What contact information....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jun 9, 2007

do you provide? I'm planning on getting magnets with my contact information to send home to parents with my introductory letter. Should I include my home phone number or just school? I'm a new teacher and don't want it to look bad if I don't include my home number, but I've heard a lot of teachers say they avoid that.

Also, how do you sign your name on things to parent? For this magnet, I wasn't sure if I should indicate my full name, or just Mrs. ______.

TIA!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2007

You might consider your email as an alternative.

I can't imagine any crisis at school that would require a parent or a student to call me at home. A REAL crisis would go to the administration, and they have my home number. Anything else can wait until tomorrow morning or until I check my email.

(PS: consider including the phone number they need to call their kids in sick. My son's 2nd grade teacher had the kids make one 2 years ago, and it's wonderful to have on the fridge!!!)

And sign it as you want the kids to refer to you: Mrs. Schuyler. It feels a bit weird at first, but only to you-- that's what they're used to.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2007

Our parents have to call transportation if their child will not be on the bus that morning. That would be a good number to include if this is the case for you as well !

I agree on the home phone number. I think it's best to keep that off. I try to not give out my home address or phone number just because I like to stay sane. I give out my school e-mail address which I can check at home, and I have a pretty extensive parent-communication method, so I don't feel that anyone should be calling me at my home after hours.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

I only give out my school contact information. Like Alice said, any crisis that requires a home call should go through administration.

On a side note, if you happen to make parent calls from home, be sure you block your number. If they have caller ID, they will then have your home number! Most companies charge extra for a restricted number, but then most have the option of blocking caller ID on a call-to-call basis, usually by hitting #67 or something like that!

6. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 9, 2007

Don't include your home phone number (If they really want to know it, they'll find out anyway), but email address is good. All the emails can be saved and used as proof of communication that goes between the schoool and home.

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

I would not include my home number, or my cell number. I also wouldn't put grade level, because my official level/title at school regularly changes.

The only thing on my cards are my full name with a title (Mr./Mrs./Ms.), the name of the school, the mailing address to the school, and my email address(es)[sometimes, its 2 addresses when the school doesn't have remote email access]. When I have a website, I also put my website address on it.

By making up business cards, you can then put the business card peel and stick magnet onto the cards. I've found it to be a cheaper alternative to buying both.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

My full name Mrs._____ _______
    school phone and my extension number
    my school e-mail address
    school physical address
    school fax number (comes in handy sometimes for parents)
    class website address

that's it. You definitely won't look bad by not including your home phone, in fact you could be opening a whole can of worms you want to avoid. If you provide your home phone and the other teachers on your campus or grade level don't the fur could fly... I mentor a lot of new teachers and they often say that their college courses advocated giving out home phone numbers and doing home visits, but theory is a whole lot different than reality.

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

I agree on not putting on your home phone number...I made that mistake and had parents calling me at home to ask me things like what important things their child would miss if they made a dentist appt on Fri. afternoon! I kid you not. I finally had to have my own kids answer and say that I was not avail. and took a message. I never returned them until school hours the next day!....they finally got the hint! This year, at parent night, I am making it absolutely clear that after school is my family time! No emails even! :)

10. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 9, 2007

Perhaps this will bite me in the hiney, but I absolutley plan to give students my personal number in addition to "official" school contact information. If they have a question about homework, they can call me and get the attention and explanation that they might not be able to get at school. Some students are too shy to speak up at school.

I am moving to a new state this summer for a new job and my husband and I are even making a concious choice to buy our home in the same neighborhood as the school that I will be teaching at.

Students may also call if they forget to write the homework assignment but there will be consequences-missed recess. They need to be responsible for themselves and resourceful enough to call a classmate but if they must, they can call me.

I also absolutely plan to attend activities that I am invited to outside of the school day. Sports, recitals, birthday parties etc. I want my students to know that I am SINCERELY interested in them and that I care more than about test scores. I believe that this will foster an attitude of mutual respect and caring.

Finally, although I expect students to address me as Mrs. Rhinochunks I will encourage parents to address me by my first name. In written correspondence I will sign my teacher name but in personal conversation among adults I will treat parents like adults.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2007

All it took was one seriously crazy parent to make me thankful I had never given out my personal information. I care about my kids, but I have to draw the line!

I have had parents run background checks on me... so I guess they probably found out my phone number as well lol :rolleyes:

12. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2007

If you include your home number you will almost definitely have at least one parent driving you crazy about petty things on your personal time... It can be nearly impossible to shake them off.

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 10, 2007

I think it also depends on where you live/teach. In my urban, inner city, low-income school I can absolutely count on crazy parents calling me at all hours of the day and night with stupid questions like "when is picture money due?". It depends on what grade you teach, it sounds like Mrs. Rhinochunks teaches a much older grade where the kids are old enough to dial the phone :) My kids don't even know their numbers so they couldn't call me personally, it would be the crazy parents. So my point is this, if you live in a rural, small town type place then maybe it's common place and expected to give your home phone number and if you live/teach in the inner city it's not ??

14. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 10, 2007

Next year I will teach 5th graders. So, yes, I expect the student to do the calling. And I will teach them how to distinguish between an appropriate reason to call and a not so valid reason.

It is hard for me to put my personality in words without sounding self-important, but I assure you that I am able to deal with parents kindly but assertively.

I do not know much about the community that I am moving to (I am moving in part due to my husband's military transfer and sometimes we move because "they're called orders for a reason") but I do not think that my decision to give students my home number would be influenced by my location. In fact, I think the poorer the community the more strongly I would feel about my position on this subject.

I want my students to know and feel that they can genuinely depend on me for help and that I care for them once they leave the clasroom too. If they do not understand something from the school day or the homework assignment, they can call me. They will learn that calling me to find out what the assignment was will not be such a good use of my phone number.

When the students in my class are grown I want to be remembered as someone whom they felt truly cared about them. More importantly, I want them to learn and that needs to be possible once they leave school at the end of the day as well. If that means taking a chance with a crazy parent or two each year, then that is the chance I am willing to take.

15. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 10, 2007

I don't give out my home phone number, but I do have all of my school email forwarded to my home email address. I check my email right before dinner (around 6) and will answer any questions I have received before it becomes "family time". Other than that, I'll reply "next business day". :) I feel this is a good compromise. Before you give out your number, ask yourself if you want to receive parent calls after you've gone to bed at night, or if you want your dinner interrupted, or the movie you've been dying to curl up with your honey and watch? I communicate clearly and often with my parents, and if I truly send something home with my students that is causing family stress it is my policy that the parents can simply write me a note and stop the activity. I feel that nothing I assign at home is worth disrupting the family, and I am equally protective of my time at home.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

I also think that part of our job is teaching our kids what is appropriate and what is not.

Interrupting my family's dinner with a question about tomorrow's test is not appropriate. Interrupting my daughter's homework time with a question about your own homework is not appropriate. Waking my young daughter with a question about schoolwork is not appropriate.

Since it's impossible for my students or their parents to know what's going on in my house at any given time, they do not get my home number.

Years ago when I was coaching Speech & Debate, I gave my number to the kids I was coaching. A student who got ill on Friday night and couldn't compete on Saturday was expected to call and let me know, so we wouldn't hold the bus for someone who would not attend. In my mind that made sense. Those kids on my team who were also in my class KNEW that any phone call I got had better concern Speech and Debate.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

18. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2007

I DO NOT give out my home contact numbers or e mail addresses.....
    While I love teaching, it is my JOB, not my life. I have hours like every other profession....and parents can contact me during my working hours!
    I do not have home contact numbers for my doctors, mechanics, tailors, etc.... If I need to talk to them, I do it while they are at work, and the same goes for me!