What can I do to prepare

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by cmapp, Mar 28, 2017.

1. cmapp

cmapp Rookie

Mar 28, 2017

Hi everyone,

I will be teaching H.S chemistry for the first time this upcoming school year (2017-2018. I am fresh out of college (graduated in August), I do have some teaching experience as an Anatomy lab instructor for a few years but that is the extent of any teaching experience. I also attended a state-wide job fair last week and received some good feedback. However I'm wondering if there is anything I could be doing to prepare for the school year now because I know that my first year will be stressful.

Thank you, Chelsea

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 28, 2017

Read "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong and "Tools for Teachers" by Fred Jones. Figure out what your expectations are for daily procedures - entering the room, getting supplies, what they're doing when they come in, going to the restroom, leaving class, etc. Write out every step of every procedure you may need so you're ready to teach it when the first day hits. Find some behavior management strategies you want to try (First Days of School will help with a lot of this).

Get behavior management figured out and everything else will be a lot less stressful.

Edit: Also, know that around October you'll probably start feeling majorly disillusioned with teaching and it's TOTALLY NORMAL. My district has meetings for new teachers and one of the first ones was about the ebb and flow of a first year teacher's feelings about their job - it's totally normal to be crazy stressed, overwhelmed, and feeling like nothing is going right. Push through it. I got really depressed during that stage of this year, around the end of September to November (this is my first year) and I ended up starting counseling because of it - so take care of yourself and be aware that it does happen.

MLB711, cmapp and Obadiah like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2017

Know your standards backwards, forwards, and upside-down.

MLB711, cmapp and Obadiah like this.
  5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 28, 2017

Have a plan for keeping track of deadlines, data, and special ed paperwork. Decide how you want to store and organize materials.

I second the know your standards, and your procedures. If in doubt, make a plan for everything! Having an organized classroom with your expectations, paperwork, and procedures will make a world of difference.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    MLB711 and cmapp like this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 28, 2017

Duplicate post

cmapp likes this.
  7. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 29, 2017

Set expectations right at the start. And be prepared for your lessons. Be prepared for hard yards in the first year but find your routine and it gets easier. And you don't always have to prepare everything from scratch. Getting resources from the Internet and personalising it for your students is fine. Making all resources from scratch will add unneccessary stress and time away from worthwhile things like providing meaningful feedback which takes a lot of time but is one of the things that really make a difference

jagzfan128, cmapp and Obadiah like this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 29, 2017

This is often overlooked, but physical and nutritional fitness is a huge plus for teachers, especially for the first couple of years. You will be less tired, experience less stress, and have sufficient energy for each day. It would help to include in your routine of exercises those which benefit the neck, ankles, knees, and those which inhibit carpal tunnel syndrome.

cmapp likes this.
  9. cmapp

cmapp Rookie

Mar 30, 2017

Thank you all for your helpful comments! I will definitely start with these tips :)

10. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 30, 2017

As others have mentioned, know your standards, physically prepare yourself for long days and try to be as involved outside of the classroom as possible. Volunteer to sponsor clubs, go to sporting events, etc. Students and coworkers notice these kinds of things and it'll be much easier for you, as a first year teacher, to earn respect.

cmapp likes this.
  11. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 31, 2017

I agree, but at the same time, it's important to remember that you're human; be cautious not to overschedule yourself. If you sponsor a club, you might want to first try one with a partner. I would definitely, definitely, definitely try to attend sporting events, drama activities, concerts, etc. at the school; the students appreciate it when their teachers show interest in their personal endeavors.

cmapp likes this.
  12. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 31, 2017

I am someone who is finishing up my first year teaching. This may seem like duh but know your content very well! This will save time doing extra studying before you teach. After all, you do have to explain content when you are teaching and be able to answer student questions.

cmapp and Obadiah like this.
  13. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 1, 2017

Especially as it pops up in the news and current events.

cmapp likes this.