What contact brand do you wear? Bad expeirience with Acuvue Oaysis!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I have been wearing Acuvue 2 for about 8 years. They were the best contacts that had. Very comfy and no problems. Well, about a month ago, my eye doctor told me that they were being phased out so she had me try out several other brands. All of them were horrible, but the oaysis was the least annoying, so I stuck with them. Well, I noticed that I was starting to get blurry/double vision. I went to the eye doctor and told her my problems. She concluded that it were my eyes, not the contacts. So, I kept on wearing them, just tryng to get used to it. Just now, I did a search and found reviews, all bad!!! Others complained of blurry/double vision and infection!!!! :eek: Some also complained of impaired vision, and one person's eye doctor said that they could have gone blind if they continued wearing the contacts. I am glad that I only wore them for about month, but scared that I DID wear them for so long. I just called my eye doctor office and told them I want prescription for acuvue 2, that I do NOT want the prescription for oaysis! :down:

Anyways, I am sticking to acuvue 2 for as long as I can, but since they are being phased out, what do you guys wear?

Thanks!!!

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

Ummm...I wear the Acuvue Oasys!
    I've worn them for a while now with no problems.

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

I have O2 Optix - i dont notice they are there... I have used H20 Extreme as well but they are hard to find.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

:eek: Sorry... I guess I should have been more specific, but I was truly irritated when I first started writing the thread. I read that there are some people who may be allergic to the oasyis. I don't know if I am one of them, but I do know that I have been having a LOT of problmes with them. I'm glad you don't. I read a lot of reviws, many not so good, but there were good ones too.

I was mainly mad because when I went to my eye doctor about it, she dismissed me, saying that it was my eyes, not the contacts. See, eyes are pretty fragile. You don't want to just ignore something, and have it cost you your vision. So, I was TRULY angry when I read the reviews. I took out my contacts and called my eye doctor right away.

Anwyays, I'm glad you don't have any problems with them!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I haven't heard of those. I will look that brand up and see how they are. Thanks! :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 3, 2009

I wear Freshlook Colorblends (prescription)...have been for at least a decade. But I only wear contacts 3-5 days a week & every so often I may not wear them at all for weeks.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

I wear prescription soft FreshLook Colors contacts. I love them!

9. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 3, 2009

I also wear Acuvue Oasys - and have found that some days my vision is really blurry. I wear one regular contact and one toric (for astigmatism). it's not always though - i have super sensitive eyes as well - so I'd be interested if you find something else that works better for you!

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

I think it just depends on the individual. Just like one person can take a prescription drug, while another person gets a bad reaction to it.

Years ago, I went to a Pearl Vision to get my eyes checked. The eye doctor put in a new set of contacts. Immediately, my eyes started gushing tears. I asked him what was going on, but the doctor had no idea.

He had me sit in the chair for a while. Then he told me to walk around the mall for a while and see if my eyes would "adjust" to the new contacts. So, I came back in a bit. My eyes were sore, but it was some better.

The doctor thought I'd eventually do OK with them. Of course, that never happened and I had to get a different type of contact lens.

11. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

I tried Acuvue Oasys about a year and a half ago, they were horrible! My eyes were red and runny all the time! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, I even thought I was allergic to my dog, I had not had her very long at that time! I'm having a hard time with my vision now, I actually have an eye appointment on Thursday because my vision in my right eye has decreased very rapidly over the last year (not sure if it's acuvue related or not, I did have a bad infection last summer). I currently wear O2 Optics.

12. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

Hmm this thread is very interesting to me. I have been an optican for 10 years. Ever since the Oasys lenses came out, there have been very few complaints. Yes some people are allergic to some contacts but are much more likely to be allergic to the solution they keep the contacts in. I have to be honest, I have never heard of anyone going blind based on the brand of contacts. But Peachyness, your doctor should not have brushed you off and I recommend switching doctors. And if you don't like the Oasys, you should try the O2 Optix or the newer version of the O2 Optix are the Air Optix which are a monthly lens instead of a 2 week lense. The fit is a little different so it may not work. Purevision is another very popular brand and it is also a monthly lense. I know quite a bit about contacts and I still work at an optometrist office so you can ask me questions if you like, I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but I can answer basic questions that you may have, and if I can't answer, I can probably tell you at least where you can get the answer. =P

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

Hmmm, I never thought about the solution. I have always just used the Target brand. Well, when I went to the eye doctor, she asked me what I used, and when I told her I used the Target one, she said, oh nononononono. You need this. And handed me some brand name solution. She said that I had to use special solution for the oaysis one. So, I started using the new solution. I wonder if that was the problem? Who knows. But after reading all of the review on oaysis, and yes, there were plenty on this on contact lens website, I do NOT plan on ever putting those back into my eyes. Why risk it?
    Well, after I get my prescription, I will not be going back to her.

14. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 4, 2009

Biomedics 55 Premier.

15. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Mar 4, 2009

I use the regular Acuvue's. But a friend uses the oaysis and is having problems. Her eyes turn red and itch. She is complaining of them today. I will tell her of your post and have her do some more research.

I have had no problems with the regular. They have been great. My doctor too said they were phasing out some acuvue's. Too bad.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 4, 2009

I use the oasysis ones, and like them. sorry that they gave you some trouble!

17. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

I wear Acuvue Oasis, but I haven't had any problems out of them. I love them.

18. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

I actually hated Acuvue 2. My eyes were always so dry when I wore them. I felt like I blinked constantly! I guess people's eyes respond differently.

19. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

Ha! Me again! I keep thinking of more to say! I had trouble out of Equate contact solution. However, others did not. Film started to form on my contacts, as well as little "bumps" of yellow looking stuff. I know that's gross, sorry! It turned out to be the solution. I use a more expensive kind now, but at least I can wear my contacts comfortably now!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

Mrs. C.H., what solution do you use? I was also wondering if my solution could have been an issue, the new one that the doctor gave me. I have been using Targets brand with no problem, but I'd be interested in trying something else.

21. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

I wear Oasys as well and I love them too! =) I haven't had any issues with them. My only complaint with ALL contacts is that by the end of the day my eyes are kind of dry and get a little bit red sometimes. But every type has done that for me. I really like Oasys and they seem to be doing okay with me.

I just use off brand multipurpose solution as well and I haven't had any issues with that as well. =)

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

I have to use the Focus Dailies because my eyes produce a lot of protein. With the Acuvue 2 brand I found that I was going through a pair of contacts every 3-4 days...and they should last for 2 weeks. It was getting pretty pricey, so I switched, and I love the fact that I don't have to store them in a container.

23. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I use Extreme H2O too! I've had them for around 3- 4 years now and I love them. I switched to this brand because Accuve was bothering my eyes. This brand lets a lot more oxygen to my eyes I guess and I haven't had a problem since. (Actually.. .a small issue.... they do tend to rip fairly easy.)

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

I'll have to look these up! Thanks a lot guys for all of the suggestions.