What can I do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SCTeachInTX, Dec 4, 2010.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 4, 2010

I am going on a cruise in the SPRING... I really want to feel good about myself on the cruise and need to lose some weight and get into shape. I have a gym membership, but by the time I get home from school, and make dinner, the last thing I WANT to do is go out in the cold to the gym. I know I need to eat healthier. I know I need to just do it. HELP! I have to do this or I am going to be miserable. And yes, I KNOW that looking good takes hard work, and I just have to realize that there are no quickie ways to do this! UGH!:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

I could stand to lose 10 pounds myself, so I'm not the authority. (However, I AM up at 6:40 am on a Saturday-- that's GOT to count for something, right????)

If it were me, here's what I would do:

1. Between now and New Years, try very hard not to GAIN any weight. Starting a weight loss plan right now, for me, would be dooming myself to failure.

2. On January 1, begin Weight Watchers. From everything I've read and heard, it's the most successful weight loss program around there. I think it's because it works not on just taking off the pounds, but on changing the way we eat, long term.

3. Do you have a dog? Could you commit, if not to a gym membership, to taking Fido for a half hour walk twice a day?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

I have a solution that worked for me when I went on a cruise years ago....

I got pregnant a few months before the cruise :blush:...Surprise, surprise!

Ended up taking all my cruise clothes back and replacing them with maternity clothes!!!

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 4, 2010

Hello,

Firstly, I am sure you're going to look fabulous on your cruise.

This is a rather difficult time to diet and lose weight due due to all the holiday cheer and snacks... but over holiday break might be a good time to start exercise? Since you'll have several days without school it might be a way to start up the gym plan.

You could try going to the gym over the break and then make it part of your routine so you wil go 3x a week when school begins again.

One mistake I always make: When committing to a gym regime, please start slooowwww... I always tell myself that I will go 7x a week for 1 hour in the morning before school and then will go for a walk after dinner 7x as well.

Nice plan, until reality sets in on the evening of day 2 and I am beat. :)

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I am determined to not GAIN weight over the holidays, but I am really not willing to sacrifice all the yummy foods at the parties. So I starting making my lunches and breakfast ahead of time for the week so that I have something healthy to eat all week. Then I make sure we have our dinners planned out for something healthy. I am also going to start walking at lunch at work. I figure if I only splurge when I have a party, I will do ok.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 4, 2010

I know that I need to start back at the gym NOW.. today and stop talking about it and just DO IT. Also, I have been eating terrible. I think that I just need to find my WILL POWER!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 4, 2010

SCTeachInTX, I'm in the same boat as you! I don't eat that well...too much fast food, just eating too much, etc. I want to lose weight as it is, but I'm planning to go to London & Paris in 2012 & I want to look really FANTASTIC. I have a gym membership too & at my gym, the best time to go when there's the least amt of people is around 2:00 or 3:00 at the latest, but I can't always make it. Then, around 5:00, the whole after-work crowd starts coming & it's the time of the day I HATE going! :mad:

What's worked for me is to get changed & leave for the gym AS SOON AS I GET HOME FROM WORK, otherwise, if I linger at home at all, I'll get comfortable & won't feel like going. Tell other family members to start pitching in more around the house & making their own dinner...at least for a while.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

SC~what works for me is going to the gym BEFORE going home! I pack my bag the night before and put it in the car so it'll be there and I won't have to think about it in the morning. Then after work, I go to the gym and work out between 45 min-1 hour. On Tue and Thur, I do the 50 minute classes. They're cardio classes so I get my cardio in, and the other days are when I do strength training to tone up. I'm liking the way I look, but could stand to lose just a few more pounds and tone up the mid section. We're going to Europe in the summer and I want to look awesome! I don't do diet, I eat what I want, but make sure that I eat small portions of it.

10. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Dec 4, 2010

I've lost 20 pounds over two months simply following the weight watchers plan... no added daily excersize or anything.. just changing the way we eat.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 4, 2010

Thanks for the ideas.... I guess I want the easy way out. You are right. I need to pack my clothes the night before. I need to be consistent and I need to do the portion control system. Weight watchers is something I have not tried. I was thin most of my life and this is just kickin my butt. Because I cannot believe that all of a sudden this is a huge problem in my life. I know it has to do with age. And THAT sucks too. I know there is no easy fix. Any ideas, help, motivation, just send it friends. Send it. I really am tired of avoiding my reflection in mirrors and taking pictures only from the shoulders up. HELP!