What classroom theme did you decide to go with?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Aug 11, 2012.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

You guys probably remember that I was going back and forth on themes, and then I even had you guys vote on three themes, and the crayola crayon theme won. I have a fantastic TA this year who is so artistic, so she pretty much put the theme together. Even my classroom management system is a crayon. It's adorable. They are given clothespins to move up or down the crayon, and the crayon uses the basic stoplight colors, plus an extra blue (our grade-level decides on one basic management system and we all gave to use it, but can modify it like I did. It's so cute. What about the rest of you?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2012

My room is decorated with the content I teach, and our school mascot and colors.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 11, 2012

I am thinking either a Hollywood theme again, or peace signs/tye dye.
    I am not a huge theme person, but I like the way a theme ties in the classroom community.

5. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 11, 2012

I went with frogs & green. Frogs because they are my favorite animal and we will be learning about frog life cycles. Green because we are a inner city school and there isnt much green around. I hope it will be a way of bringing "nature" inside and producing a calming effect. All of my boarders are of leaves, and I have 2 plants so far. I hope to have a few more once we get into science and learn about plants.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

Those are great ideas you guys. Terri, my TA put together a frog theme on the BB outside of our classroom. It's adorable. There are frogs and a lily pad for each student with their name on it. The title says, " Jump into P1" (P1 means pre-first). It's adorable.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

My classroom theme is cupcakes. When I first started teaching, I wanted something that was unique and not seen in every other classroom. My first year, I had a parent tell me during a conference they were told by their child they could find my room easily but just looking for the cupcakes. :lol:

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 11, 2012

MS Social Studies so I went with Stars and Stripes. I found it way easier and cheaper to shop once I had a theme. Hit target and other dollar stores around Memorial Day/4th of July for items, and only buy plastic containers that are red white and blue. Got great Patriotic Fabric for the Bulletin Boards as well.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2012

That does sound really cute Tami!

I'm doing the Wizard of Oz. I go in next week to work on my room-still working out some of the bb titles but I'm excited. I found borders that are rainbows and one that's a glittery green. I even have my ruby slippers for the 1st day of school. ;) We'll see what it looks like when it comes together.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

I have a bright and colorful room...no theme, just content related displays, really. I do have a back to school theme for my postcards to students and first bb: the Olympics..:thumb:

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 11, 2012

I have sort of a color theme going with green, purple, and blue, but no real theme. I just love those colors!

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2012

I used bright colors and black to tie things together. Our school theme is "Let Your Light Shine," so I used a lot of stars to label things. I even found a pack of nice sized die-cut stars in the perfect colors at Target's Dollar Spot!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

I'll post pictures once I finally remember to take my camera to school!

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

Love the cupcakes theme! That sounds adorable.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

The teacher next door to me did an Olympics theme bb.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2012

I teach 5th grade which is a big year for US History. I have the desks arranged so there is a large space down the middle. On the left side of the room are more desks and they are the House of Representatives. On the right side are another group of desks which is the Senate. On the first day of school, the students get to choose which state they represent and yes, I do allow them to choose whatever state they want in the House. In the Senate, I allow no more than 2 students with the same state. This works well as we make lots of decisions where we vote with the House and the Senate and then I either pass it or not. We talk about overriding vetoes which they love. Of course, I am very choosy on what we can vote and not vote on. Otherwise, they'd vote on having 4 hours of recess a day. :)

17. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

I'm doing animal print--mostly leopard and zebra. I made a big banner that says "Go Wild For Reading", so that's the reason for the theme (and because I had a ton of leopard print stuff already). I also have colors like pink, bright orange, bright blue, and lime green around too. It's not done yet, so I hope it turns out okay.

18. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

Dr. Seuss :)

19. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

These all sound so cute! I did more of a color scheme. Blue, green, yellow, black and white.

20. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

Ladybugs, red and black. I've used this for several years now. I love ladybugs and have collected many over the years. Red is my favorite color.

I keep this theme so I can be surrounded by my collection and my favorite color. It's fun, too!

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 11, 2012

I loved that Rodney Dangerfield movie growing up.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2012

How neat!

23. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2012

Just bright primary colors for me. Designated spaces to display exemplar work and student work. My room seems complete when student work is displayed everywhere.

25. amh0130

amh0130 Rookie

Aug 11, 2012

I'd like to do a theme, but there are so many themes I like. I may change it up different times of the year. I would like to have classroom mascot though. I might have to do something different than the school mascot. Our school mascot is a dragonfly. I'm not sure if I can find a big stuffed animal dragonfly. :lol:

26. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

I had seen this a couple weeks ago so I refound it for you.
    http://www.animalden.com/8684.html

27. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

I'm teaching at a new school this year and their preK room has always been the "busy bees" so I continued that. I wasn't crazy about it at first (I REALLY wanted to do an Eric Carle theme) but I feel like I've made it my own. :) The colors are black, yellow and light blue.

28. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 11, 2012

I have chameleons in the hall, on the calendar & the Birthday poster, but not really a theme. Don't really decorate a lot.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2012

I am going with fish.

30. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2012

I'm at a MS but I am teaching 6th grade World Geography for the first year (science and English before that). I ordered flags from ebay for the 6 countries I've visited and I'll hang them around the perimeter. I also bought a fabric map and I'll use that for current events, etc. The flags were less than $5 each so I figure they were cheaper than a lot of posters and they are very colorful.

31. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

Our district is doing a big college push this year so I went with my college theme - Pirates :)

However, I am not going crazy, just using black and yellow (matches my University pennant) and some pirate themed BB titles....

32. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 11, 2012

I don't have a theme, I use blue as a primary color and then a mix of colors in addition to that with polka dots and stars. It keeps it simple and easy to add things to it over the years.

33. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

I decided to go with a solar system/alien/space/star theme, but it's not really over powering.

34. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

Owls again, same theme, but I did change my room up!

35. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

This year, I didn't really do a "theme." I have a variety of animals, including owls, bears, and bugs. I just wanted the room to be inviting. I like the way everything turned out. :)

36. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 12, 2012

Thanks! I'll have to post pictures of my room once everything is done. I have a bookshelf in my room that I covered with cucpake wrapping paper and sealed with mod podge, super cute!

37. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 12, 2012

I'm doing a camping/s'mores theme. :D

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

Yes! I would love to see that. I might try something like that in the future. Or a sweets theme.

39. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

I found a paisley print table cloth on sale and just knew I had to use it! I am using paisley and owls. It looks soooo cute!!!!! I just love all the cutesy owls they have out now. :)

40. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

Hawaiian! This will be my 5th year with a Hawaiian theme. It's a good theme because there are a ton of decorations at party stores and dollar stores.

41. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

Sounds too cute-but I'd be afraid it would make me hungry! :p