What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by ErikaG, Jul 29, 2007.

1. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I am a first year teacher. I did my student teaching in second grade and I will be teaching second grade this year. I know that the second graders that I experienced during the spring when I did my ST are not the same second graders that will be coming in August. What can I expect from my class the first few months? Abilities? Attitudes? Social skills? :thanks:

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

It takes consistency and patience to teach them the rules and routines of 2nd grade. I always look at it as I am moving them from the little league to the big league so there are many new expectations to learn.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

This is a good age. They are really trying to be independent. Some of them really blossom in 2nd grade. They start out a little immature but by the end of the year they work better with group activities, centers,etc. With reading many of them really can decode words but lack comprehension. This is a pivotal year for that and fluency. They like reward systems of all types. I usually have an individual, group and class reward system. They do like to tattle so be prepared for that.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Start planning three level lessons and activities for your low, middle and high students.

I usually have three or four who don't know all of their alphabet and are reading on a kindergarten level and three or four who are reading on a fourth or fifth grade level and everyone in between so differentiating is super important! Hopefully, your class will have a smaller range of abilities.

6. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate it. I would love to hear more about second grade!

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Second grade is awesome!!! I love teaching this age as the students show a lot of growth throughout the year. It is amazing what a year does for them. Be prepared for the immaturity, they are basically first graders when they come in, but by the end of the year it is amazing as many will be reading their first chapter books and writing a nice organized paragraph.

If it is your first year teaching just know that you need to do your best, but it is impossible to do everything. Breathe and use this site to vent. Congratulations on getting to teach this wonderful grade. :)

8. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks Sophie1 ! I am very excited about teaching second grade. I have been doing a lot over the summer to get prepared. This site has already been a great help!:)

9. sunshine73

sunshine73 Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I also st taught in the Spring. I was wondering what to start out with also. Where will the children be?

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2007

I've found that kids usually lose about two months of ability over the summer so my first week or so of school, I plan for first graders in March, April or May then we speed up very quickly.

11. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 5, 2007

You are truly lucky to be teaching 2nd grade. It is my favorite of the grades I have taught (1st, 2nd, 5th, student taught 3rd). Most of them can read easy picture books and some can read harder chapter books. You will see reading and writing ability that run the gamit from K level to 5th grade level. The challenge is helping the slower kids and challenging the super capable kids! I think key too is having high expectations, don't let the lazy ones take it easy, push them to do their best. You will teach adding and subtracting with regrouping, their first real science experiments and things like research reports and book reports for possibly the first time. They can be surprisingly astute in their knowledge of pet subjects and very artistic at a young age. The best part is that they are so eager and excited to learn and they think everything you do is the bees knees! Welcome to a fantastic grade to teach! I teach first grade gifted, so we start at 2nd grade language arts and math. It's the greatest! :haha: The very best part is seeing them do a really good writing project, or a whole sheet of math 100% or reading fluently with expression at year's end, and you sit back and smile and say to yourself, "I did that!" Very, very cool! Upper grades don't really see that kind of growth that we get to experience.

12. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Hi Erika (it's not often I find another erika spelled with a k),

I have 1 year of teaching under my belt and it was 2nd grade. This year I will also be teaching 2nd grade. It is a wonderful age. One main bit of advice about it:

THEY ARE STILL 1ST GRADERS WHEN YOU FIRST GET THEM!! Beware because I'd previously student taught 4th/5th grade and was expecting WAY too much out of these 7 and some 6 year olds. Everything I thought was common sense was a difficult task for them. Make sure you start off the year with PATIENCE and going over things more than once. Most of them are NOT auditory learners so show them exactly how they should do things (via transparency works best). I sped thru the whole 'writing down hw' because I figures it's just simply copying words from the board. Wrong! Some would copy the spelling hw and totally skip the math hw section or either would write their assignment under December instead of August and their parents thought they had no hw b/c there was a blank space under Aug. 28....etcetera etcetera.

They will learn though but it won't take as long if you're just very visual with them in the beginning. If 1 is confused, stop everyone and show them again! My kids eventually were the most mature 2nd graders out of 8 classes but it's b/c I treated them like I did my 4/5 graders (out of habit). I had the best year and my kids learned so much more than normal 2nd graders do b/c I challenged them and had very high expectations. But the beginning of the year would have been easier had I followed my own previous advice. Hope it helps! Good luck with 2nd grade!!

13. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Congratulations on your new job! It is sooooo exciting to get that first position. This is my third year of teaching. I taught first grade for my first year, my second year was a grade 1 & 2 split and I have the same split grades this year but different students. Most schools let you keep the same students for both years so that you can cover all your curriculum but my school doesn't get that yet. Anyways it's fun to get a new group each year and find out what makes them tick.
    Everyone else that posted is right about your second graders coming in as first grader level. I would start out reviewing the alphabet and the letter sounds (usually for about the first month at least), if they seem quite strong then move on to consonant blends, diagraphs, etc. Same with math you will need to review the basics of addition, and subtraction. It's really important to take the time reviewing because it helps get them back on track after the summer off. Hope this helps. If you have more questions you can private message me. Good luck with your first year :)!

14. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Thank you guys for all of the advice. School starts on Wednesday and I am still super busy trying to prepare everything and attend all of the mandatory meetings. This last week has been very overwhelming trying to take it all in , but I am looking forward to the first day!

I have planned a very easy first three days. We will be team building, getting to know each other, and learning rules and procedures. I will definitely keep in mind your advice autumnpumkin and passionateacher!

Yes, passionatecher, I'm a K! :) It drives me nuts when people tell me that I spell it wrong!!!!:lol: