what can I do with this kid?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by puff5655, Nov 25, 2009.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 25, 2009

I have an 8-year-old in my First Grade class. He failed K once and 1st grade once in another school.

His other school had a total immersion program. So when he transferred here this year, it was his first experience ever hearing English.

This child is trying to learn language and context at the same time, and it is SO hard for him! Many times he just shuts down, puts down his head and refuses to work for the rest of the day.

My class is reading and he cannot even identify any of the letters yet, let alone sounds.

He is learning English as fast as one might expect him to, but there's no way he can keep up with the class.

I feel like he should be in my K class instead, with the level he's at, where he would get a lot more practice developing his oral language, but putting a big 8-year-old back in Kindergarten?? How embarrassing would that be for him!?

I only have 3 hours with the first grade so I don't have time to work with him one-on-one. I think he needs a one-on-one aide to work with him individually all day, but he doesn't have a spec. ed designation so I don't think that can happen.

What can I do?

I know that research says if a child is held back more than once it is a virtual statistical certainty that they will not graduate.

:(

This child is tiring me out, as he's not getting anything I'm saying, including directions, and is really acting out because of it. This sounds horrible, but I'm exhausted at the thought of having him possibly one or two more years.

3. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Nov 25, 2009

Does he speak another language at home? If so, why is he not in the ELL program? I am confused.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 26, 2009

I think catchy songs in English would help. The rhyme the rhythm.