What can I do to shake things up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mileyancie, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mileyancie

mileyancie Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

Hi! I am new to my grade level this year. I am in fifth grade, and I am finding that a lot of the teachers do the same old thing in Social Studies. The students read the lesson aloud and then do workbook pages. I just cannot do this every week, I'm going nuts. However, I am having some trouble coming up with good ideas.

I've broken them up into groups where each group reads a section and then shares three or four important things from their section with the class. This works well, but I don't want to do this every single week either. I have plenty of ideas for activities and modifying workbook pages, but I can't think of any good ways to get away from reading the lessons aloud every single time. Does anyone have any tried and true methods that they use and love?

Thanks!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2009

A few of the things I do to make learning fun:
    put the information on powerpoint
    assign projects and presentations
    use Weekly Reader or Scholastic News for current events
    utilize video clips
    foldables
    readers theater
    internet research
    graphic organizers

4. mileyancie

mileyancie Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

Thanks for your ideas! I think one of the problems that I'm having is lack of technology in my classroom. I can find so many great ideas, but most require something that I don't have access to. I don't have a computer or even an overhead projector! I think that is one of the reasons that I am having a hard time.

5. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I co-taught 5th last year and the teacher was great at keeping the characters entertained. He had a lot of knowledge that he was able to share as stories about people/events in history. He used funny voices which the kids loved. He also frequently showed the kids short videos on the topic at hand. Some may have been you tube but not really sure. If you do a search you may find something to go along with the text. The kids were really into the visual stuff.

He also let the kids work in groups to complete worksheets etc. They enjoyed this as well.

An example was a video about the early explorers. The 2 kids in the movie were in a museum and would stop at a picture of Columbus or whoever. The character would talk to them and tell them what his life was like. Sort of silly but the kids loved it!

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

I always like to go to teacher stores and find books on each topic that have project ideas. That way you're still teaching the content, but can get ideas of ways to have fun with the topic.