What can you do with a Fine Arts Degree?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bonneb, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 26, 2010

I have a young friend in college who is majoring in fine arts. I think she will eventually either write a novel, create a great comic strip, or maybe a graphic novel.

She expressed to me that most people are not very respectful when they hear what her major is. They usually ask, "What can you do with a fine arts degree?" in a not so nice voice.

So, what CAN one do with a fine arts degree?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

I have no clue....I've always wondered why someone would major in Fine Arts.....

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2010

The last time I checked, animation/cartoon companies such as Disney & Warner Bros. required it for certain animator or illustrator positions.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

DH got a Bachelor of Fine Arts with an emphasis in graphic design.

Unfortunately, design jobs are few and far between in this economy :(

But right now he makes signs, banners, vehicle wraps, etc.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

Rule the world! It surprises me that fine arts are so taken for granted. Surely, you understand that top portrait painters make what many of us as educators make in a year except they do it with one painting not to mention they paint several in a year. Surely, you understand that the world of fine arts is practically an entire universe of entrepreneurial opportunity. Private showings, juried exhibits, grand commissions, personal enjoyment, and more that I can not name for lack of knowledge about them. Name an industry, any industry, and fine arts supports it in some fashion. Albeit, most time we consume art as commercial endeavors, everything you see that is packaged, manufactured, or set out for sell has been touched by an artist. The scope of that is beyond mere simple imagination. Name a man made object: designed by an artist. Name any object: used by an artist to express some message to you and I. Art is what humans have been using to communicate culture to the next generation from since the beginning. What can one do? One can know the connection to the beginning of higher thought. To remember when life for people was in it's primitive form, devoid of all the useless crap that weighs people down in this day and age.

Painting, sculpture, printing, commercial manufacturing, theater, moving pictures (an entire industry of arts related employment), advertising, and the list goes on. I repeat, what can one not do?

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

I agree, Securis. :)

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I know that if you get an MFA (Masters in Fine Arts), you can work as an editor, publisher, etc. I'm not sure if the same goes if you have a Bachelors in Fine Arts.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

Very well said Securis.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2010

Yay, art!! I'm all for people pursuing their passions.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

Thanks everyone. I printed this and passed it on to her.