What can I do with the certificate?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Tebb, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Tebb

Tebb Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

I am currently subbing now. All grades, all kinds of classes. I've taught for 3 years. Got my training through an alternative teaching prep program.

My last year was a disaster. I taught special ed for the 3 years and the last year, my principal decided that he didn't think I was teaching how I should for my mostly MID students. On evaluations (3) I got only two satifactory evals, and he gave me a unsatisfactory eval for the whole year. He recommended that my contract not be renewed. Yeah...I did wrong. I resigned. But he assured me that I could go to another county. I applied at several counties. I had to use him as one of my references, and I believe that he blackballed me to everyone. Like I said before, I am now subbing in the next county.

Is it possible that I could ever get a teaching job? If not, what can I do with a teaching certificate that expires in 2013? Please help!:help:

3. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

Tebb I have to tell you that was not right what he did. He sounded like a control person to me, though you might want to remove him from your contact list and complain to the school district about his. Maybe other that have left the school had similar problems??

4. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

I think a lot of people have had your question about alternative career routes with the Bachelor of Education degree. Many have asked this as a result of being disgruntled at their jobs. There are many people, who I think are in similar situations as you are, but are too embarrassed to say anything or ask for any help.

I, myself, am in a similar situation. My last year in the B.Ed program was dismal to say the least. My partner teacher didn't think I was ready to graduate from my program, but my student advisor thought otherwise. In the end I received the degree, but I probably have the worst narrative assessment to come out of the B.Ed program, which has made it impossible for me to get a teaching job. (As well as the unfortunate reputation that followed me into several interviews and background checks).

I have been in this situation for about 2 years now, and it hasn't been easy. It feels like an ongoing battle that I often question why even try anymore.

I have heard of other career options, such as working in Human Resources, or looking for trainer positions for actual companies. All these positions have evaded me so far. Currently I am working with the disabled, finding them jobs and maintaining employment. I would not recommend this career path, as the pay is extremely low and you will find the value of this work experience holds little value on your resume.

To gain experience I started volunteering at an organization where I taught ESL classes. From there they hired me as a part-time ESL teacher, and a sub for the computer class. That turned out not too bad for myself. Eventually it was decided I was not doing that great at the ESL teaching, but my other boss (for the computer class) hired me as a part-time computer teacher.

I am still looking for a permanent job where I can afford to live how most adults live. I honestly don't know what my next steps are, other then continuously applying to more jobs.

I am considering taking some Online Courses that involve budgeting, as I am finding a lot of jobs value this type of experience.

It is a battle, and it is not easy. Hopefully it will be resolved.

5. Tebb

Tebb Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

Thanks Earthdragon, and Superside. Things are hard for many of us. But thank you both for the sentiment and advice.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2008

Tebb - I have a very similar situation. I taught for 3 years, two at a middle school and the last at a high school.

My degree is in English, so I had to take 7 (yep, count 'em!) education courses to become permanently certified. My middle school was extremely helpful - mentors everywhere and people willing to help me out, give advice, and pass me tissues and chocolate. I got solid (ok, fantastic) evaluations and a lot of encouragement.

I switched to the high school because it was 30 miles closer to my home, and let's face it, that's 300 miles of gas saved each week. What a bad idea. My boss and I had serious issues - did not see eye-to-eye on teaching style. She wanted me to baby the kids and give into their whims. Also, my attendance record from her on my evaluation was "unacceptable." I missed 7 days of work - 4 for pneumonia, 3 for the flu a few moths later.

My teaching certificate expired (two more classes to go), so I didn't return. However, like you, I HAVE to use her as a reference, as my most recent supervisor. And like you, I feel I've been blackballed in my county and surrounding counties. I have 6 other fantastic references... and not a single phone call for an interview.

Like you, I am subbing. If you sub regularly at one school, you can try to use another teacher or the principal as a reference. Plus, the sub office is now your most current supervisor... so you don't have to use the other guy anymore! :)

7. Tebb

Tebb Rookie

Nov 11, 2008

Chebrutta,
    :thanks:Thank you so much for the advice. I never thought about the sub office as our current supervisor. I do have some teachers who are my references in the other county, and now I have the sub office too. I am having faith for the both of us. Thanks alot and God bless you!:hugs:

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

Listen - there are a lot of people out there in our situation. It sucks to get a bad evaluation or a bad reference based on a personality conflict. But some administrators are so freakin' high up on their horse they can't get down. And then there are some amazing ones. I spent WEEKS agonizing over my reference from her (someone goofed at the district and gave it back to me). The truth is, I may never work as a teacher in this district again because of her. When it comes down to it, it's not really HER loss to keep me out of a job and after some time to think about it, it isn't MY loss, either (though my checkbook disagrees). It's forced me into finally packing up and moving like I always wanted to :)

The only real loss I see are the kids that I might have worked with :( I am sad I didn't get to share my "Mr. Comma is feeling rejected" routine with them.