What book or class had impact???--written resp.

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by lemonhead, Mar 10, 2007.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 10, 2007

Tell us how a professional development session, a class you’ve taken or a book you’ve recently read has impacted your teaching.

I recently completed an Equity and Diversity Course through Univ of Blah. I grew up with the belief that we are all the same regardless of ethnicity. However, the class really drove home the idea that simply accepting or tolerating diversity is not enough. We have to act. As teachers, not catering to children’s unique backgrounds and experiences is an injustice and will not promote equity in learning. I now try to mix in multicultural content where appropriate, especially during classroom discussions. A couple examples would be when I had kindergarten student share her Hanukah dance or when we talked about Greek, Jewish, and Mexican breads in our food pyramid discussion. When I have my own classroom, I’ll be able to look ahead through the curriculum and choose appropriate topics to infuse with multicultural content.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

Where are you applying? I hate when they have you fill out a book just to apply.
    I had kindergarten student share her Hanukah dance

You need "I had a kindergarten student.......

When I have my own classroom, I’ll be able to look ahead through the curriculum and choose appropriate topics to infuse with multicultural content.

I would change this to read In my classroom I will..........

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 10, 2007

Okay, thank You-

Sheesh- I still have like 10 more to go.

I'm struggling with a response to

5. How do you provide for the individual differences in students?

I'm thinking they mean in my teaching and not bringing out and celebrating that child's differences.

There is also this one:

4. How would you foster a positive self-concept in your students?
    -and I assume that is the celebrating the difference and allowing them to see successes etc

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

Those are hard questions because you can't ask them what they are looking for.

4. How would you foster a positive self-concept in your students?
    In my classroom I have worked on community building. I have found that if students accept each other for who they are, then each student is more likely to have a high self esteem. Basically a student has to be comfortable in your classroom, and once they feel comfortable they will have the confidence to participate and so on. I'm not sure if that is what they would be looking for but that is the route I personally would take.

5. How do you provide for the individual differences in students? I wonder what types of differences (learning behavior.....)
    I suppose I would go with learning difference and how you would meet the learning needs of all students.