What Curriculums do you use?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by angncfl, Feb 6, 2006.

1. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Feb 6, 2006

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2006

angncfl, have you ever checked out Gospel Light curriculum? They are wonderful.

www.gospellight.com

They have curriculums for Sunday school, preschool, half day, and full day/week programs. Something for everyone!

4. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Feb 6, 2006

I have looked at their older materials for school age summer camp. I think I might go that route this year. The Bright Beginnings looks very similar to Essentials. I LOVE Essentials, it's only been out since 2003 and many people don't know it exists. It incorporates center based learning with relaxed play, and traditional education. It's just an all around good program. I felt like we needed something more for the four year olds, so we supplement with the Starfall.

5. brandyr

brandyr Rookie

Feb 6, 2006

I am also at a small non profit christian school and we use the A Beka curriculum. We love it, however we do suppliment it a bit with our own creativity. :p

6. kdilly713

kdilly713 Rookie

Feb 9, 2006

curriculum

Group Publishing has a lot of great materials.

7. RSHERFIELD

RSHERFIELD Rookie

Feb 9, 2006

We use creative curriculum

8. Brandon

Brandon Rookie

Feb 11, 2006

We use the houghton Mifflin reading program, Handwriting Without Tears, and Second Step.

9. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Feb 12, 2006

We use Core Knowledge and Everyday Math. I'm on the lookout for another curriculum for our Kindergarten for the Language Arts portion. I'm considering Wilson's Fundations.

When I homeschooled I used Abeka Christian Academy's curriculum. I loved it.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2006

I like the HWT materials, but I don't believe in using it as a sole curriculum. How do you teach the children to write without being able to use lowercase letters?

11. kittnhawk

kittnhawk New Member

Feb 12, 2006

I use funsteps and kapers for kids curriculums

12. Inspira

Inspira Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

Can you share some of the pros and cons about this curriculum? I'm thinking of buying it for next year, and would like to hear some user comments about it, good and bad. Feel free to share any and everything you can think of!

13. RSHERFIELD

RSHERFIELD Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it--except, in my opinion, the trainings are pretty expensive. I am very new to curriculum and haven't read all the materials yet. We JUST started to implement it. I like the focus on multiple teaching theories and the use of play.

14. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I'm surprised at how many choices of good curriculums there are! It's so easy to get caught in the trap of only using the most popular choices, when there are quite a few other great options. Thanks so much for sharing your what you use!

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 15, 2006

I like Creative Curriculum because it is Deveopmentally Appropriate and allows the teacher to use a vast range of approaches and activities to develop the lesson plan. I feel CC is more of a guide than a curriculum, as the teacher still have to come up with the activities. What Creative Curriculum does is outline how to develop the curriculum based upon the children's needs.

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2006

That was going to be my response as well. It's a great guide, but you have to use your own creativity as well, which you should with any curriculum as well though and make it your own.

17. msaly

msaly Comrade

Feb 21, 2006

we use creative curriculum too, I couldnt agree with you more. Those are the same reasons I use it.

I have never heard of the abeka(sp?) curriculum.. what exactly is it and what are the pros and cons?

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2006

From what I have heard Abeka isn't as "hands on" as other curriculums. I've never used it, but that is what others have told me. People I have talked to have to pull other resources together with it to better accomodate children's needs.

19. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Feb 21, 2006

I love creative curriculum, I've had a class at college solely on it. I've got it on my list of curriculum for our school to consider for K.

Abeka is a Christian curriculum. I used it when I homeschooled my daughter in 5th grade.

20. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Feb 22, 2006

Abeka is an older curriculum and hasn't been updated to keep up with the current findings on preschool development.

The Pros
    It has an awsome phonics program when used properly. Kids who have are auditory learners do very well. If they can memorize, then they're off to a great reading start.
    For Christian programs, it has a good Biblical basis.
    It's very structured and the lesson plans are simple to do, it's basically all layed out for the teacher to do...not much guess work.

The Cons
    Mainly for the children who have to touch, feel, experience...will have a challenging time following the program.
    It's alot of worksheets and crafts, sitting, etc....only uses a traditional approach to education. It isn't for every child.

Of course, these are all only my opinions on the preschool side of Abeka. Other feel very strongly that it's a wonderful program. For our center, we try to reach out to every family in the community, it wouldn't work well with at least half of our students.

21. msaly

msaly Comrade

Feb 22, 2006

thanks for the information! The reason i asked was because I work in a christian program but have never heard of it before. Thank you!

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2006

angncfl, I have heard a lot of the same things from many homeschool moms as well about Abeka.

23. brandyr

brandyr Rookie

Feb 22, 2006

We use the A Beka curriculum, and I can tell you that both from a teacher stand point and a parent stand point (I have one in K3 and one in 1st grade) that I love it. It just has to be taught right. I do bring in other resources to make it more creative and hands on. This doesn't really create a lot of extra work for me since, as stated before, the lesson plans are laid out step by step, so I have plenty of time to find extra resources.

24. tracyl

tracyl Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

I work in a licensed daycare center and we use Early Start Curriculum.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 9, 2006

When I was in college, (I have a BS in child development), we never learned about commercial curriculums. The classes taught us how to design a curriculum based upon the developmental level of the child. We were free to develop our own materials. We did have lists and resources that told us what expectations and goal to have for each child. I guess that is why I like Creative Curriculum.