What Day of the Week do you Plan?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Feb 5, 2012.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

Sunday used to be my "planning" day.

Now I plan/prep one subject each weekday before I leave school. I typically "tidy up" my plans on the weekend based on assessments and things that have come up, but overall it's a Monday-Friday thing.

Just curious what other teachers' planning styles are.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

I'm very new to teaching, so I don't really have a style yet. I do most of my planning on weekends, and do most of my grading on weekdays. But if I have a day without much grading, I get a lot of planning done.
    I wish I could get most done in the workweek because I get really lazy in the weekends!

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 5, 2012

It depends on the week. I'm here on this forum avoiding planning for tomorrow, lol.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2012

To be honest, I don't do an incredible amount of planning during the school year; that's what summers are for.

But I do lay out what I plan to teach, either on a Friday afternoon or some time over the weekend.

My plans for tomorrow are: Area of a rhombus and the homework assignement. At this point in my career, that's enough. I know the formulas, and know the types of problems I want to present.

So I don't need the kind of time a lot of newer teachers would have to devote to planning.

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 5, 2012

I build new units and redo old ones in the summer.

I come to school each Saturday to finish whatever correcting I did not get done during the week and to do the detailed planning for the week ahead (I get to school each week day at 6:00 and reread texts or correct until 8:00.)

I go to school most Sundays for a couple of hours. I stack my folders by class on my teaching desk in the front of the room in the precise order in which I will use them that week. I update my website so that the test dates, paper due dates, etc. are accurate.

I teach in a relaxed and sometimes discursive manner, but I am a freak on organization. The more exactly you know where your lesson is headed, the freer you are to pursue those juicy tangents which arise out of students' reactions to the planned stuff.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

I usually start on Wednesdays & finish up on Friday. I try & have all my copying done before I leave on Friday. I'm not done with my plans for next week yet. . .have to update the standards & email them in. Sometime today I'll finish up.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

Sundays :) I build a fire and plan.

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 5, 2012

Summer and vacations are for major work on old and new units.

Wednesday afternoons are for making copies and getting the folders set up for the next week. I've been doing this for 25 years, so I have the sequence in my head.

It always amazes me that there is a rhythm to the year that I just can't get away from. Sometimes I think that I need to speed up or slow down with something and when I check the dates on old materials they are always within a couple of weeks of where we are right now.

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Feb 5, 2012

First semester was a bit of mess. I think it has to do with the fact that I switched schools and am now teaching a whole bunch of subjects I have never taught before. Second semester starts tomorrow and I've devised a new plan with a new organizational system that I hope is going to help.

Sundays will be planning for the week. All of my notes will be typed up and examples ready to go. Handouts will be printed and ready for photocopying. Anything that needs to be photocopied for the next day will be done before I leave school the night before. That leaves me my planning period to tweak anything (if we didn't make it as far as I thought we would, or we moved more quickly than I thought we would) and to do marking. Hopefully this will cut down on the amount of work I need to bring home with me.

I'm lucky because I live very near to my school and I have a key to the front door. Spending a few hours in at work on a Sunday afternoon doesn't bother me too much.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

At this stage of my career, I fine tune rather than plan. During the summer I do any major overhaul I may need because of curriculum changes. During the year, I review each unit as it comes up to make sure everything is still fresh and relevant. I'll check for some new Web 2.0 ideas, etc. Each Friday I make sure I have everything ready for the next week before I leave work. On Sundays I grade any late work that was turned in and check their weekly blogs.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2012

It really depends on the week. If I think some things are going to be up in the air or simply don't have time, I'll plan the day before during the week before I leave school. Other times I try to have the week planned on Sunday. Today I'm just going to plan for tomorrow because we have field trips scheduled Tuesday and Wednesday. Next week I'll try to have the whole week planned in advance. As a special ed teacher I can't use the same plans year after year because the students' needs and goals change. I may use an idea I've had before but I would never be able to map out the whole year or simply use what I used last year, so I'm pretty much always starting fresh.

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 5, 2012

I like to plan early Sunday morning (4a.m. ish.) That way Sunday can be very laid back.

14. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Feb 5, 2012

Like others.. Summer is used to majorly tweek units and/or topics. As we use smartboards, I keep everything that's used in my lessons. I spend 2-3 days a week during the summer and do a "unit" a week and retweak examples, add more examples, reword definitions etc depending on what problems I had that day.

I use Sunday's to outline my basic plan for the week ahead and add dates/homework to the lessons I've modified above.

I've taught these classes multiple times now.. I know what works and what doesn't in general. I know the material cold.. so I don't review anything.

Having said that, I am planning on going through the planning process on Tuesday with my student teacher, so she can't get an idea of how I use to plan before I had everything all made up. It's almost time for her to start planning on her own.

15. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Feb 5, 2012

I don't really "plan" anymore. All grade levels at my school are in teams of three. Each teacher in the team writes the upcoming unit for their subject. This unit consists of day to day plans, student materials, study guides and tests.

So on Friday, before leaving school all I need to do is pull up my weekly plans and put in what day of each subject we will be on for the upcoming week. Each teacher is then teaching teh same thing on the same day. So if admin or visitors come to visit classes they will see the same thing in each of the three classes of any grade level.

This is new this year and by the end of the year we will have an entire year of plans written and next year only really have to change the dates on our plans.

16. teachyourkids

teachyourkids Rookie

Feb 5, 2012

Are we twins?? Haha!

17. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Feb 5, 2012

For the first several years of teaching, I spent a good chunk of time on Saturday nights or Sundays planning for the week. Now, though, rather than planning for a week at a time, I will plan a unit at a time. (And I do it at school. I'd rather come in early/stay late than bring work home.)

So, for example, when I am finishing up a math or language arts unit, I'll spend a couple of days (planning period and some time before or after school) to plan out each lesson for the unit. Then, the next day's planning period will be spent photocopying all handouts/worksheets and gathering materials needed for the unit.

It works out well, since it is rare that I'll be finishing up two subject units at the same time. Some subjects have longer units than others, so it varies for how frequently I need to spend time planning for various units. A week or so can go by before I need to plan the next unit. Another plus is that this way I also have several days between planning that I can use solely to grade, organize, and catch up on paperwork. This way, I only have to bring home work at the beginning of the year when I am getting things started. I find that I am much less stressed out about my workload. However, this wouldn't have worked for me when I first started teaching--I've had several years to become familiar with teaching certain concepts and skills and to find my teaching "rhythm." Bottom line is, everybody works differently, you just need to find a method that works for you.

18. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 5, 2012

I fine tune last year's plans on Sunday afternoon. Our curriculum is pretty much the same,except for a new writing program, and planning for interventions, so it shouldn't take too long, but it does!

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 5, 2012

Any major work and revisions happen during the summer. But the what are we doing when happens a little bit each day.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

Unlike US schools we have technicians who prep our labs for us. I have to submit my requisition for equipment for the next week before break (recess) on Thursday. So before school on Thursdays I sit and prepare all the stuff I need for the following week. Equipment lists are emailed to the lab tech and all duplicating and copying is emailed to the reprographics lady who then puts all the worksheets and tests etc in my pigeonhole on Friday!

I should add that our schemes of work and schedules are llaid out for the year in advance. All our schemes are now filed on the school computer network. I am responsible for some of the schemes and collegaue do the rest so whatever class I am teaching I can access a scheme which has a lesson plan, resources such as worksheets, powerpoints, video clips and lab work detailed for that class in that week.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 5, 2012

I really like that idea! I would love to do something like that, but it's tough because I work a couple nights a week at my 2nd job.

I plan on Sundays, which I very much dislike! I just can't seem to find time during the week.

22. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

Every time a weekend comes around, I end up watching a few Lifetime movies and getting some errands done or something. And then, before I know it's Sunday evening and I have nothing done. :eek:

23. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 6, 2012

I allocate most of my weekend and a couple of nights per week on planning. I love my job and my district but I think they have insane expectations. My lesson plans need to be extremely detailed and include standards, objectives, anticipatory sets, procedures, a closure, and materials. Each lesson is pretty much its own full page document and I teach 35 lessons per week (all of them a different grade and/or subject). On top of writing out the lessons, I need to research for or create my own materials (usually the latter) that include Smartboard presentations, worksheets, games, activities, study guides, assessments, books, websites, etc. I am completely excausted by it all.

24. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 7, 2012

I write down what we do every day into my planner and then use Thursday after school and Friday during the school day and a bit after school to do planning for the upcoming week, type assessments, decide what labs we'll do (and write up a shopping list), and type any labs that I might need. That way I'm ready for the upcoming week.

Still haven't figured out when I do my grading yet... I still stink at that after 4 years.

25. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2012

We are required to always have 2 weeks of plans and copying ready to go.

26. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 7, 2012

I plan on Wednesdays for the following week. This is year 8 for me, and while I know my standards, my district changes the pacing guide in at least one subject each year. This year we implemented common core in literacy, so that is new planning. Next year we will add common core math, so that will also be new.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

As much as I would grumble about that in the beginning, it does have some advantages. (Especially, when there is no toner or paper!)

28. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

I try to do the majority of my planning Tuesday/Wednesday during my prep periods. Then I do my copying for the next week Thursday or Friday.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

Every day after school for the next day :eek:

Generally I have a big picture plan for the week, but nothing formal written down. I write my plan for the next day after school. I try to do my copying for the week on the Friday before, but since I don't always know what I'm doing that doesn't happen.

I have a lot of routine stuff that doesn't need prep or copying (i.e. calendar).

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 8, 2012

My team plans the basics of the curriculum a quarter at a time, assignments and all. Week to week planning of how to break down the lessons and assignments is usually done on Monday afternoons. Our live instruction has an optional Q&A session on Monday nights with new material Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. The rest of the time is spent as one-on-one teaching, reteaching, and other academic stuff.

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 8, 2012

I am your twin!
    This is exactly what I do, but most of my copying is done by Thursday. I use Friday prep to organize the papers in to daily files. The only work I take home on the weekend are a few papers from Friday I have to grade.
    Summer vacation, Christmas break and an occasional long weekend is when I do curriculum mapping for the year. In the past few years I have to be careful not to spend too much time: my district is wonderful at throwing new curriculum at us the first week of school!

32. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

Knitter I too try to have the copying done by Thursday, but my specials just got shifted a bit and I lost most of my time Thursday so I now may have to do the copying Friday.. lol :) You and I are very similar though!

33. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

My school requires an obscene amount of planning. My reading lessons are usually 2-3 pages (not included guided reading) then there's 2-3 page math lessons, 1-2 page science, social, studies and writing. Then there's the 2 periods of "extended day" we do a week. I usually plan all day Sunday, in the evenings, and occasionally at 4:30-6am when I was unable to finish or keep my eyes open the night before. I'm hoping it's not like this forever as I'm still a first year teacher. Hopefully I can re-use this stuff next year?