what centers are worth it? Which ones aren't?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Sep 11, 2010.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2010

The subject line says it all. This is out of curiosity, because I am no longer doing centers except for Friday centers, but am doing the Daily 3 instead of. I have seen posts on here stating that some centers really are not effective. So, which centers are effective?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2010

I personally believe when all the centers are all about creating some art project, its not as effective as centers developed with literacy in mind.

Effective centers in my personal opinion include, but are not limited to: library, listening, word work, poetry, writing, big book, ....

In the beginning of the year I also have a "read the room" station.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2010

Oh ok. I like those center ideas. On Fridays I do Friday centers. So far they have been literacy based (play-doh spelling, reading, writing, etc.). I typically leave art for our Friday project, but sometimes I include it as a center that I run with the kids, but I haven't done that this year though.

Thanks!

5. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 11, 2010

My centers are AR read, computer phonics game, poetry, squiggle journal (turn a squiggle line into a picture, then write about your picture), Vocabulary squares (write the word, definition, and draw a picture for 4 words), and the last one I call "Skills." It rotates between spelling, Top Ten (write sentences about a topic), Grammar, and later on I will add comprehension. Write now I do a comprehension page with the small groups once a week. They will be expected to do it on there own by the end of the year.

6. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Sep 15, 2010

I am trying to incoprate centers but its only day three and the students just got text books. I hope by next tuesday, I can give it a test run. I will probably do a writing centers, reading, and spelling/vocabulary builder

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 15, 2010

I agree with Lynn and Debbie Diller makes a definite divide between workstations and centers. Centers to some still connotates dress-up and just playing blocks. As long as they have a structured activity to complete and are staying on task, I think any workstation can be effective.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2010

I really like those center ideas. Thanks for sharing.

9. alschoolteacher

Sep 15, 2010

I think I finally got it figured out after 5 years of trying! I am still struggling with fitting in 6 rotations, but with 26 kids I have to have that many.

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 16, 2010

One center that I found really meaninful toward the end of second grade was a dictionary dig.

The children would find a word in the children's dictionary... list the guide words... write the definition and come up with their own sentences using the word.

When that was finished the children in that group would work together to use all 5 (or however many were in that center) words to write a story together.

I teach in a parochial school where the kids must memorize Bible verses every week. One standing center asks the kids to find a bible verse, list its chapter/verse and book its from and write a letter to me about why we should use this verse as a memory verse next week. :) Their letters are HILARIOUS! :)

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2010

Ooo, Starista, I think I'm stealing that last idea! What a great way to get them into the Bible, as well as writing :)

12. alschoolteacher

Sep 16, 2010

We do a dictionary assignment every morning as morning work. I assign a word and they have to find it in the children's dictionary, write the word, part of speech, correct definition, and draw a picture. I like your idea to write a story. I may implement that at the end of the year.

I love the Bible verse idea! I work in a Catholic school and it is tough to find good center ideas for Religion.

13. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 17, 2010

Thank you. :) It's a LOT of fun and I use it as a free choice activity after completed seat work.