What can I do...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Milsey, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 17, 2010

to make myself more employable?

I'm English 7-12 certified, and judging from message boards and the odd job fair it seems I'm competing against hundreds of people for a handful of jobs.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Think extra curricular.

It's always difficult to get people willing to commit to the really big actiivities: Yearbook, school newspaper, Speech and Debate.

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

Tutoring or mentoring? I don't know how much experience you have but showing that you enjoy working with kids even when you aren't getting paid would go far. Plus, it gives you experience. I mentor 2xs a week for 45 minutes so it doesn't have to be a huge time commitment.

Good luck!!

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2010

Be willing to do something extra than just teach.
    -- Set up an after-school club
    -- Coach a sport
    -- Be on a committee

Also, I think how you sell yourself is SO VERY important. To land my second position, I included a special "This is my class" paper (along with my resume, copies of recommendation letters, etc) that had a nice description of what someone would see if they walked into my classroom and I included pictures too. I had so many compliments on it from the school that hired me that I know it's something that really helped. :)

6. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

BioAngel, I just wanted to say I really like the "This is my class" paper that you mentioned! I will definitely be trying to put one of these together over the course of my next 2 years a student teacher and a sub. I bet they do really like seeing this. It's not something everyone does, but it is still very justifiable to turn in!