What cute myths have you heard about teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jbj913, May 20, 2008.

1. jbj913

jbj913 Rookie

May 20, 2008

Given the financial crisis in education, there are many battles being fought in school districts. In my district, they are proposing cutting transportation to magnet schools, no more hot lunches, cutting school psychologists, cutting school police, no raises for teachers, etc.
    Amidst all that are people who tell teachers to shut up because they have it so easy.
    Miami Herald comments:
    Lawyers get paid less than starting teacher salaries and they have doctorates.
    Go haul stones and concrete in the sun for 10 bucks an hour.
    You have summers off.

I know once I got the, "Oh, your job is easy. You get the entire summer off." After I mentioned how I don't get paid for those 3 months, then I got some compassion for my profession.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 20, 2008

Some parent asked my daughter's teacher, "So teaching is a part time job, right?" Uh, yeah, the same way parenting is a hobby. C'mon!!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 20, 2008

You must live near me.

I get the "teachers have cushy jobs" comment all the time. Never mind that if it wasn't illegal, I'd carry a weapon to school to protect myself from the kids and their drug addicted parents. Has anybody even given thought to what its like to enter a virtual war zone every day (except for soldiers and cops...they have it worse). I work in an inner city school, oh yea, cushy.

The other one I love is that we don't really work "full time" since the school day isn't 8 hours long. uhhhh, what about prep time, grading, endless meetings and so on and so forth.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

My personal favorite (note, said with huge amount of sarcasim)

Those that can do, do, those that can't teach.

That one ticks me off. I would to see some of those "doers" take the time, show the patience and teach a child a concept that is hard for them. Could a cartographer really spend hours working with a student during and after school practicing latitude and longitude.

I think it takes someone extra special to teach, anyone with skils can run a computer program and make a map, few can teach how to read a map.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

My first year in teaching, I taught kinder. One of my kids asked me if I lived at the school. It was cute. :)

Sorry about the problems in your area...teaching isn't the job it used to be. :( Although I'd still never do anything else... :)

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 20, 2008

Leigh...I cancelled my subscription to the miami herald for those comments and let them know, in no uncertain terms, why I did it.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 21, 2008

Let the imbeciles writing those articles shadow a teacher for a day. Then lets see what kind of article they'd write. I love when ignorant people try to say I have an easy job "playing" with children all day. If I lived in Miami I would have gotten all the teachers to write letters to the editor.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 21, 2008

I know quite a few who did, including myself, when I canceled my subscription.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 21, 2008

Students seem to think that we frolic about as soon as the school day is over. I mentioned to a class that for every piece of homework they do, their teachers must read and evaluate that homework for every single student and THEN they have to figure out classwork for the next day. It was funny to watch this thought roll around in their minds.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 21, 2008

One of my favorites is when students spot you in the grocery store or in the mall or at a gas station and look shocked...like you don't have a life like everybody else.

12. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 21, 2008

Isn't this the truth!?! I had my 7/8 graders read each others papers, time themselves, and told them to multiply that by 32 students, and then multiply that by 6 classes! Then they kind of realized how long it takes just to read the papers, not even correcting! Then I talked about planning, meetings, making copies, driving to and from work an hour each way, doing chores around the house - WHAT? One of my students said, "But aren't you married?" I had a good laugh at that one!!!!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

You guys sure get alot of days off!

I guess since I am a teacher, I'm supposed to work every day for the rest my life. Every time somebody sees me, it must be a school holiday.

Are you out today? Oh, you are off? When is school out? You guys sure get a lot of days off!

I can imagine the look on their faces when I finally admit....

NO, I am not off or out! I lost my job, I was fired, I am unemployed!

I don't question people I see in the middle of the day! And even when I am working, I do take a vacation day every once in awhile!

Like we are bears that hibernate for the winter and you shouldn't see us before spring or summer I guess!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 21, 2008

I love with condescending people who say I must love having so much time off. They sure do get quiet after I tell them I work summer school (don't get paid extra),do not get snow days and bring home work on the weekends. I guess they just feel stupid after that.:huh:

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2008

That there's a teacher shortage!

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

My husband always gets mad when he comes home at 7:30/8 and I'm relaxing on the couch and haven't done the dishes or worked out. 'But you get out of school at 3:30! That's plenty of time to work out and do chores around the house!'. Excuse me? I NEVER leave school when the kids do-I'm lucky if I get out by 5. He gets upset if I stay late, but how late is he staying at work? It's DARK when he gets home! 'I'm expected to, everyone does, I have to if I want the promotion'. Like those excuses don't apply to us, too? Where would I be if I left right at 3:30 and didn't clean up or work on papers or plan or go to meetings? Without my JOB next year. Sheesh. So that's my number one myth that my even my husband can't seem to let go-we get out at 3:30-I don't think he'll ever let go of it.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 21, 2008

I get irritated when I see someone out during the day and they have to make the inevitable comment about how I am not working. Then they say something like "I should be a teacher!" Yeah, maybe you should-then you can make peanuts for molding the minds of America's youth, while fielding comments from dolts such as yourself about how you essentially do nothing! Do you have a passion for educating children? Are you particularly knowledgeable in one or more subjects? Do you enjoy being told what to do by a government who has no idea what life is like in a real classroom? If the answer is yes, then maybe you should be a teacher!

