What bulletin boards do you use in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EiffelTower, Jun 28, 2010.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I have very limited space in terms of bulletin boards so I want to make sure that I make the most of what I have. I will definitely have a board to display student work. That's about as far as I've gotten! Does anyone have a reading or math focus wall? If so, what do you include on it?

3. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

i will only have one bulletin board split into two smaller ones. I will use one as a job board and not sure what I will do with the other yet! I also use part of my whiteboard as a bulletin board and hang stuff on it becuase I dont use a lot of whiteboard space for writing

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Can you get creative in terms of makeshift bulletin boards? Some ideas:
    closet doors
    front of your desk
    cover open shelving with bulletin board paper
    pull shades part way down

5. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

Good thread, I'm kind of in the same boat!. I'm interested to know if anyone has any good ideas for making bulletin boards. I used some of the rolled up cork board last year and it was okay once I got it up, but getting it up was a NIGHTMARE. It came with 3M mounting squares......and then fell off. I thumbtacked the crap out of it and then THOSE started falling off, so I used jumbo thumbtacks to hold it up.

I just have a tiny, square bulletin board in my classroom (as tall as a normal board and then as wide as it is tall), and I plan on using most of my whiteboard since I teach math.

I would like to keep a small bulletin board around my desk for About Ms. Heymiss type pictures. My kids last year LOVED looking at my pictures on the way to and from their desks and would sometimes hang out after school to talk about my dog. That's why I bought the disastrous rolled up cork last year.

I would also like an organizational-type board behind my desk. I did this last year and it was awesome. Each section had a color coded vinyl file folder stuck to the wall, and that's where I put graded papers that needed to be passed out. I also had two wipe-off calendars so I could have assemblies/tests/field trips/etc on the wall for two months at a time.

When I taught 4th grade math, I had a word wall that had all of our vocabulary words on it. Those kids are learning a LOT of new words, especially when you get to fractions.

6. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I'll definitely make my own bulletin boards because two is just not enough. I just staple butcher paper to the wall, add a pretty border and then add whatever content I want to display on it.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

A trifold screen can be used as a bulletin board. They can be pricey but you might one find at a yard or rummage sale. I have made mini bulletin boards out of trifold presentation boards. I have no bulletin board space at all in my room. I am permitted to run wire from one end of the room to the other. I hang student work from this.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

One year I had a room with no bulliton boards. I got permission to paint a 5X8 wall with paint that will hold magnets. It is gray so I had to paint the original cover over it. It worked well. I used magnets to hold up student work and borders.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I have an ELA focus board, a Calendar Math board, and a Science/SS board. I don't have any more BB room, so here's how I post the rest:

Sound/Letter cards are (literally) strung on twine along the top of the wall over our windows.

Student work is paper-clipped to our window blinds or on a "clothesline."

I'm considering using the front of the lockers for a word wall... thoughts?

My birthday poster is on the inside of our door, as is our "How we get home" poster.

My classroom jobs chart is on the outside of the closet door.

I have posters up high, above the dry-erase and smartboard, and above the lockers as well.

I usually do some form of seasonal display on the bricks outside my classroom (we have single-sided "wings" with covered walkways).

I definitely have a print-rich environment!

10. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

What do you have on display on your ELA focus board?

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

Each week, it has (not in any order):
    (main) story title, author, illustrator, and genre
    Grammar focus
    Fluency focus
    Comprehension skill focus
    Comprehension strategy
    Spelling words (10) and dictation sentence
    New and review high-frequency words
    Phonics focus
    Robust Vocabulary words (6), including picture and definition
    Writing trait and form

I take the spelling down on Thursday (I do a "practice" spelling test) and don't put it back up until the new board on Monday (or whenever the new lesson starts).

I want to start a math board (not calendar math), but I'm not sure where!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

Oh, and I usually have my ELA center rotation chart showing on our SmartBoard, because I don't use it during centers!

13. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

Those are almost all the things that I put on my reading focus wall, so at least I'm on the right track with that. What do you think you'd put on a math focus wall?

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

vocabulary words, signs (+, -, =, etc.), example facts/problems, exemplary work. Suggestions?

15. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

What about extension problems that allow students to work at a higher level or center activities students can do when they finish an assignment?

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I don't think I'll put those on a "board," per se, but I do have baskets and/or file folders for extension (or "early finisher") activities. I'm planning to try to implement math centers this year, too, so we'll see!

17. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I only have 1 bb in my room as well. We have cinder block walls and hanging things can be interesting. Love my low temp hot glue gun! ;-) One thing I did do last year to make myself some extra bbs was take foam board (from the dollar tree!) and hang it up with a pretty border on it. That way it added a place for me to hang up more stuff!

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

DollarTree is my second favorite resource - next to VistaPrint (and all pale in comparison to AtoZ)! :wub:

19. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I have an "FYI" board that holds a monthly calendar of important dates, activities, test dates, etc. It also has the lunch menu and our sign in page/lunch count. I also post any other important things up on this board, since they look at it every morning.

Over my bookshelves we have a "Books We Love" where the kids write book reviews of their favorite books.

I split the board in half over the bookshelves and the other half is a word wall for content words.

20. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

MsG: I like the idea of an FYI board. I just am not sure where I can put one of them in my classroom. I'll have to give it some thought.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

I keep bulletin boards empty at the beginning of the year. I have 2 large boards and one small board. I use the 2 large boards for literacy anchor charts, which we make as a class (one board alone is used for Daily 5 I-charts). Last year I used the small board for our "Author of the Month" but this year I am going to use it for our literacy Cafe menu.

I use part of a chalkboard for our calendar time stuff (held up with magnetic clips). For other posters (such as colors, shapes, who lost a tooth, birthdays, etc.), I use the other wall space and cabinet doors. Personally, I don't like a lot of stuff on the walls...I think some classrooms are just too busy!

Also, student work is displayed in the hallway.

22. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

I have one large BB that I split in two. This year 1/2 will be my literacy CAFE menu and the other 1/2 will be a writing BB. I hang student work from a clothesline with clothespins. I utilize every "blank" space I can for anything else I want to put up.

23. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

At my school we are required to have:
    1. Writing traits displayed (I made that into a bulletin board)
    2. Word Wall (but, I am ELL so it has to be a "grammar word wall"
    3. Student Work
    4. Subject board (math, reading, etc.)

I have added:
    5. Classroom Info (class pics, school and playground rules, lunch calender)
    6. Student of the week/Calender

Plus we have a bulletin board in the hallway.
    I had to make the student work board by stapling butcher paper to the wall and added a boarder.

24. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! You've definitely got me thinking now...

25. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 29, 2010

Last year I did it on the side of my white board, because I didn't have space in my classroom. It didn't take up too much room!

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

27. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I use hot glue to put clothespins on the wall. I use them to put up notices or posters, and the kids use them to display their work. It's a good way for me to use several posters during key times instead of putting up everything at the beginning of the year.

28. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I did something similar to the FYI BB this past year. I had a "News" section on my whiteboard. I found newspaper border from Dollar Tree and put magnetic tape on the back to make a small rectangle then I had magenets and would post fliers, book orders, calendars, HW, etc. It also helped me have "extras" If someone lost a paper I would make them a copy from the News BB.
    I have a pic I just have no idea how to insert it.

29. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I went into my classroom for the first time today; no bulletin boards. Looks like I'm making my own. I want a board for my
    calendar/helpers/birthdays
    Homework-oploy
    Science/Social Studies
    WordWalls