What books do you read the first week?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MzMooreTeaches, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

So what books are typically ready the first week, 2nd week of school? I'm wondering if you read "mainstream" books. Although I do know that there's a lot of children books specifically for Montessori Classrooms.

Suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks ladies

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Our book shelf is full of books, so the children can select their own books and sit and look at them if they want to. Our focus is more on taking care of the books, handling them gently, turning the pages carefully so they don't rip....those kinds of things.

I do have a book about manners in the montessori classroom that I read the first week and then we talk about it. I also have a book called, "Our peaceful classroom" that we read at some point during that first week as well. It's a beautiful story with children's illustrations and the kids love it.

The first two weeks for us, during morning meeting, is spent going over procedures and groundrules. It's hard for me as a teacher to go over all of this stuff so much, but the clearer and more simply you can present it, the better they remember and it sticks.

I would check out montessori services online

http://www.montessoriservices.com/store/

and Michael Olaf:

http://www.michaelolaf.net/

Look in their book sections and you'll find some really neat books. Maybe your school has some of them.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

Thanks as always Tracy! I have requested some of these books through the library already.

We're going to meet this coming week to discuss and go over how the classroom as well as the first couple of weeks should look. But I like to over prepare and have some things ready "just in case" they are not there.

I know a rule of thumb is to not assume anything.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

You're smart to look over things just in case. The nice thing about being new to Montessori is that you'll have some great ideas.

Let me know how the meeting goes!