What decreases a tip?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, May 3, 2009.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

What decreases a tip?
    I tip 15% almost all the time
    At what time do you "take off" from the tip
    If I know the tip is shared with the cook I will decrease it for quality of food
    if I have to wait too long for service (refills, plates removed, etc)

for good service I tip more

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 3, 2009

Generally I tip more than 15% if I can. The other day I felt awful. All the teachers in the province had converged upon the city, and a bunch of us went out to a local restaurant to eat. They weren't expecting 6000 additional people to be hanging around the city, and didn't have enough staff to manage all the people. The waitress didn't do what I would usually expect of a waitress... not checking on us on a regular basis for refills or anything, but she was working her butt off, so I gave her a tip of about 50%. I figure it would make up for the lack of tips she might receive based solely on service.

4. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

May 3, 2009

We normally eat at the same places, same waitstaff, and tips are normally in the 20-25% category, but when eating at restaurants we frequent less often, not paying attention to the needs at our table would definitely reduce a tip, mixed up orders, rushing us!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

I usually tip 20%, but I will lower it a bit for a few things - rudeness (which doesn't happen often), having to wait a really long time to put in an order or get my drink filled (not for food though, that's not usually their fault), if its a nicer restaurant they need to know some things about serving, like making sure my apps don't come out with my meal.

If I am waiting for a drink or to order and they are talking on their cell or sitting at a booth with friends goofing off, you better believe that's going to affect tip.

Like dfleming though, I am pretty understanding and would also tip up if there was an unexpected situation.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 3, 2009

I tip less if they frown about where I want to sit. I hate sitting in the middle of a restaurant, and I generally ask to be seated by a window. We were eating dinner at an expensive restaurant on the river, we'd been there before and had a table with a panoramic river view. When we were being seated I asked the waitress if we could sit at the table with the view, she said it was for six people. There were four in our group. We were placed at a center table and no one was ever placed at the table I wanted and she didn't get a tip. I really don't understand why you have to be seated, you're paying for the food and you should be able to sit where you want.

Back to the original post, I tip less if the waitress has a bad attitude or totally messes up our order. Generally, I'm a big tipper.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 3, 2009

I waitressed my way through high school and college.

We start at 20% then round up.

I would never tip below 15%. If the service or food is bad, I'll complain. But I'll still tip that 15%.

My most insane waitressing experience was when I waitressed at an Irish pub while saving for my wedding. It was a Sunday night and a new band was playing, so I expected a dull night.

Little did I know that this band had its own fan club-- kind of like the Deadheads with a brogue. The place filled up and I was the only waitress. I ran my tush off and still gave terrible service. Some of the regulars gave me a hand-- bussed their own tables and brought the dishes into the kitchen, went to the bar for their own drinks, that sort of stuff.

I've got to tell you-- people were incredibly generous, especially given the quality of the service they received.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

Since my Dad was half a Scotsman he tipped 10% so to me tipping 15% is what I think is better (being one fourth a Scotsman)
    My wife says how much and it really between 15% & 20%

I don't know the half of me that is Irish says about tipping that half hasn't been sober for 40 years (just kidding I am a teetotaler)

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 3, 2009

I tip 20% that is what is the etiquette at least here. And if service is bad I tip 15%. When I waitressed, there was one couple that would leave only 10%. I knew they couldn't afford to leave more and that it wasn't because I didn't do something. Once I forgot to bring them their refill on a soda. They left me 10 cents. haha. I got the picture fast and apologized the next time they came in.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

I'll be honest - I only tip 10% :)

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 3, 2009

Oh boy, another tipping thread. I'll keep my lips zipped. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 3, 2009

I tip about 10%. I'll start deducting when the waiter/waitress:

- doesn't come at least once or twice during my meal to check to see how everything is & if I need anything.

- doesn't have a friendly demeanor (smiles, etc.)

Those are the main things. I'm not picky or deamdning at all. What I LOVE the most is when they refill my drink w/o me asking.

ONE time, the food took FOREVER for my BF & I to get & the waiter never came over, plus the food wasn't great. We tipped outta there!

