what curriculum do you use?

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Mrs.Z., May 1, 2009.

1. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 1, 2009

Is it the same or different from what the public schools in your area use?

We use MacGraw Hill Math (which I used in my public school last year) and Harcourt Reading. But I can use any supplemental stuff I have/want- which was not true in my public school nearby.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 2, 2009

Where I student taught, it was completely based on textbooks--- I don't remember which kind. Now that I'm teaching at a private school, we use FOSS and STC inquiry-based curriculum in science. The kids are doing a lot more hands on and we only have short pieces to read instead of textbooks. :)

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 4, 2009

We have Houghton Mifflin math and social studies text books, but how we use them and the materials we supplement with are totally up to us.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

We're a Montessori school, so we use the Montessori curriculum.

6. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

May 5, 2009

we use abeka but we can add anything extra as long as we get through the abeka workbooks.our bible curriculum comes from our accrediation people ACSI

7. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

May 6, 2009

We use Math-U-See for math and Tapestry of Grace for Social Studies. Literature is taught using actual novels, poetry, etc. We use Lost Tools of Writing for composition.

Nicole

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 22, 2009

tracy - what is the Montessori curriculum you use? I am weak in choosing math to support our curriculum guide, and it is totally up to me to choose. I don't like what I had the past 2 years - Saxon Math - too rigid! No flexibility for me or for the students. This year I chose a workbook that looked good online, but I don't like it either - babyish, lack of flow from one unit to another. Ick.

So now I am in the same position. I would really love to have a workbook which would supplement our lessons, but I am big on hands on math. A colleague told me I would probably like teaching in a Montessori school. So what do you use and how does it all work?

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

Boy, oh boy, how much time do you have?

The Montessori math curriculum starts with 1:1 correspondence and numeral recognition, then moves into combining the numeral with counting the right quantities. Once a child can count to ten and correctly identify numerals to 10, we start working with teh decimal system with a material we call "The bank". That helps with place value of units, tens, hundreds and thousands. We also do addition with the bank, static addition (no regrouping). We also work with teen numeral identification, then move on to counting by tens, and numerals to 100. From there we go into simple addition with objects and the bead bars, then the addition strip board. Then we move into multiplication (since it's a similar process to addition) and then move on to subtraction. We usually touch on subtraction and hardly ever get to division in kindergarten.

I have my children for a 3 yr cycle, so the children I have start with me when they're 3 and continue through the cycle until kindergarten. We don't do all of this in one year for sure. :lol:

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

Another thing I've seen before is some Montessori lessons or demonstrations on youtube. You might find some good stuff there.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 23, 2009

Thank you! I will check out these ideas. I am not big on pencil/paper or workbooks, but they do have a use. To me that is not the major part of learning about numbers and using numbers. But some admin, parents, and upper grades kinda look at me like I am crazy if my kids aren't bringing home boatloads of paper work each week. The class they move to after mine has a totally opposite view of such things, so the kids have to do a complete change about the idea of math. So I am mainly looking for a workbook that will make everyone happy but allow me to teach the way I believe is most affective.

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

We have Saxon math books, Harcourt readers, and really old McMillan/McGraw Hill Language and Social Studies in our 5th grade rooms. Other grades have other series. We don't have to use any of them; we have complete autonomy in how we get our outcomes accomplished. Most of us do use the Saxon Math program, but we supplement it when we have to.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

We have textbook series for all our subjects, but have freedom to supplement, choose what resources to use, etc. We just have to make sure we cover the state standards (because we're state accredited) and our "integrating the faith" standards.

16. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

We use ABEKA for language/reading/spelling, although we supplement with novels starting in 2nd grade and several extra writing activities.

We use Harcourt/Brace Science & Social Studies and Math.

17. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2009

For textbooks I use Scot foresmen science, McGraw-Hill Social Studies, Heart Court Math, Shirley English, reading is done through novels.

We use the state standards for our curriculum and I can do what every I want as long as I teach them. So I use lots of supplements.

18. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I choose the math books I want to teach.

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

We use the following:

Math: Harcourt

Reading/Language Arts: Harcourt

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser

Religion: Loyola Press (this has an amazing website!)

Sci/Social Stud: McGraw Hill!

20. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser
    Math, Reading, Science, Social Studies: Harcourt
    Writing - Step-up to Writing
    Spelling - Rebecca Sitton
    Phonograms - Spalding Phonograms

I actually helped with the textbook decision. We chose Harcourt for math because of the assessment piece, we also love the harcourt math computer component - it's a great sales tool as well.

We like the reading, I actually use the teachers manual because it teaches ALL the phonics skills etc. The assessment piece, once again, was how we choose this curriculum. It's almost identical to the MLPP that most teachers use in Michigan to assess early literacty skills. We love all the rersources, low readers, on level readers, high readers - we didn't get the ELL readers. We have the phonics and reading workbooks - gosh, we have everything, it's kind of overload as I just switched from k to 1st this year and theres like 4x as much materials for 1st!

Frankly -we ended up choose Harcourt for science and social studies because we were burnt out after looking at dozens of math, reading, science and social studies curriculums.