What can parents do?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by luvmykids, Jul 17, 2005.

1. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 17, 2005

My son will start preschool this year and I was wondering what are some things we can work on this summer with him? He has been in daycare so he knows waiting in line and sitting in his seat but what other things do you expect children to "know" when they go to preschool?

3. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

If all my preschool kids came in knowing how to sit in ther seat and stand in line I would be very happy :) Other things to know would be, how to use the bathroom and get dressed and undressed unassisted, also to wash there hands. Academically if my three year olds knew most of their colors an shapes that would be great too, but not needed.

4. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 18, 2005

He seems very ready then. He can do all of those things. Thanks, it helps to set me at ease to know that he is prepared!!

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 19, 2005

Also following directions, picking up toys, taking care of own needs--washing hands, etc..

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

I think independance is a biggy! Acedemics is a big thing for me, but if they come to me ready to learn, that is half the battle won right there. If the children have a willingness and love to learn, then all the acedemics usually come pretty quickly as long as the parents do their equal part.

7. tstewart113

tstewart113 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I agree that he already knows the most important things and that is always a blessing to a teacher, when a child already knows how to listen, wait patiently, share and be respectful of his teachers, friends and classroom materials. However, if you wanted to work on some other things, name recognition, writing his name, cutting and using little dots of glue instead of puddles are very helpful skills to have right off the bat.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Letter recognition (upper and lower) and their sounds is super helpful. Learning left to right progression is also great to know before going to K. That way they don't write their name in all four corners of their papers (you know, one/two letters in each corner).

9. plays2learn

plays2learn Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I can only speak from my experience but it seems that in my room when the student can write and identify the letters in his name he seems much more excited about learning other letters. I think it gives the child confidence and a desire to show others his ability. Also, just showing your child that learning is fun and something you enjoy as well, helps set him up for a more enjoyable preschool experience.

The very fact that you are working through things with him at home tells me that he is going to do wonderfully at school and have a great time! :)