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

If I'm paying..... and the service and food are reasonably good the tip is around 20%. If the service and/or food is terrible the tip will be MUCH less. If on the other hand my wife is picking up the tab the waiter or waitress will make out like a bandit.... She will frequently tip 40-50% no matter what the quality of food or service.

Funny thing is over the past 10 or so years my wife picks up the tab most of the time.... I guess there must be a lesson here for the Major since the money comes out of the same piggy bank......:lol::lol::lol:

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 3, 2009

I don't know what waitresses make in other states but here they make 3.75 an hour.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 3, 2009

I never go below 15% either. What I absolutely hate is when I can see the waitperson messing around with staff or friends and not waiting on us.

I also can't stand cold food that is supposed to be hot. I don't usually tip less for that but I will say something and even send back. It happens most often with breakfast foods.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 3, 2009

We tip between 15 and 20% but we withold tip all together if there is bad attitude, poor service or if they don't do all the "hold the..." that occur in the order. Minimum wage here is close to $9-so I figure for that much I will withold the tip if I want.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

Minimum wage for food servers is much less in almost every state as far as I know

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2009

Well, I think the waitress should work for their tip...so to keep it at 15% there should be fair service to go along with that. If I get the following I'll tip less:

*Attitude
    *no re-fills unless asked
    *slow service
    *need to ask someone else to get ur waiter/waitress

Usually I have to experience more than one of those problem to bring the tip down...but if one of those problems is huge and constant, that'll bring it down too.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 3, 2009

I tip 20%+. I am generally understanding of a waitress if she has too many tables or extremely large groups and her service isn't so good because of that. However, if she is "busy" talking to other staff, answering her cell phone or just not checking on us for no reason, then I tip in the 10-15% range. I usually only complain about food problems, not wait staff problems.

20. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

May 3, 2009

Hmmm... some of the responses to this thread remind me of why I won't wait tables to make some extra cash during the school year...

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2009

Ok, here goes. Before I waitressed for 3 years, dh and I wouldn't tip very well, and if the service was bad, we didn't tip at all. :eek:

Once I started waitressing and learned what they have to go through, we started tipping no less than 20%. Tip goes down if the service is slow, attitude, or they would rather talk to their coworkers than wait on us. My sister and BIL just double the tax.

When dh was in the military, he had a civilian friend that whenever they went out to eat, would place a $50 bill on the table at the beginning of the meal, and tell the waitress that they could only go down from there. They never had to ask for anything.

22. smalltowngal

May 3, 2009

And why I'm scared of what I've gotten back into for the summer....

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 3, 2009

We tip at least 20%.
    If we get a good waiter, we go higher.
    It would take a near disaster to not leave 20%.

24. smalltowngal

May 3, 2009

Thank you to those that tip at least 15%...waitstaff, at least in TX, only make $2.13 an hour so they depend on tips to help make their living.

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 3, 2009

Yepper! The other thing I just thought of is that it seems like I have a really bad meal if I order and then the waitperson comes back and tells me they are out of it. It seems like it all goes down hill from there. Especially if it is 10 minutes after I order.

The other thing is salty food. Again, I don't take it out on the waitstaff but I don't like really salty meat, soup or anything. So when this happens I guess indirectly the waitstaff might suffer a little in the tip area because I'm not happy with my food and maybe I notice more things that are wrong.

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 3, 2009

STG, when I was in highschool I was a waitress and I made $1.90. And you know how long ago that was! I can't believe waitstaff only makes that. Is that statewide?

27. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

When I worked, I was like your wife. I felt for the waitresses that I knew were moms, especially single moms.

28. smalltowngal

May 3, 2009

I think so lemon. I know that it was where I was working, and I worked for a major rest. chain.

29. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

You know where I don't tip? Snowball stands!
    There's one I go to where the kids- late teens, early 20's- decorate styrofoam cups with 'Brittany's Tips', 'Mike's Tips', etc., and sit them outside the pickup window.

30. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

I was a shampoo girl when I was 17 or 18, and I made great tips. Christmas was a terrific time for tips or gifts.
    (Slyly..)Men were the best tippers at the salon! One guy claimed I took his headache away!

31. smalltowngal

May 3, 2009

I tip sporadically at Sonic depending on how many ones I have on hand.

32. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 3, 2009

Oh I don't like the fact you can't tip on a credit card or debit card at the Sonics by me. I was so embarrassed-I had no cash either.

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

We eat out a LOT....... and quite honestly... for whatever reason.. my wife pays the tab... The waitresses do quite well......:p:p:p

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 3, 2009

My boyfriend says they used to do the same thing in college - all toss a pile of money with a sign that says "your tip" and they would take money out if they weren't happy. I dunno if I would go THAT far but he said it got them good service.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 3, 2009

I usually double the tax then round up to the nearest dollar. Tax is over 8% in NY so it comes out to over 15%. If the service is really bad it will probably be less. I had a waitress bring me the wrong food one time (she totally wrote the wrong thing down) and my husband's food got cold while we waited for her to bring me the RIGHT one. She didn't offer to bring his back to keep warm. She didn't do ANYTHING to make up for the fact that we sat there for 15 minutes while her mistake was corrected. That's the worst service I have ever had and I cut the tip in half that night.

36. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

May 3, 2009

Here is why I refuse to tip less han 15%-REFUSE
    Servers work their tail off. Make minimum wage...lke 3 bucks an hour. So it's truly their tips.
    When you go out to eat, servers have to pay a tax based on your sales. So for example, lets say your bill is 100 bucks. They have to pay 8% of that, that's 8 bucks.
    Then they have to go and tip others in the restaurant. Lets say they only sell that $100- which ofcourse wont happen.
    $100- Bussers, $3 Runners, $2, Bar,$2 that'sa total of $7
    Total they have to pay for that $100 is $15- So if you are a 10% tipper you are making them pay for your visit.
    I think it's cruel to tip 10%. Don't go out

37. socaligirl

socaligirl Rookie

May 3, 2009

I will never understand why people tip less when the food is unsatisfactory. That has nothing to do with the service.

If the service is poor, leave a poor tip. If the food is poor, but the service is good, ask for new food, and leave a decent tip.

Obviously there will always be SOME errors during a night of making 200 meals. No one's perfect and it is expected. They like to fix it and move on.

38. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 3, 2009

When I worked my way through college, a 25 cent tip was big. I used the tip money to live on for the summer, and saved the wages for tuition.

It was hard work, and I tip generously now.

39. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

May 3, 2009

I tip at least 20 percent...15 for bad service....less for REALLY bad service. I've never not left a tip (we eat out a lot.) Last night we went to Fleming's (nice steak house) and the service was awesome. I tipped 30 bucks on a 110 dollar meal. So I usually tip 25 percent if they do a good job:)

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 3, 2009

Always 20%. I tip everyone, everywhere, grocery baggers, my hair dresser more than 20%, maids in hotels, etc. Those are pretty low paying jobs and very hard work.

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 3, 2009

Speaking of Sonic...I once tipped a waitress 100%. Of course my meal wasn't that expensive but here's why...

I went the day before and I pushed the button. It says to call for a person if special assistance is needed. I pushed the button and I told them I can't hear because I'm deaf and I need someone to come out and take my order. For about 30 minutes they would periodically say something. I would repeat my request. You might ask why I didn't just get out and knock on the door or something. I was very upset that night and the kids were asleep in the back of the car. I didn't think of it. I did try to flag someone a few times. Well then FINALLY someone comes towards my car and says something. Since I can lipread really well that's what I wanted her to do. She told me that the computers were inside so she couldn't take my order outside. I told her it was pretty simple. All she needed to do was go inside and get paper and a pencil. She walked off and seriously served 3-4 more customers before she did as I requested. I left ticked about that. Honestly it was a welcomed irritation. It took my mind off of some other problems. Well the next day I just happened to go back. I did the same thing again. Usually I don't have that kind of problem. Well this time the SAME person came straight out and this time she knew exactly what to do. I gave her a 100% tip and told her Thank You. I wanted her to remember that customer's needs come first.