn't get it then, that is when I consider tipping closer to 15%. I am sure that more often than not they make the connection.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 5, 2009

I hate when people who are sitting guests say they can't sit you in a seat because there is no one covering that section. By all means, sit the customer where they want, and then grab a waiter and tell them to pick up a table.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

I'm amazed you remain that composed. Failing to address customers who are speaking to them would merit a zero percent tip, IMHO. And speaking about people in the third person while they're right there is usually pretty rude (though not always).

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

I was a waitress for a long time in HS and college. I tip 20% unless it's a serve-yourself place. If they are busy, apologetic for being stretched too thin, etc., I don't cut the tip. But if they are sitting down ignoring me, or if they are rude or get an attitude, I cut it.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 5, 2009

Firm believer in karma, here. I tip well because I hope it will come back around to me in the future. I'm usually over-generous with my tips, maybe around 25%. I give my hairdresses a LOT because I want him to take extra time with me the next time.

I do take tip off for bad service, though. I hate it when someone who comes in after you is seated first, or even gets their food first-that happens a lot with us. I am also really adamant when I order that I want NO cheese on my food, and quite often it will come out with Parmesan all over it, or shredded cheese. I think it's a simple request, and if the line cook puts it on, the waitress or waiter should know enough not to even bring it out. I once saw a waiter douse my pasta in Parmesan just a few feet over. I almost dove at him while he was doing it, but I wasn't positive it was my plate. But it was, and I had to wait another 15 minutes to get a new one.

I also drink a TON of water during dinner. Like, 7-10 glasses. I love it when they just give me a pitcher water. But if they don't, I really need refills a lot. I get SO thirsty! Being thirsty during my meal is the worst, so if they refill a lot, they get extra tip. That's my biggest thing.

Going out is a big deal for us, and so it's really dissapointing when things go wrong. Of course that's part of life, but there are def. things that are preventable.

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

I know that us Brits have a terrible reputation regarding tipping in the USA. When you first go to the USA it comes as a big surprise that just about everyone wants a tip for just about everything! The guy at the hotel opens the door, picks up a case, calls you a cab! The maid, barman, cleaner, pool guy etc In the UK we also have a minimum wage (we copied it from you). Over here it is about £5 an hour (that would be about $8 at the current rate of exchange). A normal tip for good service in the UK would be about 10% (British waiting staff think you Yanks are the greatest)! You would rarely tip a barman unless you were on your 4th or 5th round of drinks or the round was a very large one and even then the custom is to say to the baman 'have one yourself' and then they usually take the cost of a drink out of your change. In France they have a better idea. Look on the menu, if it says 'servis compris' it means that the service charge is included in the price of the meal. So no need to tip. It does get a little difficult to remove the service charge if the service is poor but then the food is always so good in France disappointment is rare.

It came as a big shock to us when we found out that a 20% tip is supposed to be the minimum. To us Brits 20% would be unheard of. I have learned however!

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

Blazer - and here I am, thinking that the Brits were just super nice and helpful and obliging when I was there!!! Me and my darn accent ;)

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2009

I have to agree with the people who said that the management should be informed if waitstaff did not do their job and did not help you have a pleasant dining experience. I think that is what I will do next time there is some problem since making the tip less probably won't do much good. My father always tipped well. Even when service was bad. If the manager happened to come by and ask how things were going he would tell him/her what was great about the service/food or what was wrong. I remember a few times he complained (he never made it seem like a complaint though) he somehow got the manager to give him a discount on his bill or a gift certificate to come back. I guess it pays to let them know how things were liked in their restaurant. Now that many of the posters have mentioned it, bad waitstaff might not "get it" if you only give them a 10% tip if you normally tip 20%.