What color do you prefer to grade with.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Sep 16, 2013.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

I rotate, but my favorite is green. What's yours? Or do you have one? Random? Straight up red?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2013

Green or purple ink only. I never use red ink.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 16, 2013

I use all colors but I gravitate towards purple the most with green being a close second.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 16, 2013

Our school has these blue and green felt tip pens. I usually use those, but I've used pink, orange, purple, etc. I don't like using red.

6. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 16, 2013

purple or teal or green. I tell the kids it's because it will make them feel better if they get a bad grade and it's in a pretty color. They tell me that's not true. I did have a former student leave me a note on facebook that his college professor grades in purple for the same reason. It also does not work.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 16, 2013

I grade with whatever I pick up.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2013

I use purple.

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 16, 2013

I alternate very strictly because I keep so many grades written on one page. My fave is purple, but that's just because I like purple. :) I also like brown a lot, just because it's different. All in all, I use 9 different colors.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2013

(Would the OP be offended if the thread title were corrected?)

11. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

Nope, I already noticed the error:)

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2013

(Good.)

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2013

This is what I do as well.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2013

I tell my kids they can use any color but red, as long as it's dark enough for me to see. (I'm not one of those math teachers who insist on pencil; I'm fine if you cross out ink.)

So I grade in red the vast majority of the time.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2013

When I taught, I graded with whatever color I picked up, but never in red.

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 17, 2013

Random. I just get an 8 pack of thin crayola washable markers and use whatever I grab first when I reach into my bag.

Since I use marker instead of pen, I never run into incidents where my corrections look the same as student markings.

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 17, 2013

Usually I grade in red.

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2013

My school doesn't allow us to grade in red because it's "too harsh" :rolleyes:

Anyways. We're supposed to grade in green, but my green pen was stolen so now I'm grading in purple which I'm liking a lot.

19. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2013

I think it's silly. To me, no matter what color you grade in failing grades are going to be failing grades. If a kid gets a lot of things wrong on a test or assignment, there's going to be a lot of "color" on the paper. I don't think the color makes a difference.

I prefer using green or red because it stands out against pencil/black ink. If I grade in other colors, the students might not see the corrections.

21. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 17, 2013

Yeah, I find the whole "red" issue silly. If a paper is completely marked up in colored ink, it's obvious why, regardless of the color chosen.

The only reason I don't use red more often is that a lot of my students like to write in red for some reason and I need a different color.

22. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 17, 2013

I usually correct in red, but sometimes I use other colors, too.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2013

I use whatever I have close. I know of the whole stigma attached with red, but I think if I only ever used one particular color, a stigma would attach to that color as well.

24. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2013

Blue, green or pink highlighter because I often highlight mistakes, good points or the correct answer on a test.

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 17, 2013

I was given a set of Bic Velocity pens when I started at this school as part of a welcome gift. I fell in loooove. The pack had purple, lime, pink and teal, so I've been switching between those. I pick one color for the week, so all my grades in my grade book for the week are in the same color. If a student is missing an assignment, I leave the box blank in the grade book. If they turn it in later, I fill in the blank box with the new week's color, and it's my sign to myself that the assignment was late (colors do not match).

We just placed an Amazon order and I told dh to order me the large pack of these pens, so I should have a few more colors soon. I keep them in a container at home and am really protective of them. It's strange, even for me. ;)

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2013

Jem...I like your color coded grading idea!

I have no fave color, but I do love Flair pens and Crayola markers. I grab any color that's handy.:)

27. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 17, 2013

Emphasis mine.

Exactly... I don't see red as "harsh" or "psychologically damaging". And yes, I grew up with red marks, and I'm a (relatively) balanced individual.

Red denotes "stop" in many ways (i.e. "this error should stop in future papers").

I'm sure there are arguments: "Red also denotes anger, blood, hatred." Well, okay... I guess historically that can be shown. But then we can say "green with envy"...so does marking a paper with green show that the student should envy better marks?

*shrug*

A mark is a mark in my eyes. In 19 years, I've yet to have a parent come to me: "Please stop marking my child's papers in red... it hurts their feelings." (Not implying anybody here is using that as an argument.)

I say, it's personal preference. Mark in red, green, blue. I would choose a color quite different than pencil or black pen, only so that it stands out (another reason I choose red).

I do admit I like purple very much, but have only found Flair in that color and their fairly more expensive than red (at least at Office Depot). :)

28. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 17, 2013

Jem, that is an AWESOME idea about switching colors... although I usually mark my gradebook with pencil, your way is so clever! Thanks for sharing. (I wonder if I could do the same with colored pencil).

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 17, 2013

Part of the reason I don't use red is the stigma attached to it, but part of it is that I really don't like the color red very much. Red is also the bottom color in our grade level's behavior system (clip chart), so it does have a negative stigma from that. Of course, orange is a lower color too, and I still use that... :rolleyes:

30. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

I used red today but that's only because I didn't want to open a fresh pack of green or purple.

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2013

I use felt tipped pens or markers in any color. I hate grading with a pen.

32. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 17, 2013

I use whatever pen happens to be closest to me when I sit down to grade/

33. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

I use red. I don't subscribe to the theory that it hurts anyone's feelings. An F in purple or pink would still be an F. I like red because it stands out a lot against black ink.

34. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 17, 2013

I don't keep a paper grade book any more but I wish I had thought of that when I did because its so easy but clever.

35. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 17, 2013

I like to grade with the smelly markers. Any flavor. They give me the pick-me-up that I need.:lol:

36. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 17, 2013

I have most of my assignments submitted electronically via Moodle or sometimes email and I usually edit them in Word or on my iPad in Red E-Ink. When I do grade something by hand I almost exclusively use a Red Flair Pen or Red Gel/Rollerball pen.

37. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2013

I grade in any color, I also love Crayola markers or Flair felt tip pins. I find that the Flair pens don't last long. I also use different color bold ink pens. I don't like black or blue in the pens, doesn't stand out to me. One of my coworkers like the fine point Sharpies.

38. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2013

I had a college professor said that he would give us feedback in green ink and never in red. At first, I thought he was a nut. I was surprised how different green felt than red in receiving comments. They did seem warmer and less harsh. I then decided to adopt green (and eventually added purple) when I became a teacher.

I agree an "F" in any color, still will feel like an "F". I do think there is something to be said about green ink for comments instead of red. Possibly this might have a little of truth in corrections as well.

39. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2013

Adding to the color coding ideas/thoughts-
    I actually switch colors for every assignment. Then when I enter grades online I don't worry about somehow getting off track and entering the wrong column. Plus I know if something was late because it will be in a different color.

40. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Sep 19, 2013

I read once that research has shown that green is best. Students supposedly respond more positively. But in practice, I've had students complain that I should use red and they tend to ignore any corrections or low grades that are not red.

41. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 19, 2013

folly red