What big ticket item would you want for your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 10, 2014

Hey, guys!

Each fall our school has a 'Walk with Pride' fundraiser. Technically the kids are suppose to get pledges and then walk laps on a Saturday to raise money for their classroom. In reality, parents end up just writing a check.

Last year I raised a measly $100. Some teachers brought in over $1500. I had no idea how to 'market' myself, so I'm trying to figure out a new strategy this year. A teacher told me it helps to have a big ticket item that you tell parents you are going to use the money on, and then they feel like they are really contributing towards something. Truth be told, I want the funds for incidentals like ink cartridges, food for Family Nights, TpT projects, etc. But I'm open to the idea.

If you were going to advertise a big ticket to your families as a fundraising goal, what would it be? I already have 10 mini iPads. I don't need a new computer. I'll get getting a 3d printer this spring. I have an elmo and smartboard. I have a ton of books.

The teacher suggested a podium of some sort for the middle of the room where kids can come up and present through technology? Maybe I could move my elmo to it? I would need a longer cord, but the idea is a good one.

What would you get? Something that would add a lot of value to the classroom, but wouldn't be so crazy expensive that I would still have a little left for incidentals. ;)

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2014

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head (as I work on millions of assessments) -- perhaps some kind of mic system where you could have you voice being evenly distributed from the middle of the room (I think the one we have is called Front Row or something like that)? Ease the need to talk loudly and allow students to better hear, even if you are far away or turned in the opposite direction.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2014

Another thought - could you do it towards a class subscription to something? Such as Scholastic News of some sort, IXL subscription, buying some enrichment or support activities (for example, in math: Think Tank / Zupelz) that could boost student learning?

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2014

Do you have clickers?

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 10, 2014

This is what I would do...There are so many neat websites out there!

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 10, 2014

Clickers are awesome! There is a site somewhere you can (easily) get a matching grant. I can't remember the name right now, but man I love those things.

Scholarship to Space Camp?

Robotics kit?

Model kits?

Dissection kits?

I'm trying to think of expensive fun stuff that we normally don't have budget for.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2014

Field trips?

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2014

A field trip?

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2014

Haha just saw someone posted my idea right before me. Also maybe an author visit? Those can be very pricey- but rewarding.