What Big Book do you begin your year?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Carolyn, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Although though we teach first grade, our babies begin their year with knowledge from kinder. I begin my shared reading lessons mainly teaching concepts of print. I was wondering what are a few of your favorite big books that you use for the first few weeks. And when do you begin moving them into concepts of comprehension?

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

We use the Wright Group series for our shared reading lessons. Since I taught kinder last year I am not familiar with the big books in first, although there were a lot of Joy Cowley ones last year. I will probably just do some poems on chart paper for the first couple of weeks, then move into the big books since there are not enough to cover the whole year. I might look in our library to see if there are any that would pertain to my themes for the first month. I would look for books with lots of repetition. Sorry I couldn't help more!

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Forgot to mention the comprehension part! We use Making Meaning and Text Talk for whole group reading comprehension (making connections, inferring, sequencing, etc.). I believe we start that the third or fourth week? Although, sometimes I just do that informally with any read aloud.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

The first couple weeks we are going to do reading lessons with community building and character ed literature. We'll also do shared reading with nursery rhymes and songs. I'll model procedures for reading workshop using big books, from Wright Group I'm pretty sure, and we'll start our first comprehension unit on schema in September.

6. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 8, 2008

I always do Leo the Late Bloomer on the first day of school because I always had some kids who came in reading and some who didn't so it was a great discussion builder.

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 8, 2008

I got How Do Dinosaurs Go to School this year, so I might use that one.