What color do you prefer to grade with.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Sep 16, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2013

The red issue is silly.

2. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 19, 2013

On April 1, I correct in pencil (or the color of pen they used).

In their handwriting.

:D

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 19, 2013

:thumb:

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 19, 2013

I grade with anything that will write!!

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 19, 2013

I have a variety of pen colors, but I normally choose purple or green. I think it's just a personal preference as I don't use the colors for anything else (making lists, writing checks, meeting notes, etc).

Honestly, I feel that the whole "red is shouting at the child" is ridiculous. However, I worry about the parent who will tell me that I'm hurting their child's feelings by "screaming" with my red pen.

6. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Sep 21, 2013

When I was in the classroom, I graded with a green felt pen. If I was all out of green pens, I would use purple, but it was almost always a green pen. I stayed away from red because I subscribe to the "red is bad" theory.

I also only marked correct answers, not the incorrect answers. It was very startling for students who were not used to it.They would get a paper back full of green marks, and the horror on their face was kind of amusing... they thought they had gotten the whole page wrong. Once they realized that I had circled all the correct answers, a smile would slowly grow on their faces. Once they got used to my silly little system, they could tell how well they did just by how green their papers were. This worked in all subjects except for when they had to write paragraphs, essays, etc. In those cases, I just did things like others teachers did, but still used my green ink.

Is using red like shouting at a student? I don't know if I agree with that.. but I do agree that having a paper all marked up in any color IS shouting at kids. That was evident the first time my kids saw their marked-up-in-green assignments. I was shouting out how well they did, as opposed to how much they got incorrect. Did it make a difference in their reactions and self esteem? While I would like to think so, the truth is that you would have to ask them. At the very least, it made me feel better to do things that way, and that counts enough for me.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2013

I also see no harm in red ... Parents who moan and groan about little things like this make me hate teaching.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

Right now my hot pink Sharpie pen is my favourite.

9. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 21, 2013

I grade with whatever I have closest to me. Sometimes if I take a break mid-grading (or if the pen/marker dies), the test will be graded in two (or even three) different colors!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

That is perfect!!

Just my luck, I'm testing April 2nd this year :(. I may have to find a way to quiz on March 31 so I can hand it back on April 1.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2013

Same here! I just wish the yellow showed up better because it's my favorite scent!

Sometimes I let the kids pick which smell they want on their paper :lol:

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2013

I do the same.