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

I always could tell if somebody was a jerk, when I said..."I teach preschool." and they would say...

"Oh, you just sit on your behind and babysit all day, that's not work!"

They showed me that they didn't take me or my career seriously!

There are no desks in preschool! And it's not babysitting!! Anybody who has followed my posts/threads, the preschool threads, this entire site knows better!

Teaching 30 minute reading lessons, Open Court Reading, Saxon Math for preschool..that is direct instruction...and that is what many preschool teachers must do these days!

When was the last time you saw a babysitter sitting at a computer entering a ton of data on 30 kids every day? You can't sit, you must be active, running, jumping, creative movement..dance, singing! Down on their level...encouraging gross and fine motor skills. Playing referee with parents, fighting for help with social workers and psychologists, coming in early, working thru lunch, and staying after your time!!

My babysitter never did any of that! I loved her dearly, but she sat my kid in a high chair, or plopped her in a playpen. She talked to her, and in fact, my daughter took her first steps there... (sniff, sniff :hugs:), but for the most part...she watched children, kept them safe and let the kids play, but she didn't keep records on how much they played and how to improve their play! She knew her kids..and kept records on parents! I don't remember her filling out a million papers every day and doing reports every months!

Even toddler and 2 year old teachers do a heck of a lot more with their children in child care centers now. Nothing against babysitters...but we each have our own roles to fill!

eta...and babysitting is hard work too!

19. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

May 21, 2008

I'm just a first year teacher, so I'm sure I'll run into more of that attitude later. So far, most of the people I know say, "I don't know how you do it. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with all those kids all day."

It reminds me of a Teachers Union T-shirt I saw, playing off the old Peace Corps ad. It said, "Teaching, The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love."

Ain't that the truth? ;)

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 21, 2008

Like mmswm said...students act shocked when they see me outside of the classroom. I sometimes avoid the mall b/c I know I'll run into my kids...I always do! lol
    My bf used to complain about how much "time off" I had...and how "easy" my job was. Jerk...
    Our days off are nice...but those are days we have to heal our wounds, and try and grow enough thick skin to last the upcoming week!

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 21, 2008

Ahhh you beat me to it!

Have you heard that teachers get to pick the students they want in their class?

22. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 21, 2008

I think my new "favorite" attitude I'm running into is the mythology about teaching hierarchy. Like: those who can't be University professors teach community college, those who can't teach community college teach high school, those who can't, etc.

I come from a family of teachers, and I've heard this one all my life. Just the other day, though, at a party, I ran into an old acquaintance. On hearing I'm teaching high school, he gave a knowing smile and nudged me irritatingly with his elbow. "Giving it a test run before you hit the big leagues?" he asked, assuming I would later teach college.

I just walked away, thinking about all the non-prestigious jobs without which the gears of our society would stop. Thinking about all the sweat and blood my sister-in-law has put into being the best Kindergarten teacher this side of the Rockies. Thinking about the complexity, and fragility, and mystifying energy of children and adolescents.

I choose to believe that, deep down, all people know how vital and skilled a good teacher is. Some people choose to beleive that good teachers appear from nowhere, adapted to the work they do like robots. This guy at the party, he thinks smarts just happen. A teacher just scoots that smart kid along. Why? He had great teachers. They made it seem effortless for him to work and learn. He hardly remembers elementary school so, in his little solipsistic universe, he assumes no work went into the experience.

23. allyd

allyd Rookie

May 21, 2008

Here in PA we get a ton of flack about the cars we drive, houses we own, etc. There are no secrets here as there is a website that supplies our names and salaries. There is also a website that shows a picture of our home, how much we paid for it, etc. in one of the counties! All you have to do is type in an address and you see who owns it and any other information that you want regarding the home. One of the myths in our area is that we are paid all year round and are off all summer. I tell people to let me work all year and add another 3 months salary on! Think of the bills that I could pay off! :)

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 21, 2008

I dislike the attitude that teachers can bend all different ways for every single whim a parent or administration has in spite of having a class full of children to teach. Teachers aren't always perfect. They can't always maintain that perfect attitude, lesson, do a million things at once, perform miracle memory feats, etc. Unless it is a gross violation of what you believe in, let it go. Value all the hard work your teacher has to do to make it all happen. Focus on what is important. THAT is appreciating teachers.

My husband says that everybody wants Elementary because it is easier than HS. OH MY! HS is hard too but do you not see me working my butt off every night?

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 21, 2008

How funny you should mention that, cutNglue! Just two days ago I had a conversation with a 2nd grade teacher who only recently moved from teaching middle school ELA to 2nd grade (I think 2 years). Her very pointed comment to me was that there is so much less work in middle school than elementary school! Personally, I think there is tons of work for every teacher, but I can kind of see where she is coming from. Elementary teachers have TONS of paper to go through. Wait, I'm not going to start that conversation (who has the most work) -- I don't have a dog in that fight yet!:lol:

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 21, 2008

We have subs last year that refused to work in Elementary because it is too exhausting. There was a retired high school teacher that after 2 days quit. She had aides and personally she did great. It is more physically exhausting I think but HS does have it's fair share of paperwork, prep work and mind games (teens).

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 21, 2008

Can you say HORMONES??? LOL

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 21, 2008

That's a dirty word.

29. SSA

SSA Companion

May 21, 2008

The idea that educators have some type of groupthink. Educators hold varying views on politics, religion, and even education policy although you would never know it from conventional wisdom.

If one sits in a teacher's lounge for long enough you will find that there are a lot of different viewpoints educators bring to the table that are often based upon much more than simply someone's gut instinct.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 22, 2008

Funny. I just started my red flag day today. I knew it yesterday because I was super cranky.

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

yes, I agree...and it rhymes with 6th, 7th, and 8th

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 22, 2008

When my daughter entered middle school, one of her teachers told me that adolescent girls lose their minds around the middle of 6th grade and do not get them back until after spring break in the 9th grade!

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 22, 2008

I received something in my mailbox at school this year about teacher pay. I'll have to try and find it. It basically started out saying that teachers get paid way too much for 9 months work. After all, we are just glorified babysitters. Then it went on to calculate what teachers would earn if we were paid like baby sitters. It was astounding to see that we make significantly less than high school kids who babysit when pay is compared hour for hour!

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 22, 2008

This is pretty close to the one I got in my mailbox. The one I got went into a little more detail, giving "all those 'special' teachers" an additional dollar an hour or something. People with masters degrees got just over minimum wage. The numbers were a bit higher. I don't remember how the exact figures came out, but pay was even high than these numbers, maybe $90,000 and $123,000?

03/11/2008
    Let's pay teachers the same wage as baby-sitters
    By: Zachary Baehr

Since school teachers are really just glorified babysitters, let's just pay teachers the going rate for babysitting.

Advertisement

Let's pay them $3 an hour per kid, and they work 8-4, with a half-hour lunch. After all, why should we pay them for 'planning' or to eat?

So that's 7.5 working hours a day, and an elementary teacher works with about 20 kids a day.

So $3 X 7.5 hours a day X 20 kids = $450.00.

And I'm sure not paying them for weekends (more 'planning') and I'm sure not paying them for summers off for 'training' or advanced 'education,' so really, we are only going to pay them for 180 days a year.

So $450.00 X 180 = $81,000.

And just to be nice, if you have a master's degree, I'll give you $4.00 an hour.

That means we are going to pay teachers/babysitters $80,000 to $108,000 a year.

And not a penny more!

36. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 22, 2008

Hey, if that's the rate for baby sitting, and I could be making 108,000 a year- I might not mind the "glorified baby sitter jokes!"

We are SO underpaid for what we do!

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 22, 2008

In an effort to minimize some of the stress of adolecence, my sister had frequent conversations with my niece when she was younger. She told her that there would come a time when her brain "went out to lunch" for a few years, and during those years, she needed to try to remember that mom really did have her best interests at heart and didn't do anything just to make her life miserable. Of course, in normal 10 year old fashion, my niece looked at my sister and said "What restaraunt will my brain go to?"

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 22, 2008

There are a lot of pencil pushers at my school who get paid at least 80k and never come into contact with the students. Hmm....:huh:

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

and teenage boys...and some of them don't get them back until they turn 50...or when they become parents! :lol:

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

He learned a lot from his teachers! Like how to make an argumentive paper, and use math to completely reverse your point! I like the idea! :haha: I bet this guy failed a few essay tests, and probably blamed his teachers!

Hmmm...we are caring, nuturing, and helping to mold the most expensive product on this earth...

Human life!

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

I used to wonder why the construction workers got extra pay when applying for unemployment. So when I muttering something out loud to a person next to me, Some guy behind the counter said, "They have unions, and they get laid off after completing a building. Their jobs are important-- they build homes, stores, expressways, stuff like that."

Hmmm, I replied. "I am a teacher, I build brains."

:huh: