What books on teaching should a newbie teacher read?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by BioAngel, Apr 5, 2008.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 19, 2008

I'm going to be updated the first post soon ^_^ I'm currently doing professional development workshops at the school I'll be teaching at and alot of books have been recommended to us... I'll remember add those to the list too.

2. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

I'll be interested! :D

3. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Hi, I'm interested in reading books for ...

Hi,

I'm interested in reading books for new teachers teaching Middle School or High School. In particular organizing and putting together plans, schedules. Any suggestions? :thanks:

Also, some of the post on Amazon regarding Wong's book were pretty negative. Yet, many here seem to find it quite useful. Just something I noticed. I had Wong's book on my list and took it off after reading some of the negative post from buyers but I will have to reconsider it now. Thanks. :)

4. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

I've never believed in reading books written by people who don't teach in a classroom as usually, the information is great sounding and in theory, sounds like a great idea, but when rubber meets road, it never works.

you want advice, ask a veteren teacher at your school

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 30, 2008

Read Wong. Just like all the others on management, you have to figure out what works for you in your class. Each year it will change with the students. He does have some good ideas, some you may use and some you may not. :)

6. BioAngel

Jun 30, 2008

Everybody is gonna be a critic. All I know is that most teachers--- including myself--- who have read his book, swear by it. The retiring teacher I'm taking over for even loved it and said she learned alot of wonderful things and she's been teaching for decades!

Every educator should have a copy of that book, should read it, should learn from it, and should discuss it with others. :up:

7. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

i like the one by Fred Jones ( don't remember the name of it, but the book it bright blue) I also like the series of books "The ____ teacher's book of lists" there is a different book of lists for every type of teacher. For those of you who wish to brush up on spec ed/are new to it William Heward's book is awesome. Oh, and for those of you who have just graduated "Why didn't i learn this is college" is great.

8. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for the great feedback

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm going to put Wong's book back on my list of books to read and continue to add your suggestions. Thank you for clearing it up for me. :)

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

These are great suggestions! I've copied them all down onto a word doc and will keep adding as I need more help in different areas as a ST and a 1st Year :)

Thanks AtoZ!! :)

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

This is a great thread - I am also pasting them into a word document so I can reference them! I do already a few of them but am always looking for more!

11. BioAngel

Jul 5, 2008

List in the first post has been updated :D Thank you all for the suggestions made so far!!

12. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for middle school special ed???

Thanks

13. nkconard

nkconard New Member

Jul 19, 2008

Definitely read Choice Words I dont know who it is by. But it is a great book that gets you thinking about how you are talking to your students and how simple a few words can be that can change your whole school year. We had a whole school lit. discussion on this book. VERY GOOD!

14. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

Thank you!!

15. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

The First Six Weeks of School by Paula Denton and Roxann Kriete has been an amazing resource for me!

I'm starting my first year in September and I don't know what I would have done without it! It's from the Responsive Classroom series. They have a bunch on Amazon, and they're all great. But if you're going to just get one- get this one!

16. BioAngel

Jun 18, 2009

*bumping this thread up*

Okay another school year done, many of us have learned a few things and have probably READ a lot about teaching. Any new books to add??

17. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Book specifically for new teachers.

The Superior Educator, A Calm and Assertive Approach to Classroom Management and Large Group Motivation

I wrote this book and it just came out this month. My main reason for writing this book was to provide a resource for my students that have gone on to become teachers. It's written in a conversational tone and is straight to the point. No padding, just good content and real stories.

I can provide a discount code for anyone on this forum who would like a copy. The book is written around 20 educational routines that will guarantee success in the classroom. The last part of the book specifically deals with what it takes to lead large groups of students.

Here's the foreword form Dr. Robert Gifford.

Foreword

A desire of every teacher is that many of our students will have had their lives enriched positively and that at least a few of them will have been sufficiently influenced to assimilate our teachings, while developing basic concepts even further. In this way, effective teaching practices become the culmination of generations of teachers and students.

A good teacher welcomes students who question the status quo, and Stephen McClard was just such a student. He has continued to question, explore, and develop his knowledge and techniques as a teacher and shares his journey as well as discoveries with the reader.

There is no shortage of self-help books on the market, except for teachers. This book fills this void by presenting ideas centered on the importance of examining our own behaviors, attitudes, and self-expectations as they relate to particular teaching techniques. Not only does this book contain numerous “gems of wisdom” for the novice teacher, but it will be enlightening to the experienced teacher as well.

The book is organized so that reading a chapter a week, while assimilating the techniques into your own teaching style, will provide you with many of the skills necessary to maintain better classroom management and to enhance the learning environment. Enjoy using this “field manual for survival in the classroom.”

Robert M. Gifford, D.M.A.
    Professor Emeritus of Music

18. Druin

Druin Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Here's mine...

For math teachers: Every Minute Counts (and 2 sequels) by David R. Johnson

General:
    Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones
    How to Talk so Kids can Learn by Faber and Mazlish
    Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites by Tate

19. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

Recommended books

Just finished Dealing With Difficult Parents today. Wish I'd read that years ago. Principal gave it to me this year - can't thank him enough!

First Days of School - Definitely! My cooperating teacher also recommended that to me. Our district handed a copy to all new teachers. I skim thru every year.

Ditto on the Marzano book.

Tools for Teaching
    - another great one. Have re-read parts several times over past three years.

Ron Clark anything - very interesting guy.
    Positive Discipline in the Classroom - Nelsen, Lot, and Glenn.
    The Laughing Classroom: Everyone's Guide to Teaching with Humor and Play - Loomans and Kolberg

20. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Sep 14, 2009

I second the Ron Clark and also "Diary of a First Year Teacher" by Esme Raji Coddell if no one has mentioned that yet. It was a book that made me want to become a teacher and it has been nice to flip through for encouragement during my first month as a "real live" teacher. She is hilarious and politically incorrect and had a first year position that makes my job seem like a cake walk :)

21. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

the marzano book is excellent! choice words was highly recommended to me by one of my professors.

22. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I am in the minority on Wong's book. I disliked the book mainly due to the organization and way he describes things. I think this has to do though with the fact that I read another book, The First Year Teacher Survival Kit by Julie Thompson before I read the Wong book. The Survival Kit is huge and has a lot of great and detailed ideas. I am a detail type of person so this book helped me more.

I also found the Mailbox magazine to be a great subscription. So far it has been a wonderful resource for ideas. Also, check out the scholastic website for some great books.

One of my favorite structures I came across was Dr. Kagan's Cooperative Learning and Win-Win Discipline. Both are available in book form through the Kagan website. :D

23. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Sep 29, 2009

I'm also a huge fan of the Julie Thompson book although the Wong book is still a great resource. What is very important for me is that the writers of both books are real working teachers, not "education professors". The details in the Thompson book are telling - any real working teacher will know they are hearing words from a good veteran teacher with solid experience in the field. If you have to read only 1 book, I would recommend the Thompson book.

:2cents:

24. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

For content stuff that is written by "real teachers" check out anything coming out of the Heinneman group...Strategies That Work, Mosaic of Thought, and many others from that publisher are written by a group of educators out of Denver. Amazing stuff.