What color to correct in?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Brendan, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 2, 2004

I now this sounds crazy but what do you correct in?And do you use a computer or written gradebook or both?
    -Brendan

3. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jul 3, 2004

Personally, I don't like red. Just my opinion, but I don't like seeing papers with all those red marks.

As for grade books...I haven't used a written grade book in years. My entire district uses a program called Power Grade. This systems saves countless hours. Plus it does a lot more than keeping grades...I take attandance, have my students personally info (phone, address etc.), prints up progress reports etc.

I think computerizing your grading system is an important time management strategy. Just think...the time you save with your computerized grading system, is time that can be used to improve your lessons.

Adam Waxler
    www.teaching-teacher.com

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 3, 2004

As far as colors to correct in, I agree with Adam... red can be scary. I've had teachers use green, but I've also seen some "fun" colors like pink and purple which somehow made it less frustrating to look at the corrections. ;)

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2004

I dont use red either and for the same reasons....I also refuse to grade in blue or black, I feel like it does not stand out to parents. I try to use green, pink, purple, etc....you can get pens in almost any color now!
    I also have used the thin crayola markers...they work well!

I dont use a computer to do grade books, I cant be bothered, what if somehting happens to my comp or the softwear? There are just somethings that I need to have on paper! The same goes for my plan book...I know some teacers use their comp to plan.....I just need to write certian thigns down!

6. valindy

valindy Rookie

Jul 3, 2004

I use those thin markers too! I like to mix up the colors that I use. I also don't like black because it is too hard to see.

I have used those electronic grade books and I liked it because I could send home print-outs which the parents thought were much more "official." I find it faster and more reliable to use my old trusty pencil and paper method. I like not having it with me at all times, and I think it is much easier to record in.

:)

7. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 3, 2004

I use red exclusively. It stands out quickly and makes it clear to parents and kids what I have written vs. what they have written (my kids often correct their own papers using crayons and other color pens). Red is the traditional color, and I think that some of us as teachers are kind of 'scarred' from seeing red marks on our papers as kids. However, a young child doesn't have those types of experiences yet. I think lots of corrections can be intimidating in any color, but for adults, red can be unnerving psychologically. I think it's more important to focus on what types of marks you are making on the paper than on the color of them. For example, I don't make big Xs by or circle wrong answers, I just draw a slash through the problem numbers. I also put all my stamps on using red ink, so the kids associate red with positive messages, as well. It's all personal preference, IMO.

I use a computer grading system because I can pull up a child's average at any point (such as when a parent calls) and it saves time at the end of the quarter.

Here are some more ideas about grading and papers:

Avoiding the Paper Trap

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 3, 2004

Thanks for your opinions:)
    I will use any color pen or marker except brown, black,purple, yellow and pink. I use a written gradebook becuase my computer could crash and sometimes I don't have a gradebook handy. I also used a computer gradebook ClassAction.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2004

I use whatever color is closest. I only use red on their writing because that is the color that they are required to have. We use that color for proofing and that's it. I am required to have a "written" grade book. I use Excel and print it out for the grade book.

Christy

10. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jul 4, 2004

I use whatever color happens to be available at the time, though I must admit, I prefer to use the traditional red pen. Parents can look at the paper immediately and know that it has been corrected. Since I teach math, I spend alot of time looking at the procedure the students' use and make my comments in red, then write the number of points the student earned for the problem. If it multiple choice where the answer is either right or wrong, I check correct answers and x wrong answers so that every problem has something next to it.

I love the electronic gradebook that our school uses. Grade Quick has many excellent features. I ocassionally worry about computer crashes, etc., so I backup frequently and keep a copy on the network at school, the hard drive at my desk, my computer at home, and a floppy disk copy. (OK, maybe paranoid is a better word :) ) But I find not having a traditional gradebook a wonderful thing.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2004

I'm required to use my computer to write lesson plans, we just email the plans. I have to have a hard copy so I print my plans out. I also use the comp for my gradebook. I keep it on a floppy so that I have it with me at all times. Next year the report cards will be on the comp to.

It's just getting used to using the computer!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2004

I usually use green or purple for corrections and comments. I don't have a computer in my classroom so I prefer to keep my gradebook by hand. I make grading easier by assigning low total values to assignments instead of out of 100. Many assignments are out of 10 or 20. I can weight the grades easily this way.

13. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 5, 2004

I will use a pencil mark that looks like an eye. I require my students to return to the errors and take another look so I use a DOT next to the answer that I want them to LOOK at again. If then the answer continues to be wrong, I may underline the segment where the error occurs or in some cases will gently circle the item. I will use a pen, black ink usually so to NOT stand out so boldly. I am more a subtle evaluator. I am not basing my evaluation on proficiency only, but in the process and then eventually I would like to see mastery entirely. I use a hard copy grade book but average each semester into a spread sheet so I have an easier time completing the report cards.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 8, 2004

Next year I will be doing my plans on the computer so much easier I find and my Vice Principal who is my supervisor loves the idea. Since I am in kindergarten I use whatever color is closet to correct their writing/journals, penmanship etc.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2004

I like a lot of you choose what's handy or I'll ask a student to choose a marker!!! (1st graders love that). I have also used stamps a smiley face or star at the top!!! The other thing I do is have the student write DT on top of their papers for Did Together!! One of my students said my mom asked why I got a D+, but I told her it was a T because we did it together!!! I almost rolled over laughing!!!

16. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 27, 2004

I love using purple, green, pink or anything but red. Red is such and angry color. The thin crayola markers work well but my favorite pens are the uni-ball vision fine pens. They are a grey plastic pen. They write well and can be seen easily. They are expensive but last a long time.
    I keep my grades on a computer and back them up on floppies. I am one of the few who don't keep a grade book hard copy. However, I copy the grades each 9 weeks and back them up every time I record anything. I keep the floppies with me in my teacher bag. My principal loves my final grade book. I just put my 9 week copies in a 3 ring binder. He often shows it off at inverviews with new to be teachers. It is also easy to tell a parent a current grade quickly. The computer keeps it averaged for you.

17. Jul 27, 2004

I use only green to correct papers. I stray away from red for all the same reasons that have been listed. Also, I only use circles, and circle the correct answers, so that the first thing the students see is all the answers that they got correct, instead of what they got wrong. It may sound like a very small change, but the reactions that the kids give when they get their papers back is "I got all of this right?" instead of "I got all of these wrong?" The incorrect problems/answers are left alone, because the students always have the option to correct them and turn them back in for full credit. I do this, because wrong answers don't really help them as much as correct answers do.

I too use a computer grade book, as it is easier to read than my chickenscratch handwriting, and it allows me (and the students) to see their current grade at any time, which can be a motivator to them. Plus, the program that i use also will do things like pick out students or groups at random when needed, which the kids enjoy.

18. wambatjim

wambatjim Guest

Aug 24, 2004

marking colour

I really like that idea of circling the correct answers. It seems to me that it would do more to positively reinforce the idea that by marking their papers we are not trying to see what they got wrong, but what they got right. With today's world the way it is, students need all the encouragement they can get.

I also don’t particularly like the idea of red bleeding all over the page, but in some cases the red colour is needed to stand out (for instance while marking English papers etc before the final draft). I would tend to lean towards the more neutral colours of green, orange, light blue etc. that would stand out from the black or blue of the student.

Thanks for the ideas. Jim

19. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 24, 2004

I use red, and only red. In my opinion, a graded paper is a graded paper. I make my marks small---a line through the number with the incorrect answer, and if it's a spelling paper, I circle the incorrect letters. I don't write huge Xs on the paper. Personally, I don't think the color is what discourages students, it's the WAY the paper is graded. Way back in high school, I had an English teacher who graded in green, and he just obliterated anything anyone ever wrote. That was more discouraging than anything I ever had graded in red or any other color. Besides, red stands out more, and I do want the kids to remember their mistakes so that they can learn from them.

If you have the option of doing a computerized grading program, USE IT! It makes life so much easier. I miss Grade Quick. My current school does not have a grading program, and I hate writing all those little numbers in my gradebook.

20. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Aug 24, 2004

First of all, I am the "Stonegoalkiller" from a few posts earlier. I seem to get all my board names mixed up in all the forums I post in. :)

I use a green marker instead of a red one for one reason only, which is that red seems to have a negative connotation with most of the students that I work with. With the low self esteem that many of the kids have, filling up a paper that they possibly worked very hard on with red marks isn't going to help them feel very good about themselves. Students who repeatedly get most of the answers wrong eventually stop turning in their work, since they see it as a reapeated failure. By switching to green and circling the correct answers, the negative connotation of red is erased, as is the shock of wrong answers being the first thing you see.

When correcting essays, it really doesn't matter if the pen is green or not. The only thing that matters is that it is a different color than what the students use. For that reason, only black pens are allowed by students, (as sometimes I will use a blue or purple felt pen if I can't find my green one). Papers written in green, blue, purple, pink, or sparkly black are handed back and re-written. Most students learn to find a black pen or use a pencil rather quickly.

21. BDR9491

BDR9491 Guest

Aug 25, 2004

Re:

I let my students write in only black or blue pens or pencil.When it comes to correcting.I will let them use any color except the color they did the work